ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Meeting  held on Wednesday 16 October 2002

in the Village Hall at 7.30 pm

 

 

Present: Peter Wombwell (Vice Chairman), Sheila Birch, Jane Hurst, Jenny Lawson, Tim Pavelin, Tessa Wright-Watson, Jackie Casement (Clerk) and five members of the public.

 

228/02 Apologies.  Apologies for absence were received from James Macdonald and Robin Driver.  Absent: Tony Mertz.

 

229/02 Guest Speaker, Mr Ray Jones, from the Imperial War Museum.  Mr Jones spoke on safety and noise.  He reassured the meeting on safety issues.  Noise is inevitable with an airfield and pilots do not always adhere to the guidelines.  The flight zone for take off and landing should ensure that planes do not fly over Duxford village.  If anyone feels that noise is excessive, they should ring the airfield at once so that the matter can be dealt with.  Future plans may include the conversion of the Officers Mess to a high quality hotel.  A longer runway would be safer but there are no plans to extend it at present.  Mr Jones was thanked for coming to speak.

 

230/02 Minutes of the last meeting

Item 221/02 Wellcome Trust, should read “James Macdonald, Sheila Birch and Jenny Lawson …”.  The minutes were then approved and signed by the Vice-Chairman.

 

231/02 Matters Arising

218/02 Finance, War Memorial.  Planting plan going ahead; Catherine Cocks asked to leave a space in front for the wreath to be laid on Remembrance Sunday.  Iain Moore is happy with plan and will kindly continue to maintain the area.

222/02 Playarea.  The Clerk’s researches showed that companies supplying matting preferred to install it themselves to maintain ROSPA standards.  The cheapest rate would cost roughly £1,500.00 for the area around the spring horse and chick and under the aerial runway. Detailed quotations to be obtained for the next meeting.

224/02 Grass Verges.  Peter Wombwell reported the destruction of a new hedge on his land along Grange Road by the contractors.  Complaints to Highways revealed that they should not have cut there anywhere.  It was agreed to write to Highways and to the Environmental Department to press them for a more sensitive approach to the cutting, recognising biodiversity action plans and stressing the need to guide and control the contractors.

225/02 Coploe Pit. .  The Clerk to chase Ron Coulson to clear the debris left by the Cambridge Greenbelt Project  (the correct name for the group.  A new cheque was issued in place of the one made out to Cambridge Wildlife Trust). Ned Tozer has kindly offered a corner of his field for a bonfire.  The volunteers due on Sunday 6 October were unable to come.  Sheila hopes to reschedule them for early next year.  The wire fence surrounding the pit was installed by the previous owner.

226/02 Village Hall activities.  A list of weekly activities is displayed on the notice board.

 

 

232/02 Youth Representation, Skateboarding and Rollerblading

These two items were taken together.  Jethro Holbery, Sam Moss and Elizabeth Moss attended in support of the proposed Working Party.  It was agreed to wait a week or so for any further response and then call a meeting of the Working Party, with a representative from the Parish Council.  It was considered that the response had been poor and that if no one else came forward the plan may have to be scrapped.  The three in support were thanked for coming and offering help.  A vote was taken on whether to reiterate request for support in Icene and the proposal rejected.oHoHol

 

233/02 Correspondence

The following correspondence had been received:-

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, reply from Inspector Maycock

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, Sawston Newsheets

Andrew Lansley MP, reply re police issues

Community Safety partnership letter re available funding

CCC – Review of Contracted Bus Services – questionnaire

CCC – Jointly Funded Minor Improvement Schemes – requesting bids

CCC Highways, re minor repairs

SCDC re Register of Electors

SCDC re broken sign, Birds Close

CACL re recent AGM, etc.

Copy letter from James Macdonald to Gordon Woolhouse re village hall bookings

Copy letter from James Macdonald to families interested in skateboarding facility

CCC re Local Transport Plan

Cambridgeshire ACRE re Parish Plans

National Council for Voluntary Organisations – forum at Duxford

SCDC questionnaire on village facilities for those on housing list (completed)

Community Mediation Service, information and invitation

CCC Regional Planning information re proposals

SCDC Planning, document covering proposed changes to Regional Planning

CPRE information about proposed airport expansion

S. Cambs. Primary Care Trust – bulletin.

Those letters not read out to be circulated to councillors.

 

234/02 Planning

There were no plans to consider.

 

235/02 Finance

Cheques received:-

SCDC, grant towards cost of new swings, £860.00

Peasgoods Funeral Directors, for memorial £35.00

The following cheques were signed:-

W Hart & Son, for October Icene                                        £50.10

Carr and Bircher, for skip to clear garage on Recreation Field     £70.50

C. Frankau, for painting bus shelters, installing litter bin, etc  £264.02

J Casement, 3 months salary plus expenses                            £646.45

Stop Stansted Expansion Campaign (see item below)                   £50.00

The lock on the garage door has been changed as it was causing trouble.

 

 

236/02 Adjournment for questions from members of the public

Graham Igglesden mentioned the lack of cats eyes on Duxford Road since the resurfacing.  The Clerk to write to Highways.

Elizabeth Moss mentioned the siting of the proposed skateboard ramp. This will be dealt with when and if the SCDC Sports Representative is consulted again.

 

237/02 Village Hall Driveway. 

The Clerk had obtained a quote for the driveway to be sprayed with bitumen and rolled with 10mm gravel, in the hope that a change of surface would deter rollerblading.  The Village Hall Committee had met and in Gordon Woolhouse’s absence his letter of response was read out.  The Committee wished to defer taking a decision as they were unconvinced that the gravel surface would deter the rollerbladers, one of whom has now left the village.  They will reconsider the issue in the spring.

 

238/02 Wellcome Trust – report from liaison meetings

Work will probably begin during November, following the decision of the SCDC Planning Committee due shortly.  Prior to Christmas this will mainly be fencing and tree surgery.  The gas main is being re-routed and the overhead electricity supply crossing the wetland area has been laid underground.  Sheila and Jenny will attend the meeting on 29 October; rabbit cull to coincide with the Ickleton effort to be requested.

 

239/02 Duxford School

Letter from Headmistress, Sue Dorrington, requesting funding towards the creation of an outdoor area or “classroom” and provision of CCTV for security reasons, was read out.  It was agreed in principle to contribute, but the Clerk to request clarification of costs involved, number of pupils from Ickleton as percentage of total roll and level of donation expected.  To be discussed at November meeting.

 

240/02 Stansted Airport Expansion

It was agreed to join the Stop Stansted Expansion campaign and send a donation of £50.00; proposed by Sheila Birch, seconded by Peter Wombwell and all agreed.  To be mentioned in Icene.

 

241/02 Rabbit Cull

Peter Wombwell is planning a concerted effort in November by all farmers and landowners.  It was agreed to reimburse Peter for the materials needed to deal with the warrens along the cemetery boundary.  Wellcome to be asked to act at the same time.

 

242/02 Any Other Business

Tim Pavelin suggested the Clerk write to McDonalds, Environmental Services and Hinxton Parish Council about the increased levels of fast food litter.

He also suggested Environmental Services be alerted to derelict caravan beside Back Lane.

He also asked, on behalf of Gordon Woolhouse, for agreement to a three hoop bicycle rack being installed near the village hall door.  All agreed.

Jenny Lawson reminded the Clerk that the cherry tree on the green needs trimming.

Jane Hurst commented on the potential danger of slates on the semi derelict chapel in Frogge Street hanging askew right beside the road.  The Clerk to write to SCDC.

Peter Wombwell reminded to Clerk to ensure the poppy wreath is available for Remembrance Sunday and to liaise with Catherine Cocks on the re-planting.

He also reminded the Clerk to check on the new hedgerow beside footpath 9 and contact Leone Harrison about replanting.  The Clerk to order bare root replacement plants as necessary.

 

243/02 Date of next meeting

Wednesday 20 November at 7.30 in the Village Hall.