ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 December 2002

in the Village Hall at 7.30 pm

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Peter Wombwell (Vice Chairman), Sheila Birch, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Jackie Casement (Clerk) and one member of the public.

 

259/02 Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Jenny Lawson, Robin Driver and Tessa Wright-Watson.

Absent: Tony Mertz

 

260/02 Minutes of the previous meeting.

These were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

261/02 Matters Arising

224/02 Grass Verges.  A reply had been received saying that a survey by the Wildlife Trust could be carried out along Grange Road and if the results fulfilled the criteria it could be designated a Protected Roadside Verge.  The Clerk had requested this survey be carried out.

241/02 Rabbit Cull.  Peter reported plans to carry this out in the New Year.

242/02 Derelict caravan in Back Lane.  Environmental Health department has recommended it be demolished and is keeping an eye on the situation.  There is also a derelict car on the site and rats.

Dangerous slates on old chapel have been secured.

Replanting of hedgerow on footpath 9.  The clerk reported collecting the bare root plants to be planted within a day or so.

248/02 Correspondence – Parish Paths Partnership.  Sarah Smith is quite happy for the stile to be replaced by a kissing gate.  The Clerk will complete the forms for a grant.  Footpath between Back Lane and Abbey Street.  Peter Wombwell offered some road planings to restore the muddy surface.  The Clerk to ask Charlie Frankau to do the work.

Highways Department.  The Clerk was asked to arrange a meeting with David Lines in early January to bring to his attention all the outstanding works promised.  Also to emphasise once again the problems of increasing volumes of traffic, the requests for traffic calming measures, and the increased traffic along Grange Road, being unsuitably narrow.

257/02 Any Other Business.  The Clerk has written requesting a ‘Residents Parking Only’ notice for the lay-by in Grange Road, but has not yet received a reply.

 

262/02 Youth Representation

There was no one present.

 

263/02 Correspondence

The following correspondence had been received.

Andrew Lansley MP re compensation for loss of power late October

Andrew Lansley MP re meeting with police about illegal hare coursing

CCC Highways re potholes and broken bollard

CCC Highways re cats eyes

CCC Countryside Services Team re grass verges in Grange Road

CCC re Performance Assessment

CCC, Parish Paths Partnership annual report

GoEast re renewable energy and the planning system – questionnaire

Environment Agency re flood warnings

CCC re Restoration/improvement of field in Great Chesterford

Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee – minutes

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service – annual report

CALC, Bulletin and information on training courses

SCDC re precept 2003/04

Cambridgeshire Constabulary – Sawston Newsheet

SCDC – recycling collection new arrangements

Professor Turner and Dr. Richardson re accident in Frogge Street

Braintree College – poster re courses

CCC – Drink Drive poster

Hinxton PC  - copy letter re McDonalds litter

SCDC re sand and bags at Rectory Farm for flood defence purposes

Wellcome Trust – December report on south field site

Wellcome Trust – re diversion of by-way 7 during wetland development

Stop Stansted Expansion – bulletin

NSPCC asking for donation

South Cambridgeshire Community Safety Conference – details

Pamela Parr copy correspondence re delays in bus service

Gordon Woolhouse, accepting Parish Council’s offer of help to keep the Village Hall car park tidy.  The Clerk to ask Ron Coulson to help Gordon.

Gordon Woolhouse, enclosing copy of Village Hall accounts.

 

Those letters and documents not read out to be circulated to Councillors.

 

The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Inman (Duxford Airfield), Mott Macdonald (Civil Engineers), with copies to Planning, requesting that exposed concrete blocks on the bunkers of the Film Store in Grange Road be sympathetically painted.

 

264/02 Planning

Decisions received from District Council.  Approval given to:

S/0790/02/O erection of buildings for Research and Development together with Ancillary Facilities and Infrastructure, land south of Genome campus, Hinxton Hall.

S/1996/02/F, 1 Mill Lane, extension

S/1694/02/F, 4 Butchers Hill, 3 Rooflights.

S/2037/02/PNT, additional antennae on Vodafone mast with equipment cabin.

Applications for the Parish Council to consider.

S/2313/2002/LB, unblocking of window opening in gable and reinstatement of lath and plaster, 22 Abbey Street.  No objection, although it was acknowledged that the neighbour might wish to comment.

S/2314/2002/F, Extensions, 39 Church Street.  No objection.

 

Earth from the site off Coploe Road has been deposited on a field in Brookhampton Street.  The Environment Agency, County Council and SCDC Enforcement Officer are looking into this.

265/02 Finance

The Clerk reported receiving a cheque for £500.00, to be spent on replanting along Byway 7 when work associated with the Wellcome Trust development is finished.

 

The following cheques were signed:

W Hart & Son, for December Icene                                                    £50.10

Philip J Warren (Ipswich) for playgrade bark                                     £552.25

P T Pinner & Son (Thimbleset Nurseries) for hedging plants            £14.70

Ickleton Village Hall, rent for meetings                                               £55.00

Duxford School, donation                                                                       £250.00

 

Finance Working Party.  A meeting was arranged for 12 January to consider the precept for 2003/04.  The Clerk to prepare figures.

 

Risk Assessment.  In accordance with the internal auditor’s recommendations, the Chairman asked Councillors to consider any areas of exposure or risk to the Parish Council that had not already been covered.

 

266/02 Adjournment for questions from members of the public.

Gordon Woolhouse asked about traffic calming measures.  He also mentioned the footbridge on Byway 7 (beyond Mill Lane) which needs attention and the proposed surface of the byway when the Wellcome Trust work is completed.  These matters to be raised at the next Wellcome Liaison meeting.  The Clerk to enquire whether the bridge is, or should be, listed.  Gordon also mentioned the holes in the wall between the village hall driveway and the Old School House.  He will write to the owner.

 

 267/02 Report from Skatepark working party.

Tim Pavelin reported that two meetings had taken place and the mood was very positive.  Quotes are being obtained for the street course that the young people have recommended; the first received is for £13,000.  Others are researching available grants and organising fund raising events, the first being a Village Disco on 23 December.  Letters are being written to local businesses requesting support and Tim and James Macdonald will approach the Wellcome Trust.  James applauded the extremely positive attitude of the young people on this working party.

 

268/02 Social Housing

James Macdonald reported that the retaining wall bordering the side of the site had already had to be demolished, due to cracking after the wet weather.  Lewis Duke had kindly allowed the Cambridge Housing Association more land, which is being sloped away from the houses, and will be planted with low growing shrubs.  The end result is an improvement and the best outcome in the circumstances.  The Clerk to write and thank Lewis for his generosity and help.  Also to write to Mr Hussell, Planning, requesting a reply to the Parish Council’s letter of complaint on the way in which the design and interpretation has been carried out.

 

Jane Hurst drew attention to the proposals by the Conservative Party that Social Housing might be sold to tenants in the future.  This would negate the policy of providing low cost housing for local people.  The Clerk to write to Andrew Lansley MP.

 

269/02 Play Area

The bark has been delivered and spread.  Thanks to the working party to be put in Icene.  Proposed safety grass surfacing.  The Clerk has obtained grant forms from SCDC, but the last of the three quotes needed has still not arrived.  She will complete the forms as soon as possible.

A proposed maintenance contract from Playquest had been received, but it was rejected as being too expensive.  The annual ROSPA report was considered sufficient.

 

270/02 Freedom of Information Act 2000

It was proposed by Peter Wombwell, seconded by Jane Hurst and all agreed to adopt the core classes scheme, which are appropriate to the Parish Council.  The Clerk to complete the declaration form.

 

271/02 Wellcome Trust liaison meeting

Tim Pavelin and Jackie Casement had attended in November.  The archaeology displayed on the open day was most interesting.  Wood from the tree felling will be made available to residents.  Greater activity on the site will start in mid January.  Next liaison meeting 30 January 03

 

272/02 Duxford School

Having received figures for the proposed work, it was proposed by Jane Hurst, seconded by Peter Wombwell and all agreed to donate £250.00.

 

273/02 Any other business

Peter Wombwell commented on potholes in Grange Road and beyond.  One has already been repaired; the Clerk to investigate and write accordingly.

 

Sheila Birch reported that a new date of 23 February had been fixed for the Conservation Volunteers to help clear Coploe Pit.  Expenditure has already been agreed.  The Clerk to make sure Charlie Frankau has cleared the debris and burned it on the adjacent field before then.

 

274/02 Date and time of next meeting

Wednesday 15 January 2003 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall.