ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 15 January 2003

In the Village Hall at 7.30 pm

 

Present: James Macdonald (Chairman), Peter Wombwell (Vice-Chairman), Sheila Birch, Robin Driver, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Tessa Wright-Watson, Jackie Casement (Clerk) and three members of the public.

 

101/03 Apologies.

Apologies for absence were received from Jenny Lawson.

Absent.  Tony Mertz.

 

102/03 Minutes of the previous meeting.

These were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

103/03 Matters Arising

241/02 Rabbit Cull.  Peter Wombwell said it would be carried out as soon as the mixamatosis had run its course.

242/02 Derelict caravan in Back Lane.  The Clerk to remind Environmental Health of the problem.

Replanting of hedgerow beside footpath 9 has been carried out.

257/02 Request for ‘Residents Parking’ notice for Grange Road lay-by – no reply as yet.

264/02 Planning.  Chalk and earth deposited in a field in Brookhampton Street – no news yet from the County Planning Office or from the Environment Agency.

266/02 Bridge over river on Byway 7, is not listed.

269/02 Play Area.  The Clerk reported that the last quotation for safety grass received was very much more favourable than the others.  She will proceed with the grant application on this basis and approval to accept this quote should be considered at the next meeting.

 

104/03 Post Office.  It was agreed at this point to insert an agenda item.  A letter had been received by Dilip Odedra containing many misleading and erroneous details about the future of the post office.  Robin Driver and James Macdonald are pursuing this issue. Tim Pavelin declared a non-pecuniary interest, as an employee of the Post Office.

 

105/03 Youth Representation

There was no one present.

 

106/03 Report from Skatepark Working Party

Carly Holberry and Tim Pavelin reported that grant forms are being completed for SCDC and for Awards for All.  Fund raising is under way and Jan Livingstone has the proceeds from the Christmas Disco for the Clerk to pay into the bank.  It was agreed that if this project was not to go ahead that any money given for it should be returned to the donors and any funds raised should be used for some other project for the young people in the village.  The Clerk to help Carly with some details on the application forms and provide proof of the results of the questionnaire.

 

The plan is for a tarmac strip 2.5m wide and 30m long, on the far side of the recreation field, parallel to the hedge and just beyond the basket ball square.  It will have a quarter pipe at one end and a small ramp at the other, with a box for a grind rail in the middle.  It will be able to be used for skate boarders, roller bladers and BMX bikes.  The cost is roughly £13,000.00.   Peter Wombwell expressed concern at the cost of this strip.  It was suggested another quote be obtained for a cheaper strip of tarmac, with the obstacles provided by a professional firm (necessary for insurance cover).

 

James Macdonald asked Parish Council if they would support this project in principle.  This was proposed by Robin Driver, seconded by Tessa Wright-Watson; six councillors agreed and one was opposed.

107/03 Correspondence

The following correspondence had been received –

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, The Sawston Newsheet

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, re new Community Beat Manager

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, Sawston Sector Police Local Consultation Group, minutes and agenda

CCC Highways re potholes and sign in Grange Road

CCC Cambridge Core Traffic Scheme re proposed changes

CCC revisions to Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Waste Local Plan

CCC Highways, Jointly Funded Minor Highway Improvement Schemes, re our unsuccessful bid for traffic calming measures.

CCC re Budgets for 2003/04 and Cambridgeshire Services leaflets

Duxford School, letter of thanks for donation from Sue Dorrington

Herald Contract Services re quotes for grass cutting

Cornhill Insurance re requirements for proposed skate park

CALC re various workshops

Andrew Lansley MP re autumn power cuts

CPRE suggesting membership and offering workshop on planning applications

Cambridgeshire ACRE, Harvest Bulletin and newsletter on Parish Plans

South Cambridgeshire Primary Care Trust, bulletin.

 

It was noted that the Sawston Newsheet mentioned four incidents in early December; three thefts from cars and one of damage.  The Clerk to enquire as to the accuracy of this data.

 

108/03 Planning

S/2376/02/F Extensions at Rectory Farmhouse.  No objections were raised.  Peter Wombwell declared a non-pecuniary interest and made no comment.

It was noted that neither Peter nor his parents had received any notification of this proposal as neighbours.  The Clerk to make enquiries.

 

109/03 Finance

The following cheques were signed –

W Hart & Son, for January Icene                                        £50.10

J Casement, 3 months salary and expenses                            £416.26

 

Tim Pavelin handed to the Clerk match fees from the Ickleton Football Club of £30.60 and from Spartak (visitors) of £7.50.

 

As requested, the Clerk had obtained a quote for having the cherry tree on the village green trimmed professionally, for £125.00.  This was proposed by Sheila Birch, seconded by Tessa Wright-Watson but no one was in favour.

 

Precept.  James Macdonald circulated figures showing income and expenditure over the last four years and capital expenditure projects.  The finance working party had met previously and considered the figures.  James Macdonald proposed that the precept be kept at £9,700.00 for the year 2003/04 but warned that it would almost certainly have to increase the following year.  This was seconded by Robin Driver and all agreed.  The Clerk to write accordingly.

 

Risk Assessment.  The three areas of concern identified are

·         Ron Coulson’s position re insurance cover when using the Parish Council’s mower?

·         Does the Parish Council have any obligation if, say, a dangerous wall fell and hurt someone?

·         Does the Parish Council take on any liability by telling people to take precautions, eg. Re flooding?

The Chairman and Clerk to investigate with Cornhill and report back.

 

 

110/03 Adjournment for questions from members of the public

Hedley Igglesden asked whether the Parish Council would give him approval to shoot rabbits in the cemetery with an air rifle.  The Clerk to check with insurance and the Chairman to speak to the vicar.  Tim Pavelin declared his opposition to this idea as being an inappropriate activity in the cemetery.

 

111/03 Cemetery Corner

The Chairman and Clerk had met David Lines (Highways) recently to reconsider this problem.  He had suggested more definitive signing for the blind bend, a hatched area of white lines in the centre of the road to encourage motorists to keep in, possible curbing of the inside of the bend to protect the bank from erosion and better white lining over the single track stretch of road beyond.  The Clerk had also asked Sarah Smith and her family whether they would consider lowering the height of the hedge to improve visibility.  Councillors considered that these measures were unsatisfactory and that pressure should be put on Highways to provide stronger measures.

 

112/03 Wellcome Trust.

Sheila Birch and Jenny Lawson to attend the next meeting on 30 January.  Points to be raised are the surface of Byeway 7 after restoration and that of the extension of this lane past the sewage works, the availability to residents of logs from the tree felling and whether the Trust would be willing to help the Parish Council put pressure on Highways to make cemetery bend safer.

 

113/03 Flooding

The Clerk reported that the provision of sand and bags had worked well, but the efforts to contain the Slade on New Years Day and prevent flooding up Abbey Street had been carried out by a small number of Parish Councillors.  It was agreed to hold an open meeting in early February to discuss these problems and encourage residents whose homes are vulnerable to attend.  The Clerk to write to Highways about the culvert and grips.

 

Robin Driver and Peter Wombwell left the meeting at this point.

 

114/03 Any other business

Tim Pavelin commented on the poor state of the contractors’ entrance (now closed) to the Coploe Rise site.  The Clerk to write to Cambridge Housing Association.  There is an area between the hedge and the new fence that should have new planting; the Clerk to remind them of this.

 

Tessa Wright-Watson mentioned a pothole in Back Lane.  The Clerk to organise its repair.

 

Jane Hurst mentioned that the Stackyard and Coploe Rise site would benefit from a ‘Caution Children’ sign.  The Clerk to ask Cambridge Housing Association.  She also mentioned a car parked in Frogge Street for several days that may be abandoned.  The Clerk to monitor and inform the Police if necessary.

 

115/03 Date and time of next meeting

Wednesday 19 February at 7.30 pm in the village hall.