ICKLET0N PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 15 October 2003

at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall

 

Present: James Macdonald (Chairman), Peter Wombwell (Vice Chairman), Sheila Birch, Robin Driver, Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Terry Sadler, Mark Stone-Wigg and Jackie Casement (Clerk).

 

237/03 Apologies for absence

There were no apologies for absence.

 

238/03 Minutes of the meeting held on 10 September 03

Item 235/03 Any Other Business should read “Sheila Birch asked if Ron Coulson could trim the cherry tree at the end of Birds Close and cut back the brambles in Back Lane”.  The minutes were then approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

239/03 Adjournment for questions from members of the public

There were no members of the public present.

 

240/03 Matters arising

170/03 Fly tipping at Gypsy corner – finally removed yesterday.

217/03 Football Clubs and village hall bookings.  No further problems.

227/03 Correspondence.  Points raised with local Highways included poor quality of new pavement surfacing.  The Clerk to write again to draw attention to specific damaged areas.

229/03 Finance – new dog bin.  Ordered but not arrived yet.

235/03 Any Other Business - Jane Hurst.  The Clerk had not yet contacted Roy Ellis re repairs.  Jane Hurst commented on rabbit damage.  It was proposed by Robin Driver, seconded by Sheila Birch, that Hedley Igglesden be requested to use his air rifle in and around the cemetery, subject to every precaution being taken to shoot safely and subject to correct insurance and adjoining landowner’s consent.  Tim Pavelin was against this proposal but all other councillors in favour.

Mark Stone-Wigg reported that Charlie Frankau had carried out some minor repairs to the swings; the seat in the play-house is broken and Charlie will see to it shortly.

 

241/03 Youth Representation and Report from Skate Park Working Party

Tim Pavelin reported that the company, Clever Curves, had been out to look at the site and had subsequently sent a contract, which was scrutinised by Mark Stone-Wigg and then signed by the Clerk and returned with the necessary deposit.  The plan and site are in accordance with British Standards and ROSPA requirements.  The Parish Council is already covered by public liability insurance.  The new equipment will need to be insured and a notice put up warning users to wear protective clothing.  The Clerk to research and organise. The Chairman mentioned that it would be desirable for the fund raising to continue to help cover any extras or running costs.

 

242/03 Correspondence received

CCC – Local Transport Plan summary of Annual Progress Report

CCC Environment Division, leaflet “Environment Counts”

CCC Jointly Funded Minor Highway Improvement Scheme, re signs for cemetery bend

SCDC Housing and Community Services re grant towards village hall

SCDC Commercial Services re bins for village hall

SCDC re consultation meetings with public on how to improve services

SCDC Magazine

The Countryside Agency, re Rights of Way Act, draft map information

Cambridgeshire ACRE, Harvest bulletin, notice of AGM, leaflet Rural Housing Enabler Project

CALC re AGM 18 October

Cambridgeshire Police Authority: Sawston Sector meeting, Newsheet, Countryside Watch, Neighbourhood Watch conference

Wellcome Trust, October bulletin

Environment Agency re winter flooding, requesting information

Duxford Airfield, re speed limit on A505, Open Evening, October Airshow

Stop Stansted Expansion – membership renewal

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, new team members

South Cambridgeshire NHS, Primary Care Trust, bulletin etc

Three residents in Frogge requesting action on trees on recreation field

HDRA Consultants re Master Composter Scheme

Cambridge Independent Advice Centre – services available

RNIB re improving services for the blind

“Good Night” voluntary organisation offering a sitting service for children with disabilities

Cambridge Music Festival – poster

 

243/03 Planning

There were no plans to consider or decisions to report.

 

244/03 Reports from Councillors

Mark Stone-Wigg mentioned that a parishioner had asked about the outcome of the open meeting held at Duxford Air Museum last week.  Robin Driver stated that minutes were available on the website.

Robin Driver mentioned the possible relocation plans for Marshalls Airport and reported that the District Council had rejected the proposal that they should move to Duxford.

Tim Pavelin reported attending the Topping Out ceremony of Wellcome Trust’s Southfield Project earlier that day.  The work is ahead of schedule and the building should be up and running by April 2005.

Tim also mentioned that verge cutting outside the village had revealed much litter. The Clerk to speak to the District Council.

Jane Hurst mentioned parking on pavements in Abbey Street and Frogge Street.  The Clerk to mention in Icene and speak to PC Ian Perry.  If pavements are blocked so that prams and disabled vehicles cannot pass, the police should be notified immediately.

Peter Wombwell mentioned broken glass on the recreation field and in play area.  The Clerk to ask Ron to tidy up.

The Clerk reported that electoral registration papers, sent out recently, had not been received by many parishioners.  South Cambridgeshire are re-issuing the papers this coming weekend.

 

245/03 Finance

The following cheques were approved and signed:-

Ickleton Village Hall, for hire for meetings                                   £33.00

W Hart & Sons, for October Icene                                      £49.19

Eastern Tree Surgery, for trimming trees on village green            £193.88

J Casement, 3 months salary plus expenses                           £574.44

Earlier in October the deposit cheque £1,747.23 to Clever Curves for the skate park had been signed.

No income had been received since the last meeting.

The balances were not available at the meeting but stand (before the above cheques) at:-

Business Base Rate Tracker Account £16,709.22

Community Account £2,193.71

 

It was proposed by Sheila Birch, seconded by Terry Sadler that a further membership donation to the Stop Stansted Expansion campaign of £20.00 be sent, and all were in favour.

 

246/03 Flooding

The letter requesting residents’ permission for the Parish Council to clear Coploe Ditch is being drafted.  Lewis Duke had asked the Environment Agency to come back and look at the possibility of restricting the flow of water in the ditch further upstream, but was still awaiting their response.  It was agreed that a cubic meter of sand be kept behind the garage on the recreation field and nylon bags in the garage for use by parishioners.  A further cubic meter of sand and some bags be kept at Abbey Farm for use in controlling the flow in Coploe ditch if necessary. The Clerk to order and organise.

 

247/03 Refuse

The collection over the past two weeks seems to have gone more smoothly. The contents of litter bins on the recreation field and dog bins is now being collected on Wednesday mornings in black sacks from the village hall driveway.  The problem of obtaining a second bin for the village hall to use is still unresolved but the Clerk and Gordon Woolhouse are chasing it up.

 

248/03 Wellcome Trust Report

The September liaison meeting had been cancelled, but James Macdonald hopes to attend the October meeting.  Tim Pavelin pointed out that there would be 25,000 cages for mice in the new buildings.

 

249/03 Trees

Peter Wombwell had inspected the trees on the recreation field that nearby residents complained about and it was decided that the suckers needed trimming.  The Clerk to organise.  Sites for new trees from the County Council scheme were discussed.  It was agreed to ask for 25 trees; some to go at gypsy corner (to help prevent fly tipping), some along the boundary of the meadow in Frogge Street (with Robin Driver’s permission) and any remaining along Chesterford Road.   Peter Wombwell to get in touch with Leonie Harrison, the County Council countryside officer.

 

250/03 Coploe Pit

Sheila Birch reported that Green Belt Volunteers had come for a day with brush cutters and had achieved a great deal of clearing.  The Wildlife Trust is working on a long-term maintenance plan – details available shortly.  The Conservation Volunteers are due again in January.  The debris from the brush cutting is in both the adjoining field and in the pit.  The Clerk to organise Ron or Charlie to get them all into the field for a bonfire.  Sheila was thanked for her efforts.

 

251/03 Date and time of next meetings.

Wednesday 19 November and Wednesday 17 December, in the village hall at 7.30 pm.