ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 17 December 2003

At 7.30 pm in the Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Peter Wombwell (Vice Chairman), Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Terry Sadler, Mark Stone-Wigg and Jackie Casement (Clerk).

 

269/03            Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Sheila Birch and Robin Driver

 

270/03 To approve and sign the minutes of the previous meeting

After correcting one minor typing error the minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 03 were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

271/03            Adjournment for questions from members of the public

There was no one present.

 

272/03            Matters Arising

240/03 The cemetery chapel is a listed building.  The Chairman and Clerk have yet to inspect.

256/03 Skate Park.  This was formally opened on Saturday 13 December.  About 30 parishioners attended; the press was represented and the Wellcome Trust by Phillipa Towlson.  Youngsters were unable to demonstrate their skills due to pouring rain.

259/03 No progress as yet with arranging a walk round with Highways.

Claims following powercut.  Terry Sadler reported receiving compensation recently.

 

273/03 Youth Representation

There was no one present.

 

274/03            Correspondence received

CCC Highways, re cemetery bend and junction Frogge Street and Church Street

CCC Highways, re potholes, soakaways and grips

CCC Parish Paths Partnership, request for work in 2004 and grant

CCC Highways, re unsuccessful bid for improvements to cemetery bend

CCC Highways Review

SCDC re waste collections

SCDC re members allowances

SCDC 2003 register of electors

SCDC request for 2004/05 precept

SCDC Community Services Funding Toolkit

CALC, Internal Auditors training, etc

Duxford Parish Council, proposal to share cost of Push Tester for unsafe memorials.  (Reply no thank you).

Wellcome Trust December bulletin on Southfield Site.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, Integrated Risk Management Plan

Allianz Cornhill- additional cover for skatepark

The Countryside Agency, Rights of Way Act 2000 re response

Victim Support, Cambridge and Ely, request for donation

Cambridgeshire Local Access Forum-information

Police – Sawston Newsheet

South Cambridgeshire NHS Primary Care Trust, bulletin

BT reply re proposed new pole in Abbey Street

GO East, renewable Energy and the Planning System

DEFRA re equine issues

Eileen Godfrey re Coploe ditch clearing and reply

Sawston Village College asking for someone to speak at a PC meeting on Arts Strategy

McDonalds re litter

 

275/03 Planning

Applications to be considered

S/1898/03/F and S/2413/03/LB, 10 Mill Lane, amendment to plans for extension and demolition and rebuilding of flint wall.  Recommend approval.

 

276/03 Reports from Councillors

Peter Wombwell commented on tyres dumped beside Elmdon Road.  The Clerk to request their removal.

Mark Stone-Wigg commented that a final inspection of the skate park to check all is in accordance with the contract should take place.  The Clerk to organise.

 

277/03 Finance

The following cheques were signed

Ickleton Village Hall, hire for meetings                                   £33.00

W Hart & Son, November Icene                                        £67.92

Allianz Cornhill, increased premium for skate park                    £88.21

Clever Curves, for skate park                                                   £15,143.40

CALC, training fee for internal auditor                          £45.00

 

£500.00 is held back on Clever Curves payment until painting the equipment can be completed. 

 

Financial Position.  The Clerk reported that following the above cheques, the Community Account stands at £484.00 and the Business Rate Tracker Account at £1,509.22.  However, a grant of £7,100.00 from SCDC is due towards the skate park and a VAT return of some £3,500.00 will be submitted after Christmas.

 

The request for the Precept for 2004/05 has been received.  The Financial Working Party to arrange a meeting after Christmas to consider their recommendations.

 

278/03 Risk Assessment

James Macdonald urged councillors to consider possibilities of what could go wrong.  The Clerk to check with insurance policy on cover for legal costs in the event of a claim.  The Clerk also asked to keep a day book of all phone calls received and made and action taken.  File notes should be taken of all meetings or discussions on Parish Council business.  Councillors should attend a training course if possible.  The Clerk to obtain a document on Risk Assessment from CALC at a cost of £10.00.

 

279/03 Flooding

Lewis Duke reported that as yet there had been no response from Network Rail who have been asked to clear the section of the ditch beside and under the railway embankment.  Pressure of correspondence and phone calls is being kept up by the Clerk.

 

Coploe Ditch.  Lewis reported that the residents and owners have more or less agreed to do the work on a self-help basis, hopefully between Christmas and the New Year.  No money need change hands. The Clerk to ask Highways to clear the culverts under Grange Road, Duxford Road and Brookhampton Street.

 

Blocked surface water drain, Abbey Street.  No progress on this issue so far.  Robin Driver to take the matter up.

 

Proposed dam upstream of motorway, for use in emergency.  Lewis has spoken to an independent consultant who has carried out several similar schemes, and is awaiting confirmation in writing.  A study must be carried out to ascertain the possible effect of holding water back for a few hours.  The cost would probably be £1000/1200 for which funding would be sought from the District and County Councils and Environment Agency.  Lewis is also meeting early next year a representative from the Highways Agency to discuss any impact on the motorway of such a scheme.  Lewis was thanked for all his work and research.

 

280/03 Wellcome Trust

At the latest meeting James Macdonald and Sheila Birch discussed the re-routing of a footpath on the site (no impact on Ickleton), the increased height of the chimney, the light pollution, which should be during construction only, and invited a representative to attend the skate park opening.  Wellcome were thanked for the invitation to their splendid firework display in November. Work on the Southfield Site is well ahead of schedule.

 

281/03 Coploe Pit

In Sheila’s absence, Peter Wombwell reported that a management recommendation from the Wildlife Trust suggested a staged clearance of the pit sides and the small area of the pit bottom.  John Jossaume had visited and made very workable suggestions on the clearance.  More details available in January.  James Macdonald to mention the plans to the adjoining landowner, Ned Tozer.

 

282/03 Broadband

James Macdonald reported that parishioners need to be encouraged to register their requests for broadband to BT.  Notice on board and more information to go in next Icene.  Access could be obtained in conjunction with GreatChesterford and Hinxton.

 

283/03 Trees and Hedges

Hedging from Gypsy Corner is available as soon as the ditch and mound along the length is completed.  The Clerk had one quote for trimming the suckers from the field maples on the recreation ground.  Another quote to be obtained from Charles Frankau and checks made with the Tree Officer.  Decisions to be taken in January.

 

284/03 Date and time of next meeting

Wednesday 21 January 2004 at 7.30 in the village hall.  The meeting closed at 9.15pm