ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 17 November 2004

at 7.30pm in the village hall

 

Present: James Macdonald (Chairman), Peter Wombwell (Vice Chairman), Sheila Birch,

Robin Driver, Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Terry Sadler, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jackie Casement (Clerk), guest Andrew Lansley MP and nine members of the public

 

260/04 Apologies

There were no apologies for absence.

 

261/04 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 20 October 04

These were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

262/04 Andrew Lansley MP

Mr Lansley explained the planning and decision making processes involved at Government and Regional levels in respect of the proposed large increase in housing in the region, especially in South Cambridgeshire, and the proposal to relocate Marshall’s airfield at Duxford.  The extra 18,000 houses proposed on top of the 478,000 already agreed, has been rejected by the Regional Assembly, who are also not in favour of a second runway at Stansted.  Parish Councillors asked questions concerning the linking of these two major proposals, and how best to react to them.  Mr Lansley advised that acting with other Parish Councils in forming a good planning argument, buttressed by public opinion, was the best way forward.

The Chairman then invited members of the public to ask questions: these covered the possibility of Waterbeach being a location for either housing or Marshalls: when definite locations for development will be made public: the need to look at the development of the M11 corridor up to Peterborough as a whole issue: the planning powers of the Regional Assembly over the County Council .

 

263/04 Proposed increase in housing in South Cambridgeshire and

264/04 Duxford Airfield

James Macdonald reported attending a meeting of a group of Parish Councils at Foxton.  Robin Driver stated that there was no evidence that Foxton was the likely centre of proposed development and it would be better to look at development proposals nearer to home.  Public consultation with EERA will start on 8 December. Suggestions were made as to how best to ascertain the opinions of parishioners – possibly via Icene.  Robin Driver also stated that he was about to have a meeting with the Wellcome Trust.

 

265/04 Adjournment for questions from members of the public

Ken Worthing asked if the Parish Council would make representations to EERA.  The Clerk to find out details of public consultation events.  He also asked about the Imperial War Museum’s view on the Marshalls proposal.  Robin Driver stated that the IWM was opposed to this suggestion.

 

266/04 Matters Arising

193/04 Mobile Home, Back Lane; the debris has disappeared.

211/04 Level Crossing gates, Mill Lane.  To be mentioned at next Wellcome liaison meeting.

232/04 Land by Birds Close – to be discussed at December meeting.

252/04 Community Service help.  Sheila Birch said that volunteers were booked to help with Coploe Pit this winter. The state of the cemetery is poor and help is needed. December agenda.

257/04 Meeting with Highways and Police.  No proposals have yet been received from David Lines.  The Clerk had chased this up and the question of cemetery.  Mr Lines had suggested over the telephone that kerbing cemetery bend might be an improvement but this was considered dangerous as there would be no where for motorists to go when they met a large vehicle.  The Clerk to write again.

258/04 Wellcome Trust. Lewis Duke suggested that the definition between cycle path and main road might not be clear after dark.  He suggested asking Highways if a white line with rumble strip could be put along the verge, to protect the cycle path.  The Clerk to ask Hinxton Parish Council first, then write to Highways.

 

267/04 Youth Representation

There was no one present.

 

268/04 Correspondence received

CCC Highways – details of winter gritting and snow clearing

CCC Bridge Engineer – reply re bridge in Brookhampton Street

CCC, South Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership consultation event

CCC Highways re protection of entrance to footpath, Back Lane

CCC “Organising Events on the Road” leaflet

CCC Corporate Plan 2005-09

CCC Parish Paths Partnership re bids for 2005/06

SCDC re Capital Funding Training Day

SCDC Tree Officer re consent for works, Gurner House, Church Street

SCDC Healthy Walks Scheme, Milton Park

SCDC to James Macdonald re 2005/06 Council Tax Consultation

SCDC re future Parish Council elections

Office of Deputy Prime Minister re New Ethical Framework Regulations

Environment Agency Flood Awareness Campaign

CALC, brochure in becoming a Quality Council, details of training sessions

CALC re possible use of parish council funds for professional advice

Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee, agenda and report

Uttlesford Citizens Advice Bureau, Annual Public meeting

Wellcome Trust re invitation to fireworks

Cambridgeshire ACRE Annual Review 2003/04 and Harvest Bulletin

Stop Stansted Expansion information

Robin Ellis re tree in Back Lane

PT Pinner re supply of bare root trees and hedging

Department of Transport re traffic information and roadworks

Clever Curves replying to request for information on invoice for repairs  (It was agreed wait until bolt nuts have been supplied, then pay the invoice).

Andrew Shepperd, draft letter re suggested alteration to bus routes.

David Lilley, commenting on Andrew’s suggestions.  (The Clerk to combine points from both letters and write to County Council).

Andrew Lansley MP re local development plans

 

269/04 Planning

Applications requiring comment by Parish Council

S/2088/04/F Extensions, 11 Mill Lane.  Recommend approval.

 

Decision received from South Cambridgeshire District Council

35 Church Street, removal of agricultural occupancy condition – permission granted.

 

270/04 Reports from Councillors

James Macdonald reported no applications Parish Clerk vacancy as yet.  Continue to advertise in Icene.

Peter Wombwell reported that signs are being put up in Grange Road and at Gypsy Corner stating conservation verges.

Jane Hurst commented on rabbit infestation in cemetery.

Terry Sadler commented on the reversed bend sign on Duxford Road and the need for new posts.  The Clerk to write to Highways. The street lamp on the footpath between Abbey Street and Back lane is shrouded by overgrown trees.  The Clerk to speak to Highways.

Sheila Birch commented on rubbish at Gypsy corner which needs clearing and asked about progress on the chalk spoil beside Brookhampton Street.  The Clerk to pursue.

 

271/04 Report from County Councillor

Robin Driver had a gloomy forecast about the lack of funds for special needs children.  Also Government funding of the County Council, with various restrictions, will mean that an increase in tax will be necessary.

 

272/04 Finance

The following cheques were signed

Herald Contract Services for grass cutting                                  £88.13

Aimprint for November Icene                                                    £52.70

Treetops for trimming chestnut tree                                            £158.62

Royal British Legion for wreath and a donation                           £40.00

This donation was proposed by Lewis Duke, seconded by Sheila Birch, and all agreed.

James Macdonald said he would call a finance working party meeting in December to discuss the precept and risk assessment.  (Next agenda)

It was proposed by Peter Wombwell, seconded by Jane Hurst to purchase a wooden litter bin for £182.71 +VAT and £15 carriage charge and all agreed.  The Clerk to ask Charlie Frankau for a quote to install this beside Mrs Woodley’s seat.

 

273/04 Flooding

Lewis had already spoken to Andrew Lansley asking for his support to the Parish Council’s efforts to get an installation west of the motorway to temporarily restrict the flow of water in times of heavy rainfall..  Funding is needed for a feasibility study for such an installation. Mr Lansley promised to include the Parish Council in area flooding discussions, where other villages had similar experiences.

 

274/04 Recreation Field and play area

The reply from Clever Curves stated the type of paint needed.  Mark to measure and give guidance to the Clerk on how much to buy.  Tim Pavelin kindly offered to do the work, possibly with help from some youngsters.  It was agreed that as the year’s warranty is now up, future repairs could be carried out by the Parish Council.

 

275/04 Parish Paths Partnership – bids for 2005 grants

To be considered at January meeting.  Tim Pavelin suggested that the unofficial path from the Recreation field to footpath 9 might be adopted as a public footpath.

 

276/04 Wellcome Trust

Next liaison meeting to be requested in early December when James and Sheila are free to attend.  To discuss padlock on level crossing gates and replanting of hedge beside grassy lane when the works are finished (money for this has already been given by the County Council to the Parish Council).

 

277/04 Date and time of next meeting

Wednesday 15 December at 7.30 pm in the village hall.  The Clerk gave her apologies in advance.