ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 14 December 2005 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Robin Driver, Sheila Birch, Jane Hurst, Peter Wombwell, Terry Sadler, Tim Pavelin, Lewis Duke, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk).  John Williams (District Councillor).  Robert Smith, Richard Summers (RAGT) and 5 members of the public

 

310/05                Apologies for absence:  Mark Stone-Wigg and Timothy Stone (County Councillor) (previous engagements)

 

311/05   To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 16 November 2005:  304/05 Last sentence amended to read ‘Duncan Parsley has been invited to walk around Ickleton at some convenient time’.  Manual amendment was made to the minutes, which were then approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

312/05                Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

313/05   Matters Arising:

                260/05 East of England public examination – There were no specific updates to report

277/05 Village parking – The Chairman had spoken to Mr C Wrigley.  Item to be carried forward                                                                                                  Action: Chairman/Clerk

296/05 Gt Chesterford bridge – Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) was unable to help as it was out of his area.  The Chairman had spoken to Howard Rolfe in Great Chesterford, who would be raising the item at their Parish Council meeting tonight.                  Action:  Chairman

296/05 Church St/Frogge St signs – A Church Street/Frogge Street sign had been installed.  A further Church Street sign is due to be put up on the house opposite the village shop.  The Clerk was asked to check if there was an Abbey Street sign still in place near Caldrees Manor.

                                                                                                                                                Action: Clerk

296/05 Litter pick – SCDC arrange for litter picks around the village to be carried out every 6 months.  Road sweeping is done every 2 months.

296/05 Picture – Village Hall – The picture will be hung in due course.   Action: Clerk

304/05 Picnic Tables (V Mila) – A quotation was presented to the meeting.  This will be circulated and discussed further in January.                                                 Action: Clerk

304/05 Pestwise – The Clerk to chase for this address.                         Action: Clerk

 

314/05   Youth Representation:  None

 

315/05                Correspondence received:

            SCDC                     -                Council Tax Capping – Footway Lighting

                SCDC                     -                Ickleton Housing Needs Survey

                SCDC                     -                Local Government Finance Act 1992 – Parish Precepts

                SCDC                     -                S Cambs Magazine/Tenants’ newsletter

                CCC                        -                National Drink Drive Campaign (Noticeboard)

                CCC                        -                Grass Cutting Contracts

                CCC                        -                Village maintenance 2005

                CCC                        -                Parish Paths Partnership (P3) 2006/2007

                CCC                        -                Parish Paths Partnership 2006/2007 – P3 Bulletin

                CCC                        -                Changes to Local Bus Services (Copy: D Lilley)

                CCC                        -                Winter Gritting and Snow Clearing (Noticeboard)

                IWM                      -                Duxford Site Notice

                Network Rail         -                Mill Lane Level Crossing

                Wellcome              -                Mill Lane Level Crossing

                CPS                         -                Householders and the use of force against intruders – leaflet

                Dept Transport                -                East of England Traffic & Roadworks leaflet (Village shop/hall)

                Cambs Police     -                E-cops update

                RoSPA                   -                Annual inspection leaflet

                BENSCH                -                Grant Fund details for Newsletter

                CiLCA                    -                New Training schedule

                EEAP                      -                E-mail re. M11 extension rejected

                Stop Stansted                -                Newsletter

                BAA Stansted                -                Plane Talk leaflet

                Essex CC           -                Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (2 letters)

                CRNE                     -                Newsletter

                CPRE                      -                Fieldwork

                Camb Acre       -                Magazine

                Letters sent:

                Cambs. Constabulary                Acknowledgement received 8/12/05

                Mr Andrew Lansley MP

                Mr V Mila

 

               

316/05                Planning applications:

S/2171/05/F –Extension - Mr & Mrs Fletcher, Ickleton Place, Brookhampton Street – Approved                                                                                                              Action: Clerk

 

S/2236/05/F – Erection of Cereal Breeding Bldg, Greenhouses & Polytunnels – Rectory Farm, Grange Road - Messrs. P Wombwell, L Duke, R Smith & RAGT Seeds Ltd.  Councillors Wombwell and Duke signed the Declaration of Interest book and left the room.  The other councillors declared a non-prejudicial interest.

Richard Summers (RAGT Seeds Ltd) spoke about the work that the company did and why it needed to move to another site.  Other sites had been looked at but this was found to be the most suitable.  A lengthy discussion took place with questions being asked by the Councillors and members of the public.  The plans were refused by the Parish Council by 4 votes to 2, with the following comments to be added:

·       This was a big additional development in visual terms in that particular ‘valley’ especially the barn (which is exceptionally large)/greenhouse and polytunnels.

·       Grange Road is a single-track road – this causes concern.  An extra passing bay should be added near the Lilac hedge on the road coming from Ickleton Grange.

·       Traffic movements at the fork junction of Grange Road/Elmdon Road.  Suggestion to amend the priority from Elmdon Road to Grange Road.

·       Traffic movements coming from Duxford, who would wish to turn right at the crossroads into Grange Road could be a danger.

·       Trees that are planted should be managed correctly to enhance their growth and to shield the view.

·       The Green Travel Plan should be re-worked.

·       When the Imperial War Museum film bunkers were built, it was then stated that they presented a fire threat to any nearby buildings.  This does not appear to have been taken into account.

 

The Chairman regretted that the neighbours of Rectory Farm had not been notified of this planning application, particularly by SCDC.  The District Councillor was asked to report this back to the Council and the Clerk was asked to write a letter.                      Action: Clerk/JW

 

Councillors Wombwell and Duke rejoined the meeting.  Six members of the public left the meeting.

 

S/2311/05/F – Extension, Garage and Studio – Bluebell Cottage, 27 Frogge Street – Mr & Mrs Wentzell – Approved                                                                                              Action: Clerk

 

S/2299/05/F – Extension – 20 Brookhampton Street – P Hoskins – Approved

Action: Clerk

 

Planning information received:

S/1749/05/LB – Alterations- Mowbrays Farmhouse, Church Street - Listed Building Consent

 

S/1267/ 05/LDC - Ickleton Garden Centre - Certificate Of Lawful Existing use or development

 

 

 

Appeal Outcome

APP/W0530/A/05/1187162 – Land adj. Gurner House - Mr & Mrs Maynard, Church Street – Appeal Dismissed

 

317/05   Reports from Councillors

Peter Wombwell reported that the white lines had still not been completed around Cemetery corner.  The Clerk to speak to Mike Cooper (Highways).                         Action:  Clerk

Jane Hurst proposed that we sent Christmas cards from the Parish Council to those who had helped us over the year.                                                                                 Action: Clerk        The school bus pick-up point in Abbey Street was now a problem with an incident occurring recently.  Councillors Driver and Wombwell would visit the site and see the situation for themselves and report back to the next meeting.                                 Action: RD/PW

Terry Sadler reported that train timetables had changed this week, which downgraded the service into London.  He would draft a letter, which the Clerk would send to the rail company. The M11 consultation group are due to have a meeting with Andrew Lansley and Highways Agency on 3 February.                                                                                               Action: TS/Clerk

Sheila Birch said there appeared to be an amount of street ‘furniture’ that was redundant.  She would draft a letter to Matthew Lugg of CCC for the Clerk to send.                Action: SB/JAF

James Macdonald had been approached by Owen Maguire regarding the possibility of a Youth Club being set up in the village.

 

318/05   Reports from District and County Councillor

District:  SCDC intend for footway lighting to be paid for by the Parish Council as from April 2006; this will needed to be added to our precept.  A Village Housing Needs survey will be sent to every household shortly.  The Parish Council still felt the volume of paperwork received is unacceptable and wished this to be reported back to SCDC.

County:   See Annex 1 (attached to these minutes) for Councillor’s report.

 

319/05   Finance (Bank Balances) including receipts and payments to: 

Payments: 

Herald Contract Services                -                 £88.13

Aimprint                                -                £49.07

R Coulson                 -                £2030.00

                Stop Stansted                                -                £25.00

Receipts:   Football Clubs                -                £10.00

 

Community Account                -                £598.77

Business Base Tracker                -                £13,754.01

 

The precept would be agreed at the January meeting.  The Finance sub-committee would meet beforehand.  The Clerk was asked to send copy of accounts as at 31/12/05 to the Chairman for consideration at the sub-committee meeting.                                                 Action: Chairman/Clerk

 

320/05                Affordable housing – strategy for planning for the future – Nothing to report

 

321/05                Footpaths – Nothing to report

 

322/05   Coploe Pit – This had been cleared on 23 November (an invoice has yet to be received).  The Clerk to contact C Frankau regarding lighting the bonfire, which needed to be done before March.  Sheila Birch would complete the application forms in respect of Coploe Pit; also the roadside verge form had been given to the Clerk to post.                  Action:  SB/Clerk

 

323/05                Recreation Field and Play Area

Tennis Courts – James Macdonald produced another draft.  Amendments/additions were suggested.  This will presented to the next meeting.                                 Action: Chairman

Sycamore Tree – Sheila Birch and Jocelyn Flitton met John Hellingsworth and Andrew Shepherd on Monday 12 December.  The dead tree was inspected and it was agreed it could be removed.  The Sycamore is in fact a Norwegian Maple and it was noted that there are several trunks and it is likely to split in future as it grows.  As the Recreation Ground is not in a conservation area we do not need permission to remove the trees.  The Parish Council agreed that Mr Shepherd could cut the tree down and keep the logs.  The Clerk to liaise with Mr Shepherd as it should be possible to combine cutting down of the two trees at the same time.  Another tree will be planted in due course.                                   Action: Clerk/SB

Football Pitch – rolling.  C Frankau had agreed to do this.

 

324/05   Flooding

Lewis Duke reported that a lot of weed cutting had been done, but he still had concerns about the water getting away and will make further checks.                                   Action:  LD

 

One member of the public left the meeting.

 

325/05                Wellcome Trust

James Macdonald and Sheila Birch had a good meeting on Monday with Duncan Parsley and Peter Millie.  They had agreed (at their expense) to trim the hedge in Grassy Lane sometime in January/February.  Pest control measures are still taking place.  They are in contact with Network Rail regarding turning the Mill Lane level crossing into a pedestrian only crossing.                                                                                                                               Action: Clerk

 

326/05                Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

327/05   Date and time of next meeting:  18 January 2006

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 10.10 pm.

 

 

 

Chairman:                                                                                                                             

 

 

 

Date:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Annex 1

 

County Councillor's Report

 

In the last month the County Council has received notification of the amount of government support it will receive in the next two financial years.  The figure for 2006/7 is slightly better than anticipated but will still entail cuts in some services.  The figure for 2007/8 is dire.

 

Government has changed the basis of local authority funding and has added a "Relative Resource" component.  This is essentially a calculation of the potential a local authority has to raise Council Tax.  For Cambridgeshire this results in £41.4million being removed from our settlement as we are regarded as a "rich" county.  For the most part we are.

 

At the same time we are told that if we raise Council Tax by more than 5% (an average across the country) we shall be capped.  We are therefore unable to gain any advantage from our potential.

 

I raised this with the Minister, David Miliband, at the annual Local Government Association meeting in London on Monday.  His response was that we should "reconfigure" our services to make savings.  Not terribly helpful and doesn't answer the question.  My line of questioning was supported by the Conservative group as well as by the Liberal Democrats.

 

The County Council has received approval of the guided bus proposal, which is to link St Ives with Trumpington park-and-ride.  This is only the first hurdle, as the plan has to be properly elaborated and funded before it will go ahead. Personally I was against the proposal but now that it has been approved I shall work to ensure that it delivers benefits to local residents as far as is possible.

 

Preliminary plans for complete redevelopment of a 23 acre site around the station have been shown to County Council members and various road shows have been held.  The scheme has tremendous potential but as yet the plans only give ideas of how traffic flows will be managed and what the various blocks of buildings will be used for (residential, commercial, hotel etc).  No architecture is yet proposed but Richard Rogers partners will get the job, so something prestigious should be produced.

 

You may have seen a consultation by BAA with regard to the second runway at Stansted.  I am against it fullstop.

 

Please let me know if there is any action you would like me to take on your behalf.

 

Meanwhile I wish you all a Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

 

 

Tim Stone                                            13th December 2005