ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 16 August 2006 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Robin Driver, Lewis Duke, Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Peter Wombwell, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and 2 members of the public.

 

127/06            Apologies for absence:  Mark Stone-Wigg, Timothy Stone (County Councillor), John Williams (District Councillor) – previous engagements.

 

128/06 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 July 2006.  The Chairman manually amended the minute numbers 125/05 and 126/05 to read 125/06 and 126/06.  The minutes were then approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

129/06            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None.

 

The Chairman brought Item 139/06 forward on the Agenda.

 

139/06             Police

A meeting has been set up with Inspector Paul Ormerod (South Cambridgeshire Sector Commander) for Monday 18 September 2006 and will be reported back at the Parish Council meeting in September.  Stanley Peck (Neighbourhood Watch representative) reported his views on the current situation.     Action:  JM/LD

 

A member of the public left the meeting.

 

130/06            Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – No contact had yet been made with David Lines.  Robin Driver reported dangerous parking around the churchyard bend during some Church services and in Church Street/Brookhampton Street.  The Clerk was asked to write to the Churchwardens asking if they would put bollards out around the bend. A note will be put in Icene regarding Church Street/Brookhampton Street parking.                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

296/05  Gt Chesterford bridge & grass verge -  A small part of the verge had been cut but it still presented a hazard.  The Chairman will write to the Chairman of Essex County Council with a copy to the Chairman of Gt. Chesterford Parish Council.                                                                          Action:  JM

028/06  Chapel roof/Village seats - C Frankau has yet to complete these jobs.  Peter Wombwell said the flint wall of the chapel was now being affected.  Robin Driver will ask a builder to look at the Chapel and give a professional opinion on the state of the building.                                                Action: RD/Clerk

052/06  Skate park – C Frankau had screwed down the lifted/warped boards and will shortly be re-painting it.                                                                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – The Clerk reported the costs quoted by Adams Harrison who said the key date to note is 13 October 2006 as the rules change.  Peter Wombwell is to speak to Michael Hamilton and report back to the Clerk.  The Chairman will make the decision as to how we proceed.            Action:  Clerk/JM

068/06            ‘Brightening up’ village – The Clerk will try to make contact with David Lines (Highways).

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

Repair mesh on Cemetery fence - still outstanding with C Frankau                     Action:  Clerk

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board – quotation waited from C Frankau                                    Action:  Clerk

073/06  Frogge Street – Flooding – Mike Cooper (Highways) has this in hand.                   Action:  Clerk

087/06 Tipped soil adj Tylers Yard – The Chairman had spoken to Michael Rule who said he was doing his best to ensure the work in completed by the October deadline.                                   Action:  JM

89/06    Frogge Street pavement – Mike Cooper (Highways) has this in hand.                   Action:  Clerk

96/06   BAA flight heights – The Clerk reported that Mick Martin has said the controlled air space over Ickleton comes down to 2,500 ft.  99% of aircraft should not be below this height.  The exception is if they are under direct approach to Stansted, then they may go as low as 1,500 ft – but this is very unusual.  The Clerk was asked to make further enquiries about the flight patterns as the previous figure we had was 4,500 ft for flight heights.                                                                                                     Action:  Clerk

101/06 ’No dogs’ sign – The Clerk still had to obtain this.  Robin Driver suggested SCDC might supply these.                                                                                                                             Action:  Clerk

108/06 Ickleton Information Guide – These had now been printed and were going to be distributed with the September Icene.

118/06: M11  Motorway Service Station/Huntsman, Duxford site – Terry Sadler had submitted the comments on behalf of the Parish Council.

HGVs – Timothy Stone had notified the Clerk that the system is indeed map-based and shows drivers where there are weight restrictions on roads and also where there are industrial estates, lay-by refreshments.  The idea is by consultation with freight associations to encourage drivers to use roads, which cause less hassle and use less fuel.  At some stage it is expected that unsuitable roads will be removed from the map altogether.  There is also a long-term aim of road pricing to lead drivers to use suitable roads.    We are still in the early days and Cambridgeshire is in the forefront of this kind of development.  There is much yet to be done and there is no immediate relief for Ickleton.  The Clerk to ask Highways for a lorry count.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

Graffiti-Bus shelter – still outstanding with C Frankau.                                                Action:  Clerk

Newspaper banks – these had now been emptied.  One bank had been repaired but one was still broken.                                                                                                                         Action:  Clerk

131/06 Youth Representation:  None

 

132/06            Correspondence received:

SCDC              -            Neighbourhood Panel for Sawston

SCDC              -            Advice to District & Parish members in relation to Code of Conduct

SCDC              -            Travellers Liaison for South Cambridgeshire

SCDC              -            Changes to the Development Control System

CCC                 -            Proposed Revisions to Regional Spatial Strategy for East of England

CCC                 -            Inside Trade Newsletter

Duxford            -            Imperial War Museum – Invitation to discover AirSpace

NHS                 -            The Future of Health Service poster

Encams                        -            Local environmental quality – a town & parish guide

CALC              -            The Bulletin & literature

SLCC               -            Various literature

IOG                  -            IOG Salktex 2006 exhibition

C Curves            -            Clever Curves literature

SSE                  -            Stop Stansted Expansion newsletter

Wicksteed            -            Playground literature

Camb Acre            -            Planning Ahead leaflet

BAA                -            Stansted Plane Talk

EyeBee                        -            Information Bulletin

Sport England            -            Survey

Correspondence sent:

Mrs Monica Lilley                                                    Mr Steve Jenkins (Ickleton Football Club)

Mr G Phillips (Crocus Football Club)                            The Post Office

Mike Parker (Duxford PC)                                        C Frankau (2)

 

133/06            Planning applications considered:

S/1077/06/F – Flood Risk Assessment – Mr S & Mrs T London, 111 Frogge Street – Ickleton Riverside Barns -  No further recommendation.

Planning application granted:

S/0988/06/F – Extension – 6 Birds Close, Ickleton – Mr & Mrs B Morrissey

Planning application amendment approved:

S/2311/05/F (Drawing No. 05/25/04 – Revision 22/6/06) -  Extension, Garage & Studio – Bluebell Cottage, 27 Frogge Street – Mr & Mrs Wentzell.

Procedure for dealing with planning applications:  The Chairman explained how the Planning Committee was currently working since it had been set up.  The Planning Committee, who will inform other members of the Council of their proposed recommendations, will consider all applications.                                                                                                                          Action: Clerk/JM/SB/RD

134/06            Reports from Councillors: 

Robin Driver wished to reiterate the parking problems raised earlier.  A lime tree in the churchyard is dying.  The Clerk was asked to speak to Ron Coulson.                                     Action: Clerk

Peter Wombwell said we should keep an eye on the Chestnut trees, as there is a disease that is killing them off.  Uttlesford District Council are considering switching unnecessary streetlights off between midnight and 5.00 am.  The Clerk was asked to contact SCDC to see if they were thinking of doing the same and to notify the District Councillor of our enquiry.                                                       Action:  Clerk

Jane Hurst reported that there were again many rabbits in the Cemetery.  Clerk to make enquiries about culling them.                                                                                                      Action:  Clerk

Tim Pavelin said Wellcome Trust has put up a lot of signs in the Wetlands, which he felt were unnecessary.  This would be raised at the next meeting with Wellcome on 18 September.      

                                                                                                                                    Action: JM/SB

Tim had completed the survey (via e-mail) from Sport England.

Sheila Birch reported that the litterbin behind the village hall was broken.  The nameplate for Mill Lane needed fixing.  Some wooden posts outside Caldrees Manor in Abbey Street had been damaged.  A resident had asked if the weed in the river could be removed.  The Clerk will contact the Environment Agency.  Newton village now had flashing speed signs.  The Clerk was asked to contact David Lines again requesting them for the village.                                                                                      Action: Clerk (5)

James Macdonald reported that the extra black bags had not been collected one week.  This was due to a different team collecting in Ickleton.  The Clerk will ask the District Councillor about the possibility of weekly collection of the black bins.  The Clerk was also asked to check with SCDC what arrangements there are for collecting black rubbish sacks.                                                   Action: Clerk (2)

 

135/06            Reports from District and County Councillors

County Councillor – see Annex 1

District Councillor – John Williams said on the subject of the Motorway Services area objection site, he could report that a very good response was forthcoming – mainly from Duxford – judging from some 26 or so requests for copies of forms so that people could send representations by post.  In addition he is aware that there were significant numbers of submissions on-line.

 

136/06            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Ryecroft Data            -            £59.00                          Receipts:  HM Revenue & Customs - £554.07

Moore Stephens -           £164.50

Harts                -            £53.15

Community Account - £324.14                       

Business Base Rate Tracker Account - £15,977.42

 

Audit – The Annual Return for the year ended 31 March 2006 has now been audited and closed by Moore Stephens.

 

137/06            Recreation Field and Play Area

RoSPA report & repairs & Vandalism – Mark Stone-Wigg reported that he had met with C Frankau and gone through the work/repairs requested in the RoSPA report.  Mark will obtain the costs for replacement seats to the spring bird and spring horse and also for the whole items, which had been vandalised.  An insurance claim form has been obtained.                                                                                   Action: M S-W

Mark requested another sign ‘ Children under 7 years must be supervised by an adult’ be purchased.

                                                                                                                                    Action: Clerk

Picnic Tables – Villiami Mila has now installed the two picnic tables, which have already been put to good use during the summer.

Football pitch – C Frankau has cut off the long bits on the grass and will be cutting it again shortly.  He will put fertiliser on as and when.                                                                

Tennis Courts – The Clerk was asked to write to the people who had volunteered to be on the committee asking if they were willing to come to a meeting that would be chaired by James Macdonald.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk  

Youth Club – No further information had been received.   Item to be removed from the Agenda.

 

138/06            Allotments:

The Chairman had entered into discussions with one of the landowners who will come back to him at a later date.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  JM

140/06  Cemetery

Grave surrounds – The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Holdgate asking him to provide a sketch outlining the heights.  After discussion, it was agreed that some flexible guidelines should be compiled.  Markers for purchased graves should be obtained from David Skeates.                                    Action: JH/Clerk (2)

Additional burial ground.  The Chairman has entered into discussions with one of the landowners with whom it was proposed to write a letter of intent.                                                               Action: JM

 

141/06            Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  A question was asked by a member of the public.  

 

142/06 Date and time of next meeting:  Wednesday 20 September 2006 @ 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.30 pm.

 

 

 

 

Chairman

 

Date                                                                


 

Appendix 1

 

County Councillor's Report                                                             11th August 2006

 

Objection Sites

 

The District Council appears to have been overwhelmed with comments on the Objection Sites, so many representations were not recorded before the website was truncated.  The County objected in principle to all the objection sites, though I was not entirely happy with the blanket nature of the responses and got them to sharpen up the reply to the M11 service area proposal.  The County initially missed off councillors whose surnames began with the letters S-Z when circulating the draft responses, so there was an unseemly rush at the end while they and I sought to catch up.  Could do better.

 

Dots and crosses

 

You may have noticed green dots and crosses appearing on or near road drainage gratings.  The dots mean that the grating can be removed and the gully is working.  The cross means that the contractor has been unable to remove the grating. Presence of a dot does not necessarily indicate that there is no blockage in the pipes below the street nor does the presence of a cross mean that the gully and pipes are not functioning, as they should.  If there is neither dot nor cross it could be that the gully has not been identified yet but please don't start ringing Highways just yet because there could be other reasons for lack of a mark.

 

 

Tim Stone