ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 20 September 2006 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Tim Pavelin, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jane Hurst, Lewis Duke, Terry Sadler, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk), John Williams (District Councillor) and 2 members of the public. 

 

143/06 Apologies for absence: Timothy Stone (County Councillor), Robin Driver, Peter Wombwell (previous engagements)

 

144/06 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 16 August 2006:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

145/06 Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  A resident proposed that a letter should be sent, to Chris and Mirella Collinson wishing them well when they take over the tenancy of the Ickleton Lion, as from next Monday.  This was agreed and also a letter should be sent to Doug Bullen thanking him for his past services to the village.                                                                Action:              Clerk

 

146/06 Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – David Lines was still on sick leave.  The Chairman had spoken to Richard Preston who assured him that the matters we had raised with Mr Lines would be dealt with shortly.  An article had been put in the Icene regarding the parking in Church Street/Brookhampton Street.  A positive response had been received back from the Churchwardens.                                     Action:  Clerk

296/05  Gt Chesterford bridge & grass verge – The Chairman had sent an e-mail to Essex County Council (copy to Gt Chesterford Parish Council) an acknowledgement has been received saying they will get back to us.                                                                                                                                Action:  JM

028/06  Chapel roof/Village seats – Robin Driver had shown a builder around the chapel and the Parish Council wait to receive his report.  C Frankau has yet to complete the village seats project.

                                                                                                                        Action:  RD/Clerk

052/06  Skate park – C Frankau has now completed this work.

053/06  Land Registry – The Clerk has now contacted Adams Harrison (authorised by the Chairman) with a view to their registering all the land.                                                                            Action:  Clerk

068/06  ‘Brightening up’ village – this item is on the outstanding list sent to David Lines.

            Repair mesh on Cemetery fence -  Mark Stone-Wigg asked the Clerk to check again with C Frankau as he felt the fence had not been repaired.                                         Action:  Clerk (2)

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board – The Clerk was asked to obtain another quote.  It was agreed that the Parish Council would look at the work to be done in the Cemetery, in its totality next month.                                                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

073/06  Frogge Street – Flooding – Work now completed by Highways

087/06 Tipped soil adj Tylers Yard – Work still to be carried out.                                    Action:  JM

089/06  Frogge Street pavement – Work now completed by Highways.  It was agreed to write and thank Mike Cooper for arranging to get these works completed and also to congratulate him on his Recognition of Outstanding Customer Service award.                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

096/06   BAA flight heights – Mick Martin (Imperial War Museum) has passed on a map showing all the flight heights and said he was willing to come to a Parish Council meeting to explain further.  It was agreed to invite Mr Martin to next month’s meeting.                                                                 Action:  Clerk

101/06 ’No dogs’ sign – this had now been obtained together with the other sign ‘Children under 7 years….’.  C Frankau has been asked to fix them onto the relevant posts.

118/06 HGVs – this item is on the outstanding list sent to David Lines.                             Action:  Clerk

            Graffiti-Bus shelter – the graffiti has now been removed and the bus shelter repainted.

Newspaper bank – this has been logged with SCDC and will be repaired at some point.

                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

134/06 Lime tree – Ron Coulson had looked at the tree and said it was a ‘winter’ job.  It was agreed that permission to remove the tree should be sought from the Tree Preservation Officer.  

Action:  Clerk

Street Lighting – A letter had been sent to SCDC and a response is awaited.        Action:  Clerk

Wellcome Trust meeting – this has been postponed until 26 September.                Action: JM/SB

Litterbin – Ron Coulson had provided a replacement litter bin.

Wooden posts – Highways will be dealing with these shortly.                               Action:  Clerk

Weed in River Cam – The Clerk had spoken to the Environment Agency who said the weed-cutting programme was now in progress and will have to be completed by 1 October.  They are not allowed to cut for 3 months after that due to winter nesting.  The Clerk was asked to find out more information.                                                                                                       Action:  Clerk

Flashing speed signs - this item is on the outstanding list sent to David Lines.         Action:  Clerk

Black bins and collection of black sacks – No response had been received from SCDC.                                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

147/06 Youth Representation:  None

 

148/06 Correspondence received:

SCDC              -           Village Services and amenities

CCC                 -           Working to improve services for Cambridgeshire people

CCC                 -           Ickleton public footpaths 4,5 and 11

(A letter is to be sent saying lots of concerns were expressed at some of the proposed changes and ask if it was really necessary.) Action:  JM/Clerk       

CCC                 -           Acknowledgement of letter sent to David Lines

CCC                 -           A-Z Council Services

CCC                 -           Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee – Special Meeting

CCC                 -           Info. For Parish Paths (P3) Bulletin 2006

COPE              -           Various literatures

COPE              -           Events being held in Cambridge

CALC              -           Role and function of CALC

CALC              -           New Constitution proposals

Crocus FC        -           Football pitch

Crocus FC        -           Dog Fouling on football pitch

Hexcel              -           Invitation to meeting 12 September 2006

CPRE               -           East of England plan

CPRE               -           Fieldwork/ Natural collection

Camb. Acre      -           Community Action

Glasdon            -           Catalogue

DEFRA            -           Rural Services Review

LCR                 -           Journal National Assoc. of Local Councils

CCD                -           Clerks & Councils Direct

Correspondence sent:

SCDC              -           Street lighting

Churchwardens -           Parking

Essex CC         -           Gt Chesterford Bridge (copy: Gt Chesterford PC)

Mick Martin      -           Flight heights

Algar Signcraft  -           Signage for play area

R Skeates         -           Cemetery

Lewis Duke      -           Letter of intention re addition ground for Cemetery

 

149/06 Planning applications:

Jane Hurst declared an interest and left the meeting.

 

S/1555/06/F – Conservatory – 30 Abbey Street – Mrs J Hurst – No Recommendation

S/1556/06/LB – Replacement of living room window by doorway for access to proposed timber lean-to Conservatory – 30 Abbey Street – Mrs J Hurst – No Recommendation

Jane Hurst rejoined the meeting.

 

Planning application granted:

S/0904/06/F – Conservatory – 10 Mill Lane – Jason Harding

Planning application amendment:

S/1333/06/F – Dwelling (removal of round windows from side elevations) – Land adj. 20 Brookhampton Street – Mr P Hoskins

 

150/06 Reports from Councillors:

James Macdonald mentioned the illegal Rave held on 25/26 September.  The events of the nights and its implications were discussed. 

The Clerk was asked to write to Stanley Peck (Neighbourhood Watch) to ask it he could supply current advice to people through the Icene.                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

The revised hourly bus service seemed to working well and was more reliable.  The Council decided not to send a response to SCDC re. Gambling Act 2005 – Draft policy.

SCDC have invited members of parish councils to a Community Strategy Workshop on 15 November.  As this is being held on the same evening as our Parish Council meeting it will not be possible for anyone to attended.  John Williams will report back to the Council.                                  Action:  JW/Clerk 

Lewis Duke said the churchwardens were concerned about the pigeons attacking the lime mortar in the retaining churchyard flint wall.  The Clerk was asked to contact Andy Hall for a quotation.  There had been another air crash at Duxford airfield but no one was injured.                                         Action:  Clerk

Jane Hurst said the pavement in Mill Lane needed attention.  The Clerk was asked to report this to Highways.                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

Tim Pavelin asked if the Council were aware of the new Risk Assessment legislation as from 1 October regarding age discrimination.  The Clerk was asked to put this on next month’s Agenda.           Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler asked if we could find out more information from Rail Track regarding the camera and traffic count wires on the road that have been installed at Hinxton Road crossing.              Action:  Clerk

Whilst looking at the Objection site re. Huntsman he noticed that the local wildlife trust had registered the River Cam from Gt Shelford to the Essex boundary as a County Wildlife Site (CWS).

Sheila Birch reported that the Ickleton Society has for recent years obtained the license and organised Carol Singing around the village but now wished to pass it over.  As this is an event, which young children enjoy, it is hoped parents of children will take on this responsibility.  It was agreed to put an article in Icene.                                                                                                                                               Action:  Clerk

 

151/06 Reports from District and County Councillors:

County Councillor – see Annex 1

District Councillor  John Williams reported he had attended a Neighbourhood Policing meeting (Lewis Duke had also attended).  Local crime had remained static although an increase had been seen in Sawston and Abington.  Traffic speeding through the villages will get more attention.  He is currently looking into the access at Gt Chesterford station whereby it would be possible to get off a train from London and cycle to Ickleton without crossing the bridge.  He had attended a meeting at IWM who were explaining their future plans.   He had also collected some information regarding Tennis, which he passed onto Mark Stone-Wigg.

A member of the public left the meeting.

 

152/06 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Harts                -           £69.51                          Algar Signcraft              -           £63.45

V Mila              -           £1000.00                       C Frankau                     -           £223.96

Receipts:        R Skeates Funeral Directors      - £100.00

                        SCDC Precept                          - £5,500.00

 

Community account                               -           £4,567.22

Business Base Rate Tracker account     -           £15,977.43

 

153/06 Recreation Field and Play Area

            RoSPA report & repairs – C Frankau he had completed some of the tasks.          Action: Clerk

Spring bird & horse – Mark Stone-Wigg asked the Clerk to find out who supplied these items.

                                                                                                            Action: Clerk/MS-W

Tennis Courts – the first meeting of the committee is due to take place on 26 September.

Football pitch – Two letters from Crocus FC were read out regarding the state of the football pitch and the other about dog fouling.  The Clerk had spoken to C Frankau regarding the state of the pitch who said he was spraying weedkiller and fertiliser.  He had strengthened the goal posts.  After discussion it was agreed that the pitch could not be moved during a season and that a letter be written to C Frankau asking if he could give the pitch his concerted effort.  Tim Pavelin said our pitch was poor compared with some that they played on in the area.  It should be noted that it is important for us to start maintenance in the summer as soon as possible as it gets more difficult as the season goes on.  The Clerk was asked to check the costs for maintaining the football pitch.

Dog Fouling.  A match had to be stopped four times in order to remove dog fouling from the pitch.    The Parish Council agreed that if there are any more instances of dog fouling on the Football pitch, they might have to require all dogs on the Recreation Ground to be kept on a lead.  An article will be included in the Icene.                                                                                 Action:  Clerk (3)

 

154/06 Allotments: Nothing further to report

A member of the public left the meeting.

 

155/06             Police:  The Chairman and Vice Chairman had had a useful meeting with Inspector Paul Ormerod (South Cambridgeshire Sector Commander).  An article will be included in next month’s Icene.  It was suggested that at next year’s AGM ‘Police’ should be added to a Councillor’s responsibilities.

                                                                                                                        Action: JM/LD/Clerk

156/06  Cemetery

Rabbits – the culling of the rabbits should continue.                                                          Action:  Clerk

Grave surrounds – David Skeates apologised for not being able to respond to our letter before the meeting but will do so shortly.  No response had been received from Ely Diocese.  W Holdgate had now supplied a drawing, which would be circulated to the Parish Council.                                       Action:  Clerk

Additional burial ground – a letter of intent had been sent, signed by the landowner and returned to the Clerk to put on file.

 

157/06 Hexcel

Three members of the Parish Council attended a meeting on 12 September to which we had been invited.  A planning application has been submitted for the site, which manufacture Impregnated Carbon Fibre sheets.  The plans (S/1749/06/O) had been requested from SCDC but had not yet arrived; the Clerk will ask again and also clarify the deadline date for response.  Item to be put on next month’s Agenda.    Action:  Clerk

 

158/06 CALC

An invitation to attend the AGM/EGM on Saturday 14 October had been received.  An item to be discussed is the role and function of CALC.  Any Councillor wishing to attend should inform the Clerk.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

 

159/05 Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

160/05 Date and time of next meeting:  Wednesday 18 October 2006 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.10 pm.

 

 

 

Chairman

 

Date



Annex 1 - County Councillor's Report                                                                      19th September 2006

 

 

Objection Sites

The consultation on South Cambridgeshire's Objection Sites closed on 28th July.  The M11 motorway service area proposal received support from one person with over 160 against, including the County Council, various Parish Councils and the Imperial War Museum itself.  Thank you for your participation.  Now it's up to the Inspector to decide.

 

Waste and Minerals Plan

The County is in the midst of producing a plan for extracting minerals and dealing with waste up to 2021.  There are in fact three plans all being prepared at the same time.  The only matter of immediate interest locally is that the Thriplow tip is planned to remain much as it is.  The whole plan will go out to consultation for a six-week period in November and December.

 

Concessionary Fares

You will have seen that free bus fares for the over 60s are to be reinstated in October.  There have been mammoth negotiations to secure the outcome.  The deal is reliant on getting additional government funding based initially on the numbers of people travelling into, within and out of Cambridge.  Numbers will be measured in the last two weeks of October, so please encourage people to use the buses then.

 

Old bus passes can be renewed at local post offices.  In principle the old orange ones marked HALF FARE will be valid until their normal expiry but it could be advisable to get a new blue one marked FREE PASS which in principle is valid for the current arrangements until 1st October as well as the new ones applicable after then.  It's all a question of how aware bus drivers are.

 

Imperial War Museum

The new Airspace exhibition area is now partially open.  One or two pieces of the excellent hands-on educational equipment designed for children and supposedly very robust lasted only a few days.  Maybe they weren't designed by a parent.

 

The T33 crash response worked very well.  Great relief about no injuries and that the aircraft was taking off from east to west.  This was the first serious accident faced by the new IWM team.  The only major casualty apart from the aircraft itself was the airfield fire engine, which tore out a crucial part of its hydraulic system on a tree stump.  That brought it to a complete standstill.

 

An advisory committee meeting is to take today, Tuesday 19th September, which is intended to outline progress towards possible proposals for the north side of the A505.  I shall leave it to your representative to report.

 

Mike Cooper

Mike has now been chosen for a Recognition of Outstanding Customer Service award.  Thank you for supporting me in achieving this very positive result. I hope a representative of the Parish Council will be able to attend the award ceremony at 11 a.m. on Thursday 21st September at the Whittlesford Highways depot.

 

Tim Stone