ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 15 November 2006 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Tim Pavelin, Peter Wombwell, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk), Timothy Stone (County Councillor), Mick Martin and 4 members of the public.

 

179/06 Apologies for absence:  Jane Hurst, Lewis Duke, Robin Driver and John Williams (District Councillor) – previous engagements.  Terry Sadler (Emergency engagement)

 

The Chairman brought the next item forward.

 

192/06 Imperial War Museum:  Mick Martin, (who works at Imperial War Museum, Duxford and is a Duxford Parish Councillor), came along to explain the flight paths/heights of planes that fly over Ickleton to Stansted.  Graphs were shown which showed the flights in and out of Stansted with the appropriate heights at various points.  At the moment, there are an average of 650 daily movements, which will be increased in July 2007 to 770.  Stansted are looking to increase this to 850 flights a day on the single runway but within the same time scale.  All the Stansted and Luton planes in the holding area West of Cambridge are at 7,000 feet, descending to a minimum of 2,500 feet if carrying out a missed approach procedure.  There is a plan to create three holding areas, this will be effective from about March 2009 and will remove almost all air traffic from directly over the village.  On a separate matter, Mr Martin assured the Council that they would be kept informed on the progress of the IWM Duxford planning proposals, once the planning inspector has reached his decision in early 2007. A vote of thanks was given to Mr Martin for taking the time and trouble to talk to us – this was very much appreciated.                                                                      Action:  Clerk

 

180/06 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 18 October 2006:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

181/06 Adjournment for questions from members of the public: None

 

182/06 Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – Following a meeting with Mike Cooper (Highways) it was agreed that a meeting would be arranged to discuss this further with Timothy Stone (County Councillor).                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

296/05 Gt Chesterford bridge & grass verge – A letter had been received from the Chairman of Essex County Council.  A response was to be sent saying the Parish Council were disappointed that no immediate action could be taken and that we would continue to notify them of any accidents that occur.  It will also be pointed out that the hedges need trimming again.                                                                                                      Action:  Clerk

028/06  Chapel roof – in the absence of Robin Driver there was nothing to report.

                                                                                                            Action:  RD

Village seats – C Frankau as yet to complete repairing the village seats.   Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – We have instructed Adams Harrison to go ahead with the draft Deed of Variation to incorporate the revised plan relating to the Village Hall.  The Clerk will also ask them to make enquiries relating to Coploe Pit.                               Action:  Clerk

068/06  ‘Brightening up’ village:  Jane Hurst and Jocelyn Flitton had a meeting with Mike Cooper (Highways) on 3 November 2006.  The following points were discussed:  (a) planting trees in the field along Frogge Street (b) planting more bulbs around the village on wide grass verges (c) installing gates near the 30 mph speed signs in Frogge Street and Duxford Road. The Millennium Committee is willing to donate some money towards this project, providing they have no responsibility.  The Clerk was asked to obtain quotations for the gates.

                                                                                                            Action:  Clerk 

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board – C Frankau to carry out this work.  Action:  Clerk

087/06 Tipped soil adj Tylers Yard – to be reviewed as next meeting when the work should have been completed.                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

134/06 Lime tree:  The Clerk to contact the Tree & Landscape Officer to see if she wishes to carry out a site visit.                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

Street Lighting – SCDC have replied saying they have no plans to vary the times at which the streetlights are switched on and off.  The initial view is that the cost of installing or altering the timing mechanisms for each light could outweigh any power savings.

Flashing speed signs:  A response had been received from the CCC but it was felt the costs were way too high.  Newton Parish Clerk said they had completed the ‘Minor Improvement Schemes’ form giving 2 years prior history.  She recommended that we talk to Timothy Stone regarding this.                                                                                      Action:  Clerk

Black bins and collection of black sacks – Nothing to report in the absence of John Williams.                                                                                                         Action:  JW

150/06 Churchyard flint wall – Tim Pavelin declared a non-prejudicial interest.  Andy Hoare said that he thought it best if the pavement side of the flint wall was sprayed with weed killer and the weeds left to die.  The Clerk was asked to contact Ron Coulson.  The Parish Council agreed to accept Mr Hoare’s quotation for the internal repair of the flint wall at an estimated cost of £370.                                                                                             Action:  Clerk (2)

Rail Track – No response.  Item to be dropped from Agenda.

154/06 Allotments:  The Chairman had been in discussion with another landowner, who was considering the proposal.                                                                     Action:  JM

163/06 Carr & Bircher skip lorries – A letter had been received stating they currently had nine skips in Ickleton and six in Duxford plus additional sand/aggregate deliveries.  They are currently doing their part by recycling 85% of all rubbish returned to their site.

168/06 Flooding Cemetery corner:  Peter Wombwell will organise the gullies to be dug out to allow the water to drain into the field.                                                 Action:  PW

191/06 Neighbourhood Watch – The Clerk is currently talking to some residents who are considering taking on this role.                                                                 Action:  Clerk

 

Two members of the public left the meeting.

 

183/06 Youth Representation:  None

 

184/06 Correspondence received:

SCDC              -           Street Lights in Ickleton

SCDC              -           Revised Code of Conduct Training Sessions

SCDC              -           Grants (Community/Village Sports/Arts)

CCC                -           Listening to your views questionnaire

CCC                -           Guide to driving near water

CCC                -           Senior Management structure

CCC                -           Duxford Airfield Management Liaison minutes

CCC                -           Street Lighting Maintenance & Energy 2006/07

CCC                -           Tackling the growing challenge of congestion in Cambs.

CCC                -           Camclerks

CCC                -           Consultation on Registration Service in Cambridgeshire

CCC                -           Life on the Verge newsletter

CCC                -           Cambs & Peterborough Minerals & Waste (inc. DVD)

CCC                -           Cambs Youth Banks

CCC                -           Cambridge United Football in the Community

CCC                -           Myers Bus Service

CCC                -           Cambs. Association for Local History

SVC                -           Sawston Village College – forward planning

CALC              -           Newsletters/Courses/The Bulletin

Carr & Bircher Response to letter sent dated 19 October

S Peck             -           Neighbourhood Watch

Crocus FC       -           Football pitch & dog fouling

Buchans           -           Grounds maintenance

SSE                 -           Stop Stansted Expansion – News on Airport Expansion Prop.

Letters sent:

Herald Contract            Retaining board

V Mila              -           Playground – Spring bird & horse

C Frankau        -           Quotation accepted (Retaining board)

Network Rail    -           Chase letter to one dated 25 September

Newton PC      -           Flashing speed signs

Mr & Mrs Head           Neighbourhood Watch

C&VF             -           Community & Voluntary Forum

C&DCMS       -           Invitation – Cambridge & District Community Mediation Serv.

Cambs. Cons.  -           Cambridgeshire Constabulary Newsletter

NALC             -           Magazine

CPRE              -           Voice magazine/Xmas catalogue/

C&CD             -           Clerks & Councils Direct magazine

CA                   -           Countryside Alliance

Wicksteed        -           Catalogue

IVH                 -           Fly tipping in Village Hall Car Park

 

185/06 Planning applications:

S/1881/06/F – Double Garage – 60 Frogge Street – Mr and Mrs J Raynham – No recommendation.

S/1997/06/LB – Alteration - Installation of Metal Flexible Flue Liners in Drawing and Sitting Room Chimneys - Norman Hall, 21 Church Street – P J Owen – No recommendation.

Planning application refused by SCDC:

S/1556/06/LB – Replacement of Living Room Window – 30 Abbey Street – Mrs J Hurst

The Parish Council raised concerns relating to Listed Buildings in the village.  The Clerk was asked to contact the Planning department and ask if they would be willing to attend a Parish Council meeting.                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

SCDC Gypsy & Traveller Development Plan Document:  Timothy Stone (County Councillor) recommended that the Parish Council should send a reply/response by 24 November.                                                                                               Action:  JM/Clerk

Planning proposal - 31/33 Abbey Street:  The Chairman had met with John Holt and discussed his proposals and there was nothing further to say at this moment.

Hexcel – The Chairman of Hinxton Parish Council had contacted our Chairman, as they had held an open meeting in the village, which had raised concerns about one chemical in particular that is being used.  The Parish Council agreed that we notify SCDC that this has been brought to our attention and that we wished to be kept informed and updated on this application.                                                                                                Action:  Clerk

 

186/06 Reports from Councillors:  Sheila Birch raised a query with Timothy Stone about the A505 paragraph in his last report.

 

 

187/06 Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor         -           See Appendix I

County Councillor         -           See Appendix II

 

188/06 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Harts                -           £69.51              Adams Harrison           -           £697.50

R Coulson        -           £2030.00

 

Community Account:                                        £695.34 (following transfer of £3,000)

Business Base Rate Tracker Account:   £16,561.99

 

Risk Assessment:  The Chairman will e-mail the draft report for comments.  Item to be put on next month’s Agenda.                                                                 Action:  JM/Clerk

 

189/06 Recreation Field and Play Area

RoSPA report & repairs – C Frankau still had two items outstanding. Action:  Clerk

Spring bird & horse -  Mark Stone-Wigg will complete the insurance claim form and return to the Clerk.  It was agreed that a notice should be put in Icene apologising for the delay in repairing/replacing these items, saying that in the meantime they should not be used.  C Frankau to be asked to ‘tape’ them off.                                           Action: M S-W/Clerk

Tennis Courts – Another meeting had been held during which funding and location were discussed and whether it should be run as a club or open for general use.  The Committee will need to produce a business plan.  The Clerk asked if she could be copied in on the minutes so they could be circulated to the Councillors.                                         Action:  M S-W

Football pitch / Dog Fouling – Crocus Football Club had written to say they appreciated the effort that was being given to the pitch and reported one further incident of dog fouling.

 

190/06 Coploe Pit:  Sheila Birch reported that she was still trying to establish the ownership of the pit.  The Clerk will check the archived minutes and contact Adams Harrison (see 53/06).  Cambridge Conservation Volunteers came and cleared the pit last Sunday.  The Clerk was asked to contact C Frankau as there was a bonfire to be lit.  Mrs Birch had also contacted Wildlife Trust with regard to obtaining a grant to clear the undergrowth back to the chalk.  Peter Wombwell suggested putting sheep into the pit.  It was agreed he would organise this in liaison with Sheila Birch.                                                          Action:  SB/PW/JAF

 

191/06  Cemetery:

Guidelines/Markers – No response had been received regarding either of these matters.  A decision/response will be made at next month’s meeting with regard to Mr W Holdgate’s request.                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

 

193/06 Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

194/06 Date and time of next meeting:  Wednesday 13 December 2006 @ 7.30 pm.

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.45 pm.

 

Chairman:

 

Date:


Appendix I

 

John Williams (District Councillor)

 

Notes for Ickleton Parish Council, Wednesday 15 November, 2006

 

1. Street lighting - not answering letters.

 

I was able to see the elusive Paul Quigley yesterday and he apologised for the not replying by his department and you will now have his reply.

 

I should say that it is not exactly an infrequent problem….I encounter it particularly with people anxious about housing matters, and I have complained about it.

Incidentally the housing officer for this area - Yvette Holmes - has now left the Council.

 

2.Throwaway tyres

 

If old tyres are on the verge at the side of a road, the collection of those is regarded as fly tipping and the District Council is responsible.

 

The procedure is to report it to the SCDC Contact Centre: Tel: 08450 450 063. The District Council will come and collect it.

 

3. Hexcel

For information:

Following from the Hexcel application, discussions and meetings have been going on with myself and Tim Stone with Hexcel,  SCDC Planning Dept, Duxford Parish Council, Hinxton Parish Council. 

Basically we are looking to work towards alleviating the problem of site worker traffic affecting Duxford during the construction period.

Hinxton PC's concern is the view of the buildings across the fields from certain angles. 

 

As I see it the discussions with all parties engendered by this application are fruitful in the sense that it focuses attention on the growing problem of the traffic infrastructure of the area, and makes us consider beginning pressure now on trying to get long-term future improvements much nearer in time.

 

The use of Duxford and Ickleton as rat-runs is not going to go away, with or without Hexcel. The A.505 traffic queues will not get less, only more.

As I see it the realistic solutions are either

(a) A flyover at the Sawston roundabout, or

(b) making Junction 9 two-way in both directions. I have my own thoughts - I would be interested in comments on the geographical practicality of this latter solution.


Appendix II   

 

Timothy Stone - County Councillor's Report                        15th November 2006

 

Budget 2007/8

The County Council's Budget process has started for the next year.

 

The position is extremely discouraging.  Amongst other things the cost of looking after older people has gone millions of pounds way over budget because of more people in care and more expensive care packages needed.  This was partly as a result of bad forecasting last year.

 

At this stage the budget panel meetings are still being conducted in confidence while options are being considered.  But already senior officers are known to be losing their jobs in another round of restructuring.  Service cuts are almost inevitable and the atmosphere is sombre while we try to thrash out the issues.

 

The government has been entirely unhelpful.  They refuse to acknowledge the problems of growth in Cambridgeshire and consider that inflation is running at 2% while the cost of fuel - a significant cost to the council - has risen by some 40%.

 

Discretionary Traffic Management

In the light of current financial problems the County has frozen all discretionary traffic management schemes for this year. This applies to minor traffic management measures, for example traffic signs, road markings and traffic regulation orders that are not part of an approved scheme from a capital budget.

 

Time will tell how much - if anything - will be available next year.

 

Footway Lighting

You should by now have received the first bill for street lighting.  Please let me know if you haven't.

 

The cost for power is currently running at 6p per kilowatt, but there is every chance that when the contract comes up for renewal next year the price could be closer to 8p, which is what it is in the open market now.  The County tries to set its contract price in the summer months because prices seem to be lower at that time of year.

 

You will recall that in a bizarre U-turn, when the District Council was trying to pass on the cost of footway lighting to Parishes, they agreed to maintain ownership of the lighting stock and insure it.  Now the County Council has decided that it has to proceed to a Private Finance Initiative to up-date its lighting stock because a fair proportion of lamp columns and fittings is 20 years or so beyond its useful life.

 

It may offer the opportunity to the Districts to join in the scheme and that may ultimately have repercussions on Parishes.  You may like to consider whether you would like to have more say over the lighting stock in the village.

 

Hexcel

The County is strictly involved only in the highways aspect of Hexcel's application.  At the moment officers are examining the environmental assessment and trying to predict some of the transport outcomes through a transport assessment.  They will also be considering access and road width amongst other things.  They appreciate that the District Council is pressing for a reply but they believe that a proper study is more valuable than a quick one.

 

You may be aware that members of Hinxton Parish Council are intending to leaflet Ickleton and Duxford to try to stimulate opposition to the Hexcel expansion.  This will be on a number of grounds, including the transport and of the use of dangerous chemicals, visual intrusion and extending the factory site beyond the boundaries set in the local plan.

 

Duxford Parish Council is in favour of the expansion but has recommended rejection at this stage because it considers that the traffic during the construction phase will be more than Hunts Road can take.

 

Travellers Sites

This is strictly a District Council matter but you should have been told of South Cambridgeshire's draft travellers plan.  This is currently out for consultation and the whole plan can be seen on the website.  From about page 34 there are details of the proposed criteria for the establishment of travellers' sites.  The District Council is particularly keen that Parish Councils should consider these criteria.  If, at a later date, applications come forward which meet the criteria then it will be too late for parish Councils to object.