ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 17 January 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present: Lewis Duke (Vice Chairman), Peter Wombwell, Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Jane Hurst, Robin Driver, Mark Stone-Wigg, Tim Pavelin, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk).  Nick Grimshaw (SCDC) and 4 members of the public.

 

In the absence of the Chairman, Lewis Duke took the chair.

 

001/07            Apologies for absence: James Macdonald, Timothy Stone, John Williams (previous engagements)

 

002/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 13 December 2006.  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

003/07            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

007/07  The Chairman invited Mr Nick Grimshaw (SCDC – Conservation Design Manager) to speak on Listed Buildings.  Mr Grimshaw said that he and two officers deal specifically with listed buildings and conservation applications.  They are grounded in legislation and policy laid out for them.  Changes to the Local Development Plan are due to take place from March 2007.  SCDC require and look for a depth of knowledge by the applicant to justify that their proposals are desirable or necessary.

Tim Pavelin and 1 member of the public joined the meeting.

A questions and answers session then took place.  Mr Grimshaw was thanked for attending the meeting.  It was agreed to put this item on the Agenda next month for further discussion.

 

004/07            Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – Following a meeting with Brian Stinton (CCC) and Timothy Stone (County Councillor) on 5 January 2007, Mr Stinton has made the following comments/proposals: 

“Parking-Church Street.  Parking close to the bend and junction with Butcher's Hill forces northbound vehicles onto the wrong side of the road near the bend and junction. There is potential for oncoming vehicles to meet/collide.

Fortunately there is no record of injury accidents, probably because the route is relatively lightly trafficked by local drivers who know what to expect. There is already legislation that prevents drivers parking too close to junctions or bends and the police could take action against any vehicle that they considered to be too close or causing danger and/or obstruction without recourse to formal restrictions. Formal restrictions sometimes discourage inappropriate parking but when enforcement is limited so too are the restrictions, especially when residents are parking close to their property. The parking may also have influence driver speeds and its removal may lead to greater speeding problems.  Given the situation here this would be a low priority for action with the County Council.

Parking on Abbey Street.  Parking on Abbey Street causes considerable congestion at busier times, with parking on both sides of the road at some locations and some vehicles partly parking on the footway. Abbey Street is a busier through route than Church Street and there is one serious injury accident resulting from parking. The comment from above relating to speed, enforcement and residents' convenience apply to some extent. However, the situation would appear to be more deserving of some action. A scheme could be developed that controls parking in such a way that it still controls speed but reduces congestion.

Speeding.  This a widespread problem across the county but is one that is very difficult to resolve without high levels of expenditure. Lower cost measures such as signs or even interactive signs have a limited impact. The cost of maintaining interactive signs is high and one that the County Council is having difficulty keeping pace with. Any signs funded by third parties would now also have to be maintained by that party. The county speed limit policy is being reviewed and in the light of government requirements to consider speed management needs of A and B roads. This will capture the village, but may be a few years away.

Funding.  There is currently no funding for traffic management work at sites that do not suffer a recurring accident record. This means that restrictions in Abbey Street cannot be implemented in the foreseeable future. I do propose to survey the parking on Abbey Street periodically over the next few months and develop proposals for consultation should funds become available. I will contact the parish council later in the spring with suggestions.”

 

Robin Driver raised concern about the low priority being given to Church Street/Brookhampton Street junction.  The police have been informed but no action has been taken.  A response will be sent to Brian Stinton (copy to Timothy Stone), asking him to go ahead with developing the scheme for Abbey Street to present to the Parish Council; also pointing out that no mention has been made about the lorries and their possible use of Satellite Navigation systems.   The police will be contacted again.                        Action:  Clerk

028/06            Cemetery Chapel roof – Vandals had stripped the lead and made a hole in the roof.  The police had been informed and an insurance claim will be made.  An estimate had been obtained from George Collin & Sons Ltd for the sum of £2,983.22 + VAT.  It was agreed to accept this estimate.  It was felt that there was a need for rolling maintenance to be done on the chapel; the woodwork was in need of attention.  Robin Driver will meet with the builders again and obtain a price/quotation.  It was agreed to put the Bell on the Agenda for next month’s meeting.                                                                        Action:  RD/Clerk

Village seats – C Frankau has yet to complete repairing the seats.                                        Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – The Clerk will again chase Mr Marris (Adams Harrison) regarding Coploe Pit.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

068/06            ‘Brightening up’ village – The Parish Clerk had yet to obtain quotes for the cost of gates.  Robin Driver felt the trees in Frogge Street would not be possible due to the planted hedge, but suggested that trees could be planted on the verge of the field opposite the entrance to Ickleton Riverside Barns.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board – C Frankau has yet to complete this task.                 Action:  Clerk

087/06 Tipped soil – A letter had been received from the Environment Agency regarding piles of Chalk in a field in Frogge Street.  They had inspected the site and found they are not within the flood plain and will not be taking any further action.  The Clerk was asked to keep this item on the Agenda.            Action:  Clerk

134/06 Lime tree – Two Councillors had met with Roz Richardson (SCDC) on 11 January.  She said the lime tree needed trimming at the bottom and pollarding at the top.  Two sycamore trees were also shown to her and she said she saw no problem in cutting them down and the roots poisoned.  The Clerk will contact Ms Richardson and ask for confirmation of this; also to obtain two quotations to carry out the work.  Robin Driver also mentioned that there were other saplings, which were growing near the flint wall of Mowbrays.  There was also a sycamore tree leaning on a flint wall in Mill Lane.  The Clerk to arrange for Roz Richardson to visit Ickleton again.  Simon Casement (Churchwarden) to be kept informed. Action:  Clerk

150/06 Churchyard flint wall – An invoice had been received for the work done together with comments on the state of the wall.  The Clerk to arrange a meeting with Andy Hoare.                             Action:  Clerk

154/06 Allotments – The Chairman was still in discussion with landowners.                  Action:  JM

190/06 Coploe Pit – grazing.  Peter Wombwell will liaise with Sheila Birch.                 Action: PW/SB

202/06 Neighbourhood Police Panel – Lewis Duke will attend the next meeting on 21 February 2007.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  LD

Flooding Duxford Road & Church Street – Mike Cooper had been informed about the correct siting of the problem in Duxford Road.  The drain in Church Street had been jetted and the blockage cleared.  The flooding at Cemetery corner and hardcore on the road had also been pointed out to Mr Cooper.

 

005/07 Youth Representation:  None

 

006/07            Correspondence received:

CCC                 -            Winter Maintenance Leaflets

CCC                 -            Statement of Community Involvement Town & Country Planning

CCC                 -            Countryside Events January – June 2007

CCC                 -            Parish Path Partnershiip (P3) 2006/07

CCC                 -            Countryside Access Team Annual Report April 2005 – March 2006

CCC                 -            County Council Budget for 2007/08

CCC                 -            Addenbrooke’s Access Road given the green light

CCC                 -            Contracted Bus Service

CCC                 -            Mike Cooper (Highways) – various items

CCC                 -            Mike Cooper (Highways) – Grange Road

CCC                 -            Trading Standards Newsletter ‘Inside Trade’

GO-East            -            Proposed changes to The East of England plan

SCDC              -            Christmas Waste & Recycling Arrangements

Cambs. Con.            -            Sawston Neighbourhood Newsletter Dec 2006

Cambs. Con.            -            South Cambs. Neighbourhood Policing Teams

Cambs Con.            -            Notes Neighbourhood Panel 29 November 2006

Cambs Con.            -            E- cops email from Eric Spoelstra

Carillion-URS            -            M11 Motorway – Strethall Bridleway Bridge

A Lansley            -            S Cambs. Housing Revenue Account &  Housing Capital Receipts

A Lansley            -            Noise M11 Motorway

Duxford            -            Excerpt from Duxford Chatterbox on Hexcel’s Planning application

Env. Agency            -            Chalk piles in Frogge Street

E Culling            -            Parish Clerk Gt Chesterford PC - Hexcel

D Lilley            -            Bus Service 101

SVC                 -            Arts Development Manager

Fire Auth            -            Cambs & Peterborough Fire Authority Precept 2007/08

Stop Stansted            -            Conference 4 February 2007

Stop Stansted            -            Newsletter

Essex CC            -            Essex Minerals & Waste Development Framework

Wildlife Trt            -            Wildlife sites – Coploe pit

CPRE               -            Planning Applications Workshop for Parish & Town Councillors

Tennis              -            Tennis Courts Committee – Minutes 11 Jan 07

COPE              -            Newsletter

Playgrounds            -            Leaflet

Glasdon            -            Catalogue

Camb Acre            -            Magazine Winter 2006

LCR                 -            Journal

LVSC               -            Publications

LC                   -             Clerks & Councils Direct 2007

Correspondence sent:

SCDC              -            Ickleton Riverside Barns (update)

Rev A Schofield            Ickleton Cemetery

CCC                 -            Contracted Bus Services

Stagecoach            -            Ickleton Village Green

PSV Claims            -            Ickleton Village Green

 

007/07            Planning applications:

S/2291/06/LB – Alterations-Installation of Partitions in Annexe to create Ground Floor Ensuite & Corridor & First floor Ensuite – 22 Abbey Street, Ickleton – M Tomlinson & S Siwicka – Refuse.   There is no mention of car park provision and we are minded to refuse until and unless that is resolved.  The house fronts directly onto the street and the access to the rear is down a narrow driveway, shared by another nearby house and with 2 side doors to the adjacent property facing on Abbey Street (which is the main street through the village). 

S/2431/06/F – Garage/Workshop/Store with Annexe Over – 33 Frogge Street – Mrs P Fearn.  Approve.

 

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC:

S/1809/06/LB – Alterations, Enlargement & Reconstruction of Outbuildings with Extension for Annexe – 26 Abbey Street, Ickleton – Mr and Mrs R Olds

S/1881/06/F – Double garage – 60 Frogge Street, Ickleton – Mr and Mrs J Raynham

 

008/07            Reports from Councillors:

Tim Pavelin – Pothole in Frogge Street – l/h side just past 30 mph speed sign.                 Action: Clerk

Terry Sadler – The drain outside the Ickleton Lion was full of gravel.                          Action:  Clerk

Sheila Birch – There was a large puddle at side of road in Brookhampton Street also near the wooden bridge in Hinxton Road.  One tyre has dumped near M11 Motorway bridges in Frogge Street.

Action:  Clerk

Mark Stone-Wigg – A tree is leaning on the flint wall in Butcher’s Hill.  The Clerk will write to the landowner.                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

Jane Hurst – There is a pothole outside No. 36 Abbey Street again.                              Action:  Clerk

Peter Wombwell – Some residents had rung the police regarding drugs in the village but had received no response.  A resident had also rung to report a crime in Brookhampton Street but had received no feedback.  Lewis Duke will raise these at the next Police Neighbourhood Panel meeting.  The Clerk was asked to speak to PC Perry (who had recently received an award for his contribution in detecting crime in South Cambridgeshire).                                                                                                          Action:  LD/JAF

Lewis Duke – Heavy rain was pouring into the ditch near the M11 motorway and then runs into the slade.  The Clerk will contact Carillion – URS to see if the soakaway from the motorway is blocked.  CCC budget is below shire county settlements.  It was agreed to write to our MP after speaking with Timothy Stone.                                                                                                                                       Action:  Clerk

 

009/07            Reports from District and County Councillors

County Councillor – see Annex 1

District Councillor – Nothing to report

 

010/07            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Harts                -            £53.15              Ickleton Village Hall                   -            £36.00

J A Flitton   -            £435.74                        HM Revenue & Customs            -            £85.21

            AMA Bldg     -            £350.00                        C Frankau                                    -            £2600.28

Victim Support -             £25.00 (Donation)                   

Receipts:  Ickleton FC - £36.75

 

Community Account:                                               £975.70

Business Base Rate Tracker Account:                       £12,667.71

 

Risk Assessment – Item to be put on next month’s Agenda.                                                Action:  Clerk

 

Precept – The Chairman had prepared the figures, which were circulated and discussed by the Councillors.  It was proposed that the precept be increased from £11,000 to £13,000 due to extra responsibilities being placed upon the Parish Council.  Seven Councillors agreed with the proposal, with one vote against.                                                                                                                         Action:  JM/Clerk

 

011/07            Recreation Field and Play Area

RoSPA report & repairs -  C Frankau had yet to tighten the aerial runaway cable.               Action:  Clerk

Spring bird & horse – an insurance claim had been submitted.                                             Action:  Clerk

Sand bags – There were currently 18 empty sacks and a pile of sand in the garage.  These could be filled as required.  Residents should contact Sheila Birch/Tim Pavelin who hold the keys.  Lewis Duke also keeps a pallet of sandbags for emergencies.  Residents, who feel vulnerable to roadway flooding, could obtain sandbags from the Highways Department in Whittlesford.

Tennis Courts – At the meeting held on 11 January, items discussed were Tennis or Multisports, Business Plan, Maintenance funding and management, Site and the next steps.  The Parish Council requested a visit to discuss the site on the Recreation Ground, also that the village should be allowed to view/comment.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  M S-W

 

012/07 Grange Road – A site meeting had been held with Mike Cooper (Highways) on 10 January 2007 regarding the installation of gates at the entrances to the old road.  Mr Cooper has no objections in principal to the erection of 2 gates but confirmed that these would be at the expense of the Parish Council.  He would supply padlocks, keys and complete the necessary documentation.  The Clerk was asked to obtain two quotations for gates, which would be considered.                                                                   Action:  Clerk

 

013/07            Footpaths – Application forms for Parish Path Partnership (P3) 2006/7 had been received from Cambridgeshire County Council, which Sheila Birch will complete with the Clerk.  Maintenance of Grassy Lane and Water Lane were mentioned.  The Clerk will ask C Frankau for an annual quote for cutting Grassy Lane twice a year.  The Clerk to contact to the Parish Clerk at Hinxton regarding Water Lane.  Sheila Birch will speak to James Macdonald regarding the insurance liability as mentioned in CCC letter 18/12/06.  An e-mail had been received from Timothy Stone regarding Footpath 11.  The Clerk to write to CCC reiterating that the relocating of the entrance is an unnecessary expense.            Clerk:  SB/Clerk

 

014/07  Cemetery – Guidelines/Markers.  Another e-mail had been sent to Rev. A Schofield regarding guidelines but no response had yet been received.  No response had been received regarding markers.

                                                                                                                        Action: JH/Clerk

 

015/07            Adjournment for questions by members of the public: 

Street light in Birds Close corner – not working correctly.  Hardcore on road at Cemetery corner (already noted). There were more potholes – Grange Road & Coploe Road junction, outside Larkhill House, Grange Road and after the T junction going towards Gypsy corner/Chrishall Grange.                        Action:  Clerk

 

016/07 Date and time of next meeting :  21 February 2007 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.05 pm

 

 

 

Chairman:

 

 

Date:                                                   


Annex I

County Councillor's report                                                                                      17th January 2007

 

Reward for the county's transport planning

The County Council's relative poverty encourages it to supplement its meagre government income by applying for all reward money available.  It also encourages constant service improvement.  The County has gained another for transport planning and delivery, thanks to an "excellent" rating given by the Government.

 

Government rated the final version of the second Cambridgeshire Local Transport Plan, which covers the period 2006-2011 as ‘excellent’. The Government also assessed Cambridgeshire’s record in delivering the County’s first Local Transport Plan, covering 2001-2006 as ‘excellent’.

 

This combined success means that Government will be giving Cambridgeshire an additional £6.205 million for integrated transport improvements over the next 4 years – this means an increase of around 25 per cent over what the Council was due to get from Government.  That is just as well because part of this anticipated money is already being used to fund free bus transport for the over-60s.

 

Addenbrooke's access road

The Secretary of State for the Department of Communities and Local Government has now endorsed the County's plans, which we approved in November, to construct a new £18 million road to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.  The plans needed his approval because part of the road is top be built within the Green Belt.

 

The new road goes from almost opposite the Trumpington Road Park & Ride, crosses the Shelford Road and then over the railway line towards Addenbrooke’s Hospital. It will enable the hospital to expand and will unlock land for housing developments in the area around Clay Farm and Glebe Farm.

 

There is a vast amount of detail available on the County Council's website: www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/accessroad

 

Hexcel

The County's Highways department has only one senior officer looking after District Council planning applications, so we still have no official comment on the highways aspects of the Hexcel application.  The department is being reorganized to try to alleviate the problem but the main challenge is the difficulty of attracting and retaining good staff.  There used to be four doing the job. At least the one we do have is good, so the recommendation is likely to have been well thought out when it comes.

 

East of England Plan

The Secretary of State has now published his draft revision of the East of England Plan.  You should have received notification and possibly a CD.  If not you can find details at www.goeast.gov.uk

 

We have up until 9th March to respond and I have to admit that I haven't read the document in full yet.  But one key element is that the prescription for allowing a maximum number of houses to be built in each area during the plan period - taking us up to 2021 - has now been lifted.  In other words it seems to have become open season and the maxima have now become minima.  You may wish to comment both as a parish council and as individuals.

 

101 Bus and footpath 11

I have already been in touch during the month about both of these issues but please let me know if you would like me to do any more about them on my return.