ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 21 March 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Terry Sadler, Tim Pavelin, Sheila Birch, Jane Hurst, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk), Timothy Stone (County Councillor) and 5 members of the public.

 

035/07            Apologies for absence: Lewis Duke, Robin Driver, Peter Wombwell, John Williams (District Councillor) – previous engagements.

 

036/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 21 February 2007:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

037/07            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

The Chairman brought the following two items from Matters Arising forward on the Agenda.

 

028/07 Tennis Courts.  Before any decision is made on this, the Parish Council is exploring the possibility of another site close to the Recreation Ground.  The Parish Council expressed their gratitude to the Tennis Court Committee for the work they have already undertaken.  It was agreed to wait two months to see what emerges.                                                                                                              Action:  JM

154/06 Allotments.  The Parish Council had been formally asked by seven residents to provide Allotments.  The Chairman reiterated that the Parish Council has a duty to ‘reasonably’ look at providing allotments and the feasibility of finding/buying the land.  The Parish Council agreed to use their best endeavour to find a suitable site for allotments and a possible site is currently under consideration.  The Clerk was asked to clarify who owns/runs Duxford and Hinxton allotments.            Whittlesford Parish Council own, run and collect the rents for their allotments.                                                                        Action: JM/Clerk

 

4 members of the public left the meeting.

 

038/07            Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking.  Brian Stinton (Cambridgeshire County Council) reports “he is formulating some proposals based on his experiences passing through the village in both car and cycle and he hopes to have more information towards the end of March.

The council have also been engaged in talks with Ordinance Survey to see what can be done about HCVs using Satellite Navigation; recognising that in the right hands and with the right information available, Sat Navs can be very useful.  It is hoped that the future of Sat Nav use will be more about identifying those appropriate routes that HCVs can use, rather than the one size fits all approach that currently is in place. To that end OS have announced the development of a new Sat Nav system, which takes into account physical restrictions such as low bridges and this should be available for use in the summer.   In order to assess this, fairly resource intensive surveys are required to establish the number of unnecessary lorries using the route from those that are using the route for local access. At present the funding issue comes into play yet again, and we are unable to carry out the surveys until more funding is available.”                     Action:  Clerk

028/06  Chapel roof – Work to repair the roof is due to begin week beginning 26 March 2007.  The bell has currently been removed and put in safekeeping.  The Clerk was asked to obtain a quotation to restore the bell securely to the bell tower and obtain advice on how to put a security mark on it.  It should also be specified in the insurance policy.                                                                           Action:  Clerk

Village seats – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau.                                            Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – Coploe Pit.  Mr Marris (Adams Harrison) says that the Inclosure Award, which was sent to him, provides little evidence of the present use and occupation/ownership of the Pit by the Village.  He requires someone to make a statutory declaration about the history of the pit and how it is used/operated now.  The Chairman proposed, and it was agreed, that Sheila Birch and Robin Driver liaise with Mr Marris.                                                                                                             Action:  SB/RD

Back Lane.  It was pointed out that this road is adopted up to Southfields.  James Macdonald declared an interest.  After discussion it was decided to leave this item pending for the time being.

068/06            ‘Brightening up’ village.  The Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee had written to say that the suggestion of planting a tree in the car park would be dealt with at their next meeting, which is due to be held in October.

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board.  This work is still outstanding with C Frankau.            Action:  Clerk

087/06 Tipped soil.  The Clerk will contact CCC to get an update.                         Action:  Clerk

150/06 Churchyard flint wall.  Andy Hoare is happy to meet any Councillors outside the Church on Sunday 25 March 2007 at 5.00 pm.                                                                                               Action:  All

190/06 Coploe Pit – grazing.  The Wildlife Trust had had a meeting with Sheila Birch and Peter Wombwell.  A pit clearance day was held earlier in the month and another one is due in September.  After this, Peter Wombwell will install an electric fence before the sheep are put in the pit.              Action:  SB/PW

008/07 Items reported to Highways.  The various potholes have been dealt with.  However, the Contractors have put planings into the holes in Brookhampton Street but more are needed as the puddles have reappeared.                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

Carillion-URS.  Lewis Duke met with Mr Sullivan and Mr Boatman on 12 March 2007.  At present they could not explain why there is so much rainwater coming off the M11 onto the fields.  They agreed to try and find out more information.  It was also agreed that Mr Duke would ring them when we have a heavy rainfall.                                                                                                                         Action:  LD

024/07 Post Box -Coploe Road.  C Frankau had done the best he could to improve the access to this letterbox.                                 

 

039/07 Youth Representation:  None

 

040/07            Correspondence received:

SCDC              -            Parish Council Election – Thursday 3 May 2007

SCDC              -            Consultation with the Travelling & Settled Comm. – 27 March 2007

SCDC              -            Susan Carter – Mutual Exchanges and s106 Restrictions

SCDC              -            Milton Country Park

SCDC              -            Consultation on Draft Housing Strategy

CCC                 -            B Stinton – Village parking

CCC                 -            Cambridge Area Housing Market Survey 2007

CCC                 -            Changes to contracted bus services: consultation results

CCC                 -            Parish Paths Partnership 2007/08

CCC                 -            Emergency Planning for Pandemic Flu: Burials

DCA                -            Dept. for Constitutional Affairs – Memorial Safety

A Lansley MP            -            Response to East of England Plan

CALC              -            Temporary Closure of offices/Various Workshops

H Peasgood            -            Re. Mr Frederick Toombs dec’d

Cambs Acre            -            Community Action magazine

Cambs Acre            -            Service User Survey

Wildlife Trust            -            Leaflet on Willows

Duxford Air.            -            Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee 16/3/07

CLAF               -            Cambs. Local Access Forum Meetings & Activities

CPRE               -            Fieldwork magazine

SCC&D            -            South Cambs. Crime & Disorder Reduction Partnership Newsletter

EofEPlan            -            Go-East Response form

Hinxton PC            -            Open Meeting re. Hexcel, Duxford

Residents            -            Allotment Provision

Thriplow            -            39th Thriplow Daffodil Weekend

Clerks               -            Clerks & Councils Direct magazine

DTI                  -            Acknowledgement re. Response on document on the Post Office network

Sutcliffe            -            Sutcliffe Play – leaflet

IVH                 -            Village Hall Car Park

IVH                 -            Hire charges from 5 April 2007

CC                   -            Cambs. Constabulary – Sawston Neighbourhood Newsletter

BAA Stansted            -            Road and rail proposals for Stansted Generation 2

Cope                -            Newsletter

Stop Stansted            -            Updates

D Lilley            -            Withdrawal of Sunday Bus Service to Ickleton

T J Stone            -            Duxford Airfield Conservation Area

Correspondence sent:

CCC                 -            East of England Plan

CCC                 -            Public Footpath 11

IVH                 -            Village Hall Car Park

SCDC              -            S Carter – Mutual Exchanges and s106 Restrictions

C Frankau            -            Quotations for Wooden and Steel Gates

L Duke             -            Grange Road

Mr&MrsOwen            -            Sycamore Tree, Mill Lane verge

M J Gale            -            Wooden Bar Gates

JC Frost            -            18 Abbey Street

H Peasgood            -            Ickleton Cemetery – Guidelines/Table of Fees

HJ Paintin            -            Ickleton Cemetery – Guidelines/Table of Fees

R Skeates            -            Ickleton Cemetery – Guidelines/Table of Fees

 

041/07            Planning application(s):

S/2431/06/F – Garage/Workshop/Store with Annexe Over – 33 Frogge Street – Ms P Fearn – Replacement of dormer windows with roof lights to rear elevation of building.  Amended – information only.

 

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC

S/2291/06/LB – Installation of partitions in Annexe to create ground floor ensuite & Corridor & first Floor ensuite – 22 Abbey Street – M Tomlinson & S Siwicka

S/2431/06/F – Garage/Workshop/Store with Annexe Over – 33 Frogge Street – Ms P Fearn

 

An update on Ickleton Riverside Barns will be requested from SCDC for next month’s meeting.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

042/07            Reports from Councillors:

Jane Hurst reported that there are lots of rabbits again in the Cemetery/Railway Line.              Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler reported that he had attended the M11 Group following up on the M11 noise.  The group agreed to write to the Highways Agency regarding the timetable for re-surfacing between J9 – J14.  Concerns were raised regarding issues at J11.

Sheila Birch reported that the Football Club had still not cleared away the white plastic pots in the garage.  Tim Pavelin agreed to do this.                                                                                          Action:  TP

James Macdonald reminded everyone about the Annual Parish Meeting on May 23.  The Clerk is currently trying to organise a Speaker for the event.  It was agreed to keep the same formula for the meeting, with Clerk requesting short reports from various organisations.                                        Action:  Clerk

The Chairman also mentioned that the increase in Council Tax for Ickleton compares reasonably well with other villages.

Jocelyn Flitton reported that Lewis Duke and herself attended a meeting of CALC where Inspector Paul Ormerod was giving a talk on how Parish Councils could work with policing in their neighbourhood.  The best way to achieve this was attendance at the Sawston Neighbourhood Panel Meetings.

Some residents had mentioned that cars were not giving way correctly in Frogge Street.  The Clerk was asked to check that the signage coming into the village was visible.                          Action:  Clerk

Residents at the end of Mill Lane had experienced their wheelie bins not being emptied, as the vehicle could not get down to them due to cars parking opposite the scaffolding at No. 11.  The Clerk was asked to write to both residents mentioning this issue and also pointing out that emergency vehicles would not be able to get to the end of Mill Lane.                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

                                   

 
 
043/07            Reports from District and County Councillors:

County  -  See Annex 1

Highways Matters - The Parish Council agreed that they would like the option to part fund any improvements.

Duxford Airfield Conservation Area.  The consultation will be circulated amongst the Parish Council and any comments should be sent back as soon as possible to The Clerk as the consultation ends on 10 April.

 

District -  No report received.

 

044/07            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Harts                            -            £59.16                         Receipts:

SCDC                          -            £33.12                         H Peasgood                      -            £70.00

Wrights Mower             -            £241.16

                                                                                   

Due to the end of the financial year on 31 March, it was agreed that the Chairman could approve the Clerk’s salary for 3 months.  The amount (including PAYE) should not exceed £1000.00.

 

Community Account                                    -            £1,397.03

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £11,167.71

 

045/07 Trees:  The Clerk had obtained two quotations (Eastern Tree Surgery and Tree Tops) to cut down the various trees in the Recreation Ground and Churchyard.  It was agreed to accept the Eastern Tree Surgery quotation with the Clerk asking them to drop the price on the 4 Sycamore trees.  C Frankau is to be asked to dismantle the bench surrounding one of the Chestnut trees in the play area, and keep for reinstallation at a later date.  The Clerk will contact the Tree Officer to ask how near the new trees can be planted to the old trees.  A decision of the type of replacement trees and where to be planted will be decided at a later date.                                                                                                              Action:  Clerk                                                  

046/07            Recreation Field and Play Area:

RoSPA report – the next inspection is due in April.

 

Spring animals – The insurance company had now given the go ahead to replace the two spring animal using the lower quotation.  The Clerk will check that the price is still valid and liaise with Mark Stone-Wigg.                                                                                                                  Action: Clerk/M S-W

Football pitch – Crocus Football Club had been in touch regarding the rolling and mowing of the pitch before a game on 25 March.  C Frankau had done the work this week.  He did mention that there was a lot of plastic tape and orange peel on the pitch that he had to clear up first.

 

Timothy Stone left the meeting.

 

047/07            Cemetery – The Guidelines and Table of Fees had been sent to the three local undertakers.

Jane Hurst and Jocelyn Flitton will visit the Cemetery to put up the wooden markers on the pre-purchased plots.                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk/JH

 

048/07            Wellcome Trust:  James Macdonald and Sheila Birch had a good meeting on Tuesday 20 March.  Grassy Lane – CCC had cleared the bridge and they are considering painting it if their budget allows.  Duncan Parsley will ask his contractor to cut back the blackthorn.

Wetlands Group – This has now been revived (Community Conservation Group) with a meeting being held on Monday 2 April @ 6 pm. 

Hexcel – They had appointed their own consultant to make an opinion.  They are also awaiting the Environment Agency report.

Toads – The wire needed to be raised to allow the toads to cross the road.  The lake in the grounds needs relining, which will be done in the autumn. 

 

The next meeting with Wellcome will on Thursday 7 June at 9.00 am.

 

049/07            Adjournment for questions by members of the public: None

 

050/07 Date and time of next meeting: 18 April 2007 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 10.00 pm

 

 

Chairman

 

 

Date

 

 


Annex 1                      County Councillor’s Report                                             21st March 2007

 

 

Duxford Airfield Conservation Area

The District Council has produced an excellent draft policy to create a Conservation Area around the core of the Imperial War Museum.  I bring this to your attention as Chairman of the Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee and have no wish to interfere directly in District Council matters.

Copies of the Draft have been sent only to those parishes directly surrounding the airfield.  That leaves out Fowlmere and Ickleton.  I have therefore "borrowed" a Whittlesford copy for your attention.

While the draft is well worth reading, the consultation period ends on 10th April, so it is essential to act quickly if you are to make a representation.

Both the Imperial War Museum and the owners of the private houses affected are happy with the draft as it stands but the IWM and local residents see that there is here an opportunity to extend the proposed Conservation Area to the east side of the M11.  This would incorporate former airfield land and decrease the possibility of yet more planning applications for Motorway Service Areas and the like.

I shall be making my own representation and you may feel that Ickleton Parish Council and individual Councillors would like to do the same.

 

Post Office closures

Consultation on the government's proposal to close 2500 Post Offices is now closed. There is little likelihood of Ickleton being on the short list of offices to close.  But in general the problem is that there are no clear criteria for closure and postmasters are to be offered unquantified sums of money to surrender their licences.

I have responded to the consultation by objecting to the principle of a post office every three miles because it runs contrary to the East of England Plan, which states in paragraph 4.48 "Careful examination of how a settlement or groups of settlements function is required to determine the best solutions..."

 

Planning Gain Supplement

The government is proposing a system to replace Section 106 Agreements.  It is called Planning Gain Supplement and would be a statutory mechanism to calculate the amount of inherent profit made on a piece of land by virtue of getting planning permission.

While the mechanism would help areas where good use is not being made of Section 106 Agreements, it would be a disaster for Cambridgeshire and South Cambridgeshire, both of which have enviable records for extracting the maximum from developers.

The worst aspect of the proposal is that 30% of the amount raised would be creamed off for the government to distribute as it sees fit.  With the massive developments already on our local plate, the damage would be immense.

This is really old news because consultation ended in February.  But watch this space.

 

Highway matters

The County is in a bit of a pickle about small highway schemes.  The budget for discretionary schemes has been scrapped.  In addition the budget for jointly funded minor highway improvements is no longer in existence because the District Council is in no financial state to fund its part.  The County is not sure whether to allow villages to step in to replace the District.  The argument is that to do so would favour larger villages with larger budgets.  On the other hand if villages really wanted to spend money on improvements then their parish councils could judge if an additional financial burden would be acceptable.

 

So far Thriplow has told me that they would at least like the option to part fund and Hinxton and Fowlmere say no.  Whittlesford is considering the matter.

 

M11

I attended a meeting in Little Shelford at which it was decided to enquire of the Highways Agency as to the schedule for re-surfacing the M11 between Junctions 9 and 14 of the M11.  Because of changes to the East of England Plan there is now no timetable for widening the motorway.                                                                                                                                                                                            Tim Stone