ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL                     

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 April 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  James Macdonald (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Robin Driver, Jane Hurst, Terry Sadler, Tim Pavelin, Peter Wombwell, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk).  Timothy Stone (County Councillor, John Williams (District Councillor), Steve Jenkins (Ickleton Football Club), Gary Phillips and Mick Eldred (Crocus Football Club.  3 members of the public.

 

051/07 Apologies for absence:  Lewis Duke and Mark Stone-Wigg (Previous engagements)

 

052/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2007:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

053/07 Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

The Chairman brought the following item forward from Item 061/07.

 

061/07  Football Clubs – terms for next season.  Both football clubs stated that they had had good seasons and won promotion.  This in turn required a higher standard of pitch.  After discussion it was agreed to ask our Contractor for a programme of maintenance and approximate costs, which will be done following the last football match of the season on May 5th.  The Parish Council agreed that we must break even and review the costs annually on a professional/commercial basis.  The following increases for the 2007/08 season were agreed:

Crocus Football Club increase from £10.50 to £12.00

Ickleton Football Club increase from £5.25 to £6.00

 

The Clerk will write to the Clubs/C Frankau                                                        Action:  Clerk (2)

 

Mention was also made of the litter that is left scattered around the Recreation Ground, the empty paint pots left in the shed and the hooks on the goal posts.

 

The 3 members of the Football Clubs left the meeting.

 

054/07 Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – Brian Stinton (CCC) has reported that he had managed to secure the services of a graduate trainee, who has looked quite closely at the village and has drawn some draft plans.  He hopes to get them to us by the end of the month.                                                                                Action:  Clerk

028/06  Chapel roof.  The roof is currently being repaired.                                               Action:  Clerk

             Village seats – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau                               Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – Sheila Birch and Robin Driver had met Mr Marris of Adams Harrison at the Coploe Pit site.  He has notified us that the pit has not been registered as a village green or common under the CRA 1965.  He has asked for evidence of money spent on the pit over the last 12 years.  Although the pit is mentioned in the minutes, it looks as though everything was done/given voluntary.  The Chairman will speak to Mr Ned Tozer and report back.                                                   Action: JM/SB/RD/Clerk

068/06  ‘Brightening up’ village.  This item to be kept on the Agenda, with the possibility of planting more daffodil bulbs, in the autumn.

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board.  This work is still outstanding with C Frankau            Action:  Clerk

087/06 Tipped soil – Mr R Lafferty-Brennan (CCC) had visited the site in Brookhampton Street and had expressed concerns about the final contours of the field and had asked Mr Rule to arrange for those to be done as soon as possible.  He will check the site again.  He had spoken to Mr Plumb regarding the field in Frogge Street, as it appeared Mr Plumb might need to speak to SCDC.  Although residents had expressed concern, the Parish Council felt at this point there was nothing they could do.

 

154/06 Allotments  The Chairman had nothing further to report.                                       Action:  JM

174/06  Brick pillar on West fence.  Work to be done by C Frankau                                 Action:  Clerk

190/06 Coploe Pit – grazing – Peter Wombwell is arranging to put sheep in the pit in September/October.

                                                                                                                                    Action: PW/SB

008/07 Highways – Brookhampton St & Frogge St  -  Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) had put more planings into the holes and at the moment all was fine.  Highways had looked at Frogge Street and had taken photos and discussed the issues with colleagues in Traffic.  He has advised that we ask the residents at No. 52 to cut back one of their shrubs.                                                                    Action:  Clerk

             Carillion-URS – In the absence of Lewis Duke, there was nothing to further to report. Action:  LD

028/07 Tennis Courts – The Chairman had nothing further to report.                                 Action:  JM

042/07  Mill Lane.  The two residents had been written to.  It was agreed to write again to Mr Wallis asking when the scaffolding would be taken down.                                                                 Action:  Clerk

045/07 Eastern Tree Surgery quotation.  Eastern Tree Surgery had reduced their quotation and will carry out the work shortly.                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

 

055/07 Youth Representation:  None

 

056/07 Correspondence received:

SCDC              -           SCDC – Grounds Maintenance Contract

SCDC              -           Mike Knight – Housing Survey 2007

SCDC              -           Dave Kelleway – Elected Parish Council Representative

SCDC              -           Public Consultations (as at April 2007)

SCDC              -           Protocol for Consultation on Housing Issues

SCDC              -           John Koch – Parish Planning Pack

SCDC              -           Provision of Litter & Dog Bins

CCC                 -           Duxford Airfield proposed Conservation Area (+ response T Stone)

CCC                 -           Brian Stinton – Traffic Survey/Village Parking

CCC                 -           Changes to Local Bus Services

CCC                 -           Cambridgeshire Registration Service

CCC                 -           Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Minerals & Waste Plan

EofE                 -           East of England – Regional Gypsy & Traveller Public Engag.Event

E-Cops             -           Drug Seizures (27 March)

E-Cops             -           Drugs (15 April)

E-Cops             -           English Heritage Project/Bank Accounts

A Marris           -           Adams Harrison – Land Registry – Coploe Pit

A Lansley MP  -           Provision of Affordable Housing (Copy of letter from P Woolas MP)

A Lansley MP  -           Copy of letter sent to Hinxton Parish Council re. Hexcel

RoSPA             -           International Play Safety Conference – 14 June 2007

D Lilley            -           Sunday Bus Service to Ickleton

Audit Com        -           Audit Commission-Appointment of Moore Stephens

Duxford AMIC -           Minutes 16 March of Airfield Management Liaison Committee

CALC              -           Various Course details

P Oldham         -           Save Milton Country Park

CambFA           -           Cambs & Peterborough Fire Authority – Service Improvement Plan

Park Leisure     -           Introducing company – information available

Stop Stansted    -           Public Inquiry News

DSfG                -           Disability Sport Focus Group Newsletter

COPE              -           Newsletter

Glasdon            -           Leaflet on Bins

Mrs F Fowke    -           U3A – use of Recreation Ground 3 July 2007

Comm.& LG     -           Communities & Local Gov. – The Local Authorities Code of Conduct

 

Correspondence sent:

E-Cops             -           Fly Tipping of Tyres

Mr J Harding    -           Car parking in Mill Lane

Mr G Wallis      -           Scaffolding in Mill Lane

Mr E Warren    -           Cemetery Chapel

Mr G Phillips     -           Crocus Football Club – invite to attend meeting 18 April 2007

Mr S Jenkins     -           Ickleton Football Club – invite to attend meeting on 18 April 2007

SCDC              -           Mr R McMurray – update on Ickleton Riverside Barns

EDF Energy      -           Damage to sub-station wall and Post Box – Butcher’s Hill

CCC                 -           Tipped Soil – Brookhampton Street & Frogge Street

           

057/07 Planning application(s):  None

S/0048/07/D – Dwelling – land r/o 9-17 Grange Road.  John Williams (District Councillor) reported that the application had been refused by SCDC.  (See Annex I)

 

SCDC - Update on Ickleton Riverside Barns:  Ray McMurray of SCDC has visited the site and states that a planning decision notice has not been issued yet, pending consideration of possible enforcement action with legal and enforcement officers of the Council about the precise terms of such action, if it is to be taken.  A response will be sent saying we look forward to receiving their decision in due course.                                                                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

Tree Works subject to a tree preservation order or situated within a Conservation area:

C/11/40/054 – Mr T Bristow – Cut down 2 Sycamores behind 17 Brookhampton Street – No Comment.

C/11/40/054 – Mr Owen, 21 Church Street – Weeping Willow – Crown reduce re-growths, shorten long lateral side branches.  No Comment

C/11/40/054- Ickleton Parish Council – Fell 2 Horse Chestnuts in Recreation Ground.  No Comment

C/11/40/054 – Ickleton Parish Council – Various work on trees in Churchyard.  No Comment

 

058/07 Reports from Councillors:

Robin Driver raised concern about Tyre ‘dropping’ on the village verges.  These had been reported to SCDC (who are trying to trace the source) and the Police.

Tim Pavelin asked for an update on the letterbox that had been damaged at the bottom of Butcher’s Hill.  The Clerk is currently monitoring the situation.                                                                 Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler reported that the M11 Group had received notification that the Highways Agency budgetry situation meant that the re-surfacing work had been pushed back a year.  The Group are following this up due a contradiction of information received.                                                             Action:  TS

Sheila Birch had attended the open meeting at Hinxton regarding Hexcel.

Jocelyn Flitton reported that Andy Hoare had recommended that the Churchyard wall be left as it is for the moment.  It is best to tackle the problems as they arise.  The Churchwardens had been notified and were happy with this.  Residents had been concerned about Door-to-Door salesmen who had visited the village that morning, and were walking round to the back of their properties.  The police had responded very quickly to the situation and thanked residents for their quick action.

 

Robin Driver left the meeting.

 

059/07 Reports from District and County Councillors:

District:  See Annex I

County:  See Annex II

 

John Williams (District Councillor) joined the meeting.

 

060/07 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

31 March 2007- JA Flitton - £641.63  /  HM Customs & Revenue – £126.57

Ickleton Village Hall - £36.00 /CALC - £13.50

R Coulson - £85.00 / H Igglesden - £24.08                                             

Receipts:  Football Clubs - £20 / SCDC – Precept £6,500

           

 

Bank Balances:

Community Account                              -           £6,970.25

Business Base Rate Tracker Account    -           £11,263.37

 

Draft Accounts.  These were presented and discussed.  We had spent approximately £3000 more that we had received.  After a few minor amendments, the accounts will be audited.

 

The renewal of our Insurance Policy had been received and is being reviewed by the Chairman.  It was suggested that we increased the value of the Cemetery Chapel to £100,000.                  Action:  JM

 

061/07 Recreation Field and Play Area:

Litter – paint pots/Football Club/Shrubland.  The Football Clubs had been asked to remove the empty paint pots from the shed.  They had also been called regarding the amount of litter that is left around following football matches.  Sheila Birch and the Clerk had noticed garden rubbish was being dumped in shrubland; Ron Coulson had cleared this by having a bonfire.   It was agreed that if this happens again the residents of nearby houses would be written to.                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

Spring Mobiles - an order has now been placed for two Spring Mobiles (Faithful Friend and Scramble Bike), which are due to be installed shortly.                                                                Action:  Clerk

New Trees in Play Area.  Item to be kept on the Agenda for further discussion later in the year. 

Action:  Clerk

SCDC – Provision of Litter & Dog Bins.  No action was needed.           

 

062/07 Cemetery:

Reserved Plot Markers – These had now been put up in the Cemetery.  It was decided to consult one family who had purchased plots near the trees.  They will come back to us with their decision.     Action:  Clerk

Weeds - The Clerk to ask C Frankau for advice on how to tackle the Alexander weed.  It was agreed that we should cut it back to the first row of graves.                                                              Action:  Clerk

Rabbits – The situation had been treated and at the moment there were no signs of activity.  The situation will continue to be monitored.                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

 

063/07  Annual Parish Meeting – 23 May 2007: 

Mick Martin of Imperial War Museum, Duxford has agreed to give a short talk on the Air Space collection in the new hanger.  A resolution was proposed and seconded, and all were in favour, to authorise the Chairman to spend up to £100 on refreshments.                                                  Action:  Chairman

 

064/07 Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

065/07 Date and time of AGM followed by next Parish Council meeting: Wednesday 16 May at 7.30 pm.   

 

The Chairman asked the Parish Clerk to leave the meeting whilst her salary was discussed.

 

The Parish Clerk was invited back into the meeting was told that CALC had not yet produced the new scales of pay.  The Chairman will follow this through and report back to the Parish Clerk in due course.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  JM

 

The Chairman was thanked for all his hard work and effort over the years and was presented with a painting and garden vouchers.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.45 pm.

 

Chairman

 

Date                                       


Annex 1

 

District Councillor’s report – for Ickleton Parish Council 18 April 2007

 

Grange Road – Planning Application.

 

This came to Planning Committee this month as a result of your recommendation to refuse, being contrary to the officers, who recommended approval based mainly on:

 

The planned house being single storey, not overbearing or overlooking.

Minimal impact in terms of noise and disturbance. Access acceptable, since this is already acceptable to parking at the back for existing Grange Road properties.

Fire engine access problem could be overcome by site sprinkler system.

None of this was arguable.

 

Five of the neighbouring residents put forward a long list of objections but none constituted sufficient argument to justify refusal.

 

The main point to object to the application is retention of the linear structure of the village.

 

A similar application had been refused before (for two bungalows) – mainly because it introduced a development behind what is essentially a linear fronting, and was out of character. Also - in this earlier application - that these 2 dwellings would disturb the quiet of the gardens of others.

 

I concentrated on the first argument, and that the situation has not changed.

Ickleton, a jewel among traditional villages, has a linear structure, which should be guarded. This is backland development and out of character.

 

The committee refused the application by 9 votes to 7.

 

It remains to be seen whether the developers appeal.

 

 

Access (cycle/foot) to Great Chesterford station from Ickleton side

 

I have been talking with Great Chesterford Parish Council as run-up to approaching the railway authorities. I will report verbally.

 

 


Annex II                     County Councillor’s Report                                             18th April 2007

 

Highway matters

You should by now have received an information leaflet about Minor Traffic Management Measures.  As I may have told you, I have protested in full Council about the lack of flexibility but to no avail.  Until we can get more money into the system we are stuck.

 

The County regularly gets good reports about the way it spends money and regularly gets criticism every time council tax is raised.  Short of a full-scale revision in the way local government is financed we are likely to remain in this kind of bind.  The report of the Lyons Inquiry into Local Government, which was published last month, proposes lifting of capping and the option to raise money for local authorities through local business rates.  A bit of a damp squib on financing, though the report itself is a good read.

 

Listed Buildings*

English Heritage are compiling a photographic record of all listed buildings in Cambridgeshire. Before taking pictures the photographer will introduce him or herself to house owners and will offer the house owner the opportunity to ring English Heritage to verify bona fides.

 

Hexcel Composites

I attended the meeting held in Hinxton on 11th April along with Sheila Birch.  No doubt she will tell you all about it.  The other parish councils represented were Sawston and Duxford.  There were questions from Ickleton and Duxford residents but only the Sawston parish councillor spoke.  I believe nobody attended from Pampisford and Whittlesford - certainly not parish councillors.

 

Imperial War museum conservation area

I have kept Jos Flitton abreast of the County Council's representations on the proposed conservation area.  I am glad that I persuaded the County to beef up its draft representation so that the final one makes a specific recommendation to include the field to the east of the M11.  The Imperial War Museum is doing the same, so we can now live in hope.

 

County Council resignation

Both the Leader of the County Council, Keith Walters and the Chief Executive, Ian Stewart, have announced that they will be resigning. In the case of the Leader he will remain a councillor but after 10 years he thinks he has led enough.  So now there will be intense activity to replace both.

 

M11

Following from the Highways Agency (Terry Sadler may already have reported this):

“Next financial year, 2007/8 we will carry out some essential preventative maintenance between Junctions 9 & 10 to preserve the condition of the road surface. This will be crack sealing with limited resurfacing of small sections of the carriageways.

Between Junctions 10  & 11 we currently plan to resurface both carriageways in the financial year 2009/10, subject to the availability of funds.”

 

Waste plan

While the new mechanical and biological treatment works on the A10 received council backing the rest of the waste plan is being delayed, principally by considerations around the site for a Household Waste Recycling Centre to the south-west of Cambridge and a replacement site for the Milton Waste Water Treatment Works, which is old technology and the site is required for housing. 1400 responses were received to the original consultation.  The final date for submission has been moved from June 2007 to September 2009 and adoption from February 2009 to December 2010.

 

*  Subsequent to last night's meeting I am trying to get confirmation from English Heritage that property owners are not obliged to have pictures of their properties recorded on the website: www.imagesofengland.org.uk   As their buildings are already recorded as listed they are unable to keep addresses out of the public domain.