ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 July 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  Robin Driver (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Tim Pavelin, Liz Goddard, Jane Hurst, Lewis Duke, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and John Williams (District).

 

082/07            Apologies for absence: Mark Stone-Wigg, Peter Wombwell, Timothy Stone (Prior engagements)

 

083/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 20 June 2007: The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

084/07            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

085/07            Matters Arising:

277/05  Village parking – Terry Sadler will shortly be e-mailing the working party.  He asked for two volunteers to walk the area with him; Tim Pavelin and Liz Goddard agreed to do this.                                                                                                                       Action:  TS

028/06   Village seats – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau.                Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry – Coploe pit – An e-mail had been received from Mr Marris (Adams Harrison) apologising for the delay in the outstanding work.  He made the follow comments:

068/06            ‘Brightening up’ village – Planting of bulbs in the autumn to be done.    Action:  JH

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board – C Frankau reported that half the work had been done.

                                                                                                                     Action:  Clerk

154/06   Allotments – James Macdonald had been in touch again regarding the land, but reported no decision had yet been taken.  He recommended that we should wait until the end of the year.  The Parish Council agreed with this.                                                       Action:  RD

190/06  Coploe Pit – grazing – The sheep were due to go into the pit in September.

     Action:  PW/SB

008/07  Flooding (Carillion-URS) – Lewis Duke said there was nothing meaningful to report on this situation for the moment.                                                                                Action:  LD

028/07  Tennis Courts – see item 154/06 Allotments.                                         Action:  RD

045/07  Eastern Tree Surgery – Village Green & Churchyard – Eastern Tree will contact the Chairman regarding the outstanding work.                                          Action: RD/Clerk

058/07  Post Box-Butcher’s Hill – John Seager did not wish to have the post box on his green.  The Clerk had contacted Royal Mail and Mr Seager asking the two parties to liaise.  The Clerk was asked to contact Royal Mail saying that the site was an eyesore in a Conservation Area and would like to see a new post box as soon as possible.                                 Action: Clerk

073/07  Gypsy Corner – The planting of a hedge will take place in the autumn.Action:LD/TS

089/07  Butcher’s Hill –overhanging branches – these had now been removed.

Neighbourhood Watch – Keith & Tracy Head thanked us for our concern and any offer help which was, at the moment,  not needed.

Boundary Wall – This was in order.

 

086/07 Youth Representation: None

 

087/07            Correspondence received:

CCC                -            Business Plan, Volume 1 – Corporate Plan 2007-2008

CCC                -            Cambs. Design Guide for streets and the public realm

CCC                -            Highways – Copy of letter sent to Dr S Moss, Abbey St.

CCC                -            Trading Standards  ‘Inside Trade’ magazine

CCC                -            S/00908/07/CW – acknowledgement of letter

CCC                -            Cllr T Stone – S/00908/07/CW

Moore             -            Moore Stephens – Annual Audit

D & C Plumb            -            S/00908/07/CW (Acknowledge letter)

SCDC              -            Security Alerts

SCDC              -            Villages in South Cambs District – Services & Amenities

SCDC              -            Summer Academy 2007

SCDC              -            Public Speaking at Planning Committee Meetings

IWM                -            Duxford Airfield Man. Liaison Committee

Enertrag            -            Proposed Wind Farm at Linton (Next Agenda)

CC                   -            Cambs. Constabulary – Recent Terrorist incidents

BAGO             -            Catalogue

NALC             -            LCR magazine

COPE              -            Newsletter

CPRE              -            Cambs Voice magazine/Raffle tickets

CALC              -             The Bulletin/Literature/Farewell from Keith Barrand CE

EEAPTC            -            Newsletter

SSE                 -            Public Inquiry progress

CCD                -            Clerks & Councils Direct

HA                   -            Highways Agency leaflets (in shop/village hall)

Parkers                        -            Dutch bulbs catalogue

HM R&C            -            Annual Return 2006/07

M Lilley            -            Church Fete

L Bateman            -            Hire of Village Hall

Correspondence sent:

CCC                -            S/00908/07/CW – 130 Frogge Street

ETS                 -            Eastern Tree Surgery – o/s work

J Seager            -            Butcher’s Hill Post Box

HM R&C            -            Annual Return 2006/07

 

John Williams joined the meeting

 

088/07            Planning applications received from SCDC:

S/1703/06/HSC & S/1749/06/O – Storage of Acrylonitrile & Construction of a Carbon Fibre

Precursor Plant – Land off Ickleton Road, Duxford – Hexcel Composites Ltd. – Approve.

Much discussion was had on this application.  The following points were made against the application:

The Parish Council were concerned that the H & S Executive does not seem to have assessed the proximity of the Gas Station to the application site.

 

The Chairman summarised the views given by the Councillors and a vote was taken.  Tim Pavelin, Liz Goddard and Jane Hurst were against, Lewis Duke, Terry Sadler, Sheila Birch and Robin Driver were in favour.  The decision was therefore carried in favour of the planning application by four votes to three.    

 

S/1111/07/LB – Internal & External Alterations - 16 Abbey Street Mr & Mrs SR Heaney - Approve

S/1112/07/F – Extension – 16 Abbey Street - Mr & Mrs SR Heaney (2) - Approve

 

S/1108/07/F – Extension – 64 Abbey Street – Mr D Vickers - Approve

Terry Sadler declared a non-prejudicial interest. 

 

S/1211/07/LB – Internal & External alterations & Conversion of Offices to 3 Bedroomed dwelling –18 Abbey Street – Dalesville Holdings Ltd. plus amended site plan - Refuse

S/1212/07/F –  Change of Use from Office to Residential - 18 Abbey Street – Dalesville Holdings plus revised plans (site edged red amended to include entire application site) - Refuse

Tim Pavelin declared a non-prejudicial interest and declined to comment on this application.

The Parish Council does not object in principle to the change of use but made the following points:

·         The plans for the front of the building, especially the metal railings, are out of keeping for the village.

·         Parking has only been allowed for one vehicle to park off-street.  This particular part of Abbey Street is already congested.

Action: Clerk (4)

Planning applications refused by SCDC:

S/0794/07/F – Installation of an Awning – Ickleton Lion, 9 Abbey Street – Greene King

S/0749/07/F – Extension & Replacement Garage/Workshop – 7 Church Street – Mr & Mrs S Cheney

S/0929/07/LB – Fabric Awning – Ickleton Lion, 9 Abbey Street – Greene King

S/0896/07/LB – Alterations – 5/7 Church Street – Mr & Mrs S Cheney

 

The Parish Council is concerned that it would appear any alterations to a listed building will not meet with approval from the SCDC and have therefore asked John Williams if he could arrange for a meeting with the new Conservation Officer.                        Action:  JW

 

Ickleton Riverside Barns - update by Cllr John Williams – see Appendix I

 

089/07            Reports from Councillors:

Robin Driver:  There is a hedge at the back of the cremation plots in the Churchyard that backs onto Doris Page’s property.  The Parish Council has maintained this hedge, in the past.  The hedge is now very tall and a dead tree is being kept up by ivy.  Sheila Birch will contact Simon Casement (PCC) to meet with Robin Driver on site.  Ron Coulson will be asked to submit an estimate.                                                                                               Action: SB

Tony Court has suggested that Butcher’s Hill should be made one way.  The Parish Council discussed this matter, which has come up many times before.  As a first step, it was agreed that the Clerk would write to the relevant coach companies to remind their drivers to be very careful when driving through the village.                                              Action:  Clerk

Liz Goddard:  She had had a meeting with Andrew Shepperd regarding the village website and they would be advertising in the Icene for help to run this site.                Action:  LG

She had received a complaint regarding the overhanging tree outside Gurney House.  Also that brambles are overhanging the pathway next to No. 64 Abbey Street.          Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler:  Rectory Farm construction – due to the number of lorries passing through the village, a timescale would be useful.  Lewis Duke reported that major works should be done by the end of the year, with the handover date due April 2008.

Liverpool Street Station is due to be closed for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period.

Sheila Birch:  Correspondence had now been received from Kevin Green who replaces John Sargeant at CCC.  CCC has said it still intends to elongate the bridge at the end of Tin Alley and replace the 4 kissing gates to make them more suitable for the less mobile.

Wellcome Trust – were there any items anyone wished to go on the Agenda for the next meeting.  The painting of the footbridge (which had been done) and the footpath had been cut back.  There was concern expressed that there appears to be a rabbit problem near the level crossing gates at Hinxton.                                                                                Action:  SB

Jocelyn Flitton: Nominations could be sent to CPALC office before 31 December 2007 for a member to attend a garden party at Buckingham Palace.  It was agreed to contact James Macdonald to ask if he would like to attend as he appeared to fit the 3 criteria required.  

                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

090/07            Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor            -            see Appendix I

County Councillor            -            see Appendix II

 

091/07            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to: 

Harts    £65.42      Ickleton Village Hall      £48.00            Moore Stephens      £158.63           

JA Flitton            £621.51      HM Revenue & Customs      £128.56

 

Bank Balances:

Community Account:  £674.82                  Business Base Rate Tracker Account:  £12, 850.17

 

Parish Clerks Salary/Expenses – CALC have stated that the review for local authority workers is still the subject of dispute with the unions and may not be agreed before September.  The Parish Clerk has agreed to be patient and once known,  the increase will be backdated.                                                                                                                          Action: RD/JM

 

Donation – Sizzler Committee.  The Parish Council agreed that a sum up to £350 might be available once the Sizzler Committee has had a response from the Village Hall Committee regarding the charge for hiring the hall.  The Parish Council commented that if this event were to be regular they would expect some fund raising to be done by the Sizzler Committee before any other application for grant aid was received.  Liz Goddard will inform the Sizzler Committee.  Robin Driver and Liz Goddard declared a non-prejudicial interest.            Action: LG

 

Moore Stephens had closed the audit for year ending 31 March 2007 subject to a technicality.

 

Barclays Bank – Change of signatories forms: These completed forms have now been returned to the bank.

 

092/07            Recreation Field and Play Area:
New Trees – A spreadsheet of suggested trees had been circulated.  It was agreed on a Sweet Chestnut and a mature Oak tree and prices were to be obtained by the Clerk.  It was suggested that Sheila Birch would approach Wellcome Trust, and ask where they purchase their trees.  The Clerk was asked to make an enquiry about Horse Chestnuts to see if there any are resistant to the canker virus.  The ‘Mums’ had offered to fund a mature tree.              Action: SB/Clerk

 

RoSPA Report – Mark Stone-Wigg had met with C Frankau to discuss repairs and had sent an e-mail outlining other items:

 

093/07            Cemetery – Headstones and Memorials – Maintenance Programme

Allianz had  written to say that the Burial Ground should be subject to a regular inspection and maintenance programme, which should be logged and recorded.  It was agreed that this should be done twice a year.  Jane Hurst will carry this out with the help of Liz Goddard and Tim Pavelin.                                                                                          Action: JH/TP/LG

 

094/07 Code of Conduct:

Draft rules with regard to the public having the opportunity to speak at meeting had been circulated and were agreed at the meeting.

 

Return Member of Interest forms to SCDC:  The Clerk was still waiting for two forms to be completed and returned before she could send them all to SCDC.        Action: RD/PW/Clerk

 

095/07 Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting:

Lewis Duke had attended the last meeting.  He reported that there were problems in Sawston and Duxford, where the use of small motorbikes was mentioned and there is a problem  of speeding across the whole sector. Lewis Duke suggested that the Councillors should let him know of any specific requests that should be raised at the next meeting – date of meeting to be notified.                                                                                                Action: LD/Clerk

 

096/07 Back Lane:

Sheila Birch requested that we should ascertain the ownership of Back Lane.  The Clerk had raised this issue with CALC and the District and County Councillors.  The correspondence is being circulated.  The Parish Council cannot comment unless a planning application has been lodged.  Sheila Birch declared a non-prejudicial interest in this matter. 

 

097/07  Village Leaflet:

Sheila Birch and Jocelyn Flitton are in the process of updating this leaflet.  The Parish Council agreed that up to £100 could be spent on printing the final version for distribution around the village.                                                                          Action:  SB/Clerk

 

098/07            Adjournment for questions by members of the public: None

 

099/07 Date and time of next meeting            : 15 August 2007 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.00 pm.

 

 

Chairman:

 

Date:

 

 

 


Appendix I                   District Councillor’s report                                                 July 2007

 

1.         SCDC Planning Committee new procedure

 

Opportunity to Speak at the Planning Committee meeting

 

The introduction of the new procedure was reported last month, and it will start at the next Planning Committee on Wednesday 1 August.

 

            Essential details:

 

            Public speaking is being widened as follows:

 

As before a planning officer will introduce the item. Members of the public will then, if they   wish, be able to speak in the following order for 3 minutes each, and each presentation may be followed by questions to them from the Chairman and other committee members.

 

                        An objector

 

                        Applicant or agent or supporter

 

                        Parish Council Chairman or representative (as before)

 

                        Local District Councillor  - not otherwise on the Committee (as before)

 

To be eligible to speak, an objector or supporter (other than the applicant, agent or local Member) must have already made a written representation on the application.

 

Where there are several objectors (or supporters), one person may speak – as the spokesman for others. The name and contact details of the first person to call as an objector/supporter will be noted and any subsequent callers will be given those details (as appropriate) to enable them to organise how their case will be presented, and by whom.

 

To speak at the meeting, interest must be registered no later than 12.00pm on the Monday             before the meeting, and can be done by contacting the Democratic Services officer on 01954             713028, E-mail ian.senior@scambs.gov.uk. The agenda is available online at             www.scambs.gov.uk/meetings a week before the meeting. 

 

2.            Ickleton Riverside Barns

 

The application for this is scheduled for the 1st August Planning Committee meeting, and the procedure outlined above will apply.

 

           

 


Appendix II          County Councillor’s Report                                             July 2007

 

130 Frogge Street Planning application S/00908/07/CW

I  have e-mailed your clerk to say that it now seems pretty certain that Planning Application S/00908/07/CW will go to full Development Control committee.

 

That will allow the Parish to make its own representations at the committee meeting.

 

I have subsequently received a copy of a letter from Mr and Mrs Plumb objecting to the parish council's objections.  I have made no change to my own representations but I should be grateful if you could let me know if the parish council has any further comments.

Post Office Closures

The Government’s Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has confirmed that 2,500 Post Offices across the UK are to close by 2009. That equates to the potential closure of 20-30 branches in Cambridgeshire.

 

Over the summer Post Office Limited will undertake local consultation before making restructuring decisions.  These may not be announced for at least a year.

 

The criteria for closure, to the extent there are any, make it very difficult to predict what might happen locally.  It is pretty certain that loss-making Post Offices will be the first to be considered for the axe.  In South Cambridgeshire I think no Post Offices would be protected by the doctrine of one Post Office every three miles because of the density of our village clusters; you take out any one and there is still a Post Office within three miles.

 

A further complication is that there will almost certainly be money available for postmasters and postmistresses who want to get out of the business altogether.  That means, in theory that perfectly viable Post Offices could close.

 

The County has undertaken to take steps to prevent closures of the local Post Office network wherever possible and, given that some closure are almost certainly inevitable, to work with partners to identify and pursue every opportunity to provide an alternative service in communities which lose their traditional Post Office.

 

The County Council has already stepped in to provide alternative Post Office facilities at Bar Hill Library after the village Post Office closed.

 

In future consideration could be given to using County Council buildings around Cambridgeshire for Post Office operations or to improving transport or community travel provision to enable people to reach Post Offices in other villages.

Jointly Funded Minor Highway schemes

Currently South Cambridgeshire District Council is not able to contribute to the Jointly Funded Minor Improvements programme. The County Council has decided to allocate £35,000 (rather than the previous £50,000, matched by SCDC) to enable some schemes in the district to go ahead.  These will be subject to the same priorities as before and therefore very few will see the light of day.

Speed Limit Review

According to government guidance, speed limits on all A and B roads need to be reviewed by 2011. This has started but meanwhile it is highly unlikely that the County will consider changing existing limits unless third parties are prepared to pay.  Papworth parish council has decided to use this route to get speed reductions in the village.

Sawston Neighbourhood Panel

The most interesting thing I discovered at the last Panel meeting on 3rd July was the effort the District Council is putting into engaging the younger members of society in considering what constitutes anti-social behaviour.  A huge majority of 14-year-olds considers that spraying graffiti on the walls of a village hall is not anti-social.

 

Meanwhile I now have numbers of people in each village connected to E-cops. Ickleton has three and, by way of comparison, Duxford has nine.

 

E-cops are, as its name suggests, a web-based communication system, which allows citizens to communicate with the police and receive latest news updates.  It is easy to sign up by going to:   www.cambs.police.uk/signup/ecops

When you sign up you will receive an e-mail confirming that you have joined

E-Cops. From then on you will be sent regular e-mails from your local

Police Officer. You will be able to respond to these e-mails with

information and feedback.

Long Road Closure

Long Road will be closed from 18th July to 2nd September to allow construction of the guided bus way and associated cycle track and footway under the redundant railway bridge.  As a result there are changes in bus routes during that period.

 

The Citi7 towards Cambridge will travel between Trumpington Road and Hills Road by using Brooklands Avenue instead of Long Road.  That means Addenbrooke's Hospital will not be served.  The exception is after 19.15 and all day Sunday when the bus will turn right onto Hills Road at the end of Brooklands Avenue and go to Addenbrooke's before coming back along Hills Road to the station.

 

There are changes as well to the H1 route from Trumpington Park & Ride to Addenbrooke's.  It will go via Shelford, Granham's Lane and Babraham Road.

 

A leaflet detailing all these changes should be available on all buses.  I have a few copies if anyone wants one.

National Bus Pass scheme

The current countywide bus pass scheme is to be replaced with a national one in April next year.  The scheme will mean eligible residents will be able to use their bus pass after 9.30am until the last bus of the day between Monday and Friday and all day at the weekends and bank holidays in any part of England for the first time.

 

As this is a national scheme, the Government have said those who currently have a bus pass will have to apply for a new card ready for when the new system starts in April 2008.

 

To aid this process, Cambridgeshire County Council is assisting the District Councils in the county and Peterborough to help applicants reapply for the passes during the summer and autumn months.  Advertisements and other publicity will be prominently displayed and circulated.

The cost of the new scheme will once again have to be heavily supported by local authorities.  The City of Cambridge is really worried by the impact on their finances and an article from Devon in the Local Government Association's magazine this week shows what a potential financial disaster the scheme is.

M11 and noise

The Highways Agency recently made a presentation to the County on plans for the M11 resulting from the need to improve access to Stansted airport.

I made some fairly strong points about the Cinderella state of our villages.  As a result the County's formal response to the Highways Agency specifically mentions Ickleton and asks for noise mitigation measures irrespective of future widening of the M11 between junctions 9 and 10.

 

I attach a copy of the County's response (to be circulated).