ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 19 September 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present:  Robin Driver (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Peter Wombwell, Lewis Duke, Liz Goddard, Tim Pavelin, Jane Hurst, Terry Sadler, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk), John Williams (District Councillor) and Timothy Stone (County Councillor)

 

116/07            Apologies for absence:  None

 

117/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 15 August 2007:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

118/07            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

119/07            Matters Arising:

 

277/05  Village parking – Terry Sadler had sent an e-mail to the Councillors during the month and will shortly be contacting the working party.                                                                           Action:  TS

028/06   Village seatsThis work is still outstanding with C Frankau                                 Action:  Clerk

053/06 Land Registry inc.Coploe pitNo further correspondence had been received from Mr Marris, especially sending a declaration to Robin Driver to sign.  Concerns were raised about the registration of Coploe Pit and the Clerk was asked to contact Mr Marris.                                     Action: Clerk/RD

068/06            ‘Brightening up’ village – It was proposed and agreed to spend up to £20 on mixed daffodil bulbs.  Tim Pavelin, Jane Hurst and Jocelyn Flitton volunteered to plant these.                        Action:  TP/JH/Clerk

071/06            Cemetery – retaining board – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau            Action:  Clerk

154/06   Allotments – Nothing further to report at the moment.                                               Action:  RD

190/06  Coploe Pit – grazing – Cambridgeshire Conservation Trust volunteers are coming to clear the pit on September 30.  Greenbelt Group of WLT is coming to erect fencing on October 24th.  Peter Wombwell will liaise with WLT with regard to putting sheep in the pit, which may be delayed due to the current Foot and Mouth situation.                                                                                               Action: SB/PW

008/07  Flooding (Carillion-URS) – Nothing to report

028/07  Tennis Courts – Nothing further to report at the moment                                                Action:  RD

058/07  Post Box-Butcher’s Hill – This post box has now been reinstated and is back in use.   The Parish Council wish to thank the residents who wrote to Royal Mail and managed to persuade them to change their minds about removing this post box.  The Clerk will write to Royal Mail thanking them for re-instating the post box.                                                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

073/07  Gypsy Corner – The planting of a hedge is due to take place in the autumn.            Action: LD/TS

089/07  Churchyard – Ron Coulson had completed this work, but had pointed out that the tree in the corner is not in the Churchyard.  Mrs Page has been informed.  The Clerk had spoken again to Andy Hoare about the wall, who felt we should leave well alone for the moment.

Butcher’s Hill (Trees) – Mr Gildersleeve had instructed trees to be cut back and the pathway cleared.  No response has been received from Mr Bristowe.

Website – There had been no response from the village.  The Clerk had volunteered to help.

Action: LG/AS/Clerk

095/07  Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting (8/10/07) – The Clerk will attend this meeting.Action: Clerk 

113/07 Village leaflet – This had now been printed and would be delivered around the village with the October Icene.                                     

 

120/07 Youth Representation:  None

 

121/07            Correspondence received:

SCDC                          -            Homelessness Review – Rough Sleepers

SCDC                          -            Weekly Bulletin 22 August 07

CCC (T Stone)              -            Highways Information evening

CCC                             -            Cambridge Core Traffic Scheme

CCC                             -            Bus Service notifications (copied D Lilley)

CCC                             -            Network Management Structure

John Williams                -            Human Estate*

Royal Mail                    -            Post Box – Butcher’s Hill

Ickleton Sizzlers            -            Summer Sizzler donation

Cambs. Police               -            Better Communication with Neighbourhood Officers

Cambs. Police               -            Remembrance Parades

Cambs. Police               -            Sawston Neighbourhood Newsletter

CALC                          -            Post Office Services

RoSPA                         -            Revised Inspection Report dated 6 April 2007

J Statham                      -            35 Abbey Street

A Lansley MP              -            Planning & Housing in South Cambridgeshire

A Lansley MP              -            Resurfacing M11

Susan Robinson             -            Stop LWF action group

Wellcome Trust             -            Tree Project donation

Play Quest                    -            Aerial Runway

Carillion-URS                -            M11 Junction 9 to Junction 10 Resurfacing

Cambs Acre                 -            Community Action Autumn 2007 magazine/Annual Review

Essex C C                    -            Draft Document Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004

Clerks & Councils            -            Clerks & Councils Direct magazine September 2007

CPRE                           -            Fieldwork

Vaughtons                    -            Society of Local Council Clerks in Partnership with Vaughtons

Glasdon                        -            Catalogues

Vitalise                         -            Christmas appeal

NHS                             -            Cambridgeshire & Peterborough – Mental Health literature

Planning Consult.            -            Acknowledgement to consultation on Planning White Paper

CDRP                          -            Community Safety Strategy Annual Review 2006/07

Young Lives                 -            Youth at the Table Training

Barclays Bank              -            Change of Mandate/Interest Rates

Queesnsbury                 -            Queensbury Shelters literature

LCR                             -            Magazine September 2007

COPE                          -            Newsletter No. 37

Open University            -            Leaflet (put on noticeboard)

LCU                             -            Local Councils Update

English Arts                  -            English Arts Chorale – 6 October 2007

Correspondence sent:

J Williams                     -            Human Estate*

Royal Mail                    -            Post Box Butcher’s Hill

G Woolhouse                -            Village Hall security

R Coulson                     -            Churchyard – acceptance of quotation and maintenance

S Casement                  -            Churchyard

T A Bristowe                -            Trees overhanging Butcher’s Hill

J Gildersleeve                -            Trees overhanging Butcher’s Hill and footpath

Mrs Stone-Wigg    -            Summer Sizzler 1 September 2007

P J Warren                   -            Play Bark – confirmation of order

 

*  The Chairman summed up the situation that had occurred.  Cllr John Williams expressed his views.  The Parish Council agreed that the Chairman would speak with James Macdonald.  All parties agreed that we should now move on.

 

 

 

 

 

122/07            Planning applications received from SCDC:

 

S/1562/07/LB – Alterations to Mill Lane Boundary Wall to create access with pair of Boarded Timber Gates – Norman Hall, Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen – Refuse.

S/1563/07/F – Access Gates and Tennis Court Fencing – Norman Hall, Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen – Refuse

The Parish Council has no objections to the Tennis Court being built.  They do however object to permanent gates/access in Mill Lane.  They agree with a letter from David Grech (SCDC) dated 8/3/07 to Mr B Christian that states the existing short stretch of blockwork wall facing Mill Lane would be removed to allow temporary access for the construction of the tennis court and for it to be replaced with traditional flint walling.                                                                                                 Action: Clerk

Tree Preservation Order or situated within a Conservation Area:

C/11/40/054 – Walnut Tree - remove 2 lower limbs which touch house and 25/30% reduction on the crown to maintain shape – 10 Butchers Hill – Mr K Worthing – No objections

C/11/40/54 – Horse Chestnut Tree (Dying) – Fell to ground level – Caldrees Manor – Mr & Mrs J Gildersleeve – No objections                                                                            Action:  Clerk

Planning application granted by SCDC:

S/1111/07/LB – Internal & External alterations including reinstatement of Sash window on rear elevation, changes of kitchen – removal of modern ceiling, enlargement and replacement of window, installation of new door and 3 roof lights.  Construct weather boarded and pantiled Breakfast room – 16 Abbey Street – Mr & Mrs SR Heaney.

 

Ickleton Riverside Barns - update by Cllr John Williams:  See Appendix I

 

123/07            Reports from Councillors:

Tim Pavelin:  He felt that the Parish Council should retain an interest in the renovation works that are being proposed for the Gertrude Homes in Frogge Street.  The Clerk mentioned that an Open morning is being held on Saturday 13 October between 10.00 and 12 noon for villagers to see the homes prior to their renovation.

Terry Sadler: He had been in correspondence with the Highways Agency and Andrew Lansley MP regarding the resurfacing of the M11.  This would be circulated in the Correspondence file.

Sheila Birch: Cambridgeshire County Council (Footpaths) will be replacing the Tin Alley footbridge during week beginning 8 October.

An update on the Village Hall security was asked for and given by the Clerk.

Mark Stone-Wigg – He had noticed a branch had fallen off the horse chestnut tree in the Recreation Ground.  The Clerk had already arranged for this to be cleared away and had contacted the Tree Officer to see if would could cut this down (and roots got out) as the disease had got worse since she had inspected it. 

                                                                                                                                    Action: Clerk

He also wanted to say that William Holt had done a good job laying the play bark in the Play Area.

Liz Goddard:  She had been asked if a seat could be erected in Abbey Street near the Chapel. Action: Clerk

Jocelyn Flitton:  David Lilley had contacted her to say he had been told that the PCT was ending deliveries of medication to their house (after 50 years) and that they could be collected from the Post Office instead.  The Clerk will find out more information and write a letter and ask what would happen if the Post Office was closed.                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

 

124/07            Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor’s report               -            see Appendix I

County Councillor’s report               -            see Appendix II

 

125/07            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

 

Summer Sizzler - £350.00                      PJ Warren -            £569.88

W Holt                         - £50.00                          CALC      -           £24.00. 

 

Payments received:  Wellcome Trust - £150.00 (Tree Project) & SCDC £6,500.00 – Precept

 

Bank Balances:

 

Community Account             -            £7,815.34            Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -  £12,850.17       

 

126/07            Recreation Field and Play Area:

 

New Trees – Robin Driver, Peter Wombwell, Sheila Birch and Jocelyn Flitton visited William Garfit at his site in Hauxton to look at trees on 18 September 2007.  Three trees were chosen:

 

The selection will be left to Will Garfit and the approximate cost per tree is £100.  A hole size of 4ft circle diameter and 2 ft deep, with the earth at the bottom to be loosened, will be needed for each tree.  Extra costs will be incurred for digger and contractor.

He recommended that the trees should be watered 40 gallons at a time, possibly via a pipe inlay and done fortnightly.  They should be planted late November/December but before Christmas.  Confirmation of this will be sent to the Clerk.                                                                  Action:  RD/PW/SB/Clerk

                       

RoSPA Report – A revised report had been received from RoSPA deleting the signage that had been mentioned.  Play Quest had responded to our query regarding the Aerial Runway by asking us to take out a Maintenance Contract.  Mark Stone-Wigg will liaise with Peter Wombwell regarding this issue.

                                                                                                                        Action:  MS-W/PW

Skate park quotation – a quotation for £141.00 had been received from C Frankau.  The Chairman will speak with Mr Frankau, in view of the outstanding work he already has for the Parish Council, before awarding this quotation.                                                                                        Action:  RD/Clerk
Weeds – C Frankau had not yet sprayed the football pitch with week killer but was hoping to do this next week.  The problem of plantains growing all over the Recreation Ground would be addressed at a later date.

                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

127/07            Cemetery: Nothing to report

 

128/07            Adjournment for questions by members of the public: None

 

129/07 Date and time of next meeting:  17 October 2007 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05 pm.

 

 

Chairman

 

 

Date   


Appendix I              From: John Williams (District Councillor)                              19 September 2007

 

Report to Ickleton Parish Council for September meeting

 

1.            Ickleton Riverside Barns

 

            Nothing to report at the moment.

 

2.         18 Abbey Street – Planning application approved

 

This was referred to the September committee at my requested. Unfortunately it was passed.

 

I supported the Parish Council’s recommendation of refusal, and submitted the paper as per attachment to my report for August.

The agent for the developer claimed that an assumed parking requirement for the existing business use of 6 cars (in the street) was being replaced by a changed use in which parking requirements were much lower. The officers’ recommendation that the single space (in the garage) is adequate failed to take on board that this was not relevant since evening time parking demand in the street is quite different from daytime. Officers also thought that extra parking space could be not accommodated because of turning space. I demonstrated from a magnified plan that it is indeed possible, from parking space in the planned courtyard.

Unfortunately I had to leave the room after my presentation (as local member), and was not present at the debate, nor able to sum up or vote. I had been advised that friendship with a close neighbour (No.20) constituted prejudicial interest.

 

Unlike some other decisions where I find that the arguments are finely balanced, I feel that the parking argument was crucial and that the committee made a bad decision.

 

3.         Bus Scrutiny

 

The District Council’s Scrutiny Committee’s sub-committee on buses has collated a report on bus improvements required by members for their wards. I entered suggestions for revisions of the Citi 7 mainly to bring needed improvements for Duxford residents. In             particular to propose that the routing followed by the 132 on Sundays – which is Sawston–            Duxford–Ickleton-Saffron Walden - is adopted on weekdays – thus giving Duxford residents a direct bus to Saffron Walden, and linking Duxford with Ickleton on a regular basis.             This would not affect journey time for Ickleton residents to Sawston (and on to Cambridge), but anyway it could possibly alternate with the present routing via Hinxton.…….

 

Any input and comment welcome.

 

4.                  Affordable Housing/Human Estate etc,

 

We can discuss verbally at the meeting, I guess.

 


Appendix II            County Councillor’s Report                                        September 2007

 

Imperial War Museum Conservation Area

The District Council has rejected most of the recommendations of people and institutions (including the County Council) who commented on their proposal to create a Conservation Area around a large part of the museum and adjacent areas.  The consultees were not informed of the District Council's conclusions.  I have spoken to South Cambs Conservation Officer and have been to see the Director of the IWM Duxford.  The latest position is that the boundaries of the Conservation Area are now fixed, without the land to the East of the M11.  However the background document is still unsatisfactory and Richard Ashton will be going to talk to the District Council to try and loosen some of the unhelpful prescriptions in the document before it is submitted to the District Council's Cabinet and effectively sets the rules for development within the airfield.

I have also been busy with the parade ground issue.  The IWM is to submit an amended proposal for the storage of cars limited to two years. Indications are that the officers are likely to recommend approval.

 

Minor Highway Improvements

The County is reinstating this programme, although the District Council is unable to participate.  Previously approved schemes are being completed but for next financial year the scheme will start again from zero.  It is hoped that as much as £50,000 will be committed to this across the District.

The County is now set to accept bids for schemes costing up to £15,000 each for the year 2008/09.  But until the budget for 2008/09 is agreed there is no advantage in bidding just yet.  The Parish participation will be, as in the past, £1 per head of population.

It is stressed that the County is looking for problems which can be solved using this programme and not just for ways of using the money.

 

Police

You may have noted that we have a new Police Community Support Office in the Sawston Neighbourhood.  He is Chris Wiseman.  We now have one PC, Iain Perry and two PCSO, Chris Pulley and Chris Wiseman for Sawston, Duxford, Ickleton, Thriplow and Whittlesford.

 

Highways information evening

I have been complaining for years that we are getting too little information about highways matters, which affect us all.  The County has now responded with the proposal to hold information evenings rather like the Police ones.

The first meeting in the Duxford County Division is to be held on Tuesday 2nd October at 7.30 p.m. in Whittlesford Memorial Hall.

The County is to be represented by at least Richard Preston, Head of Network Management, South and City and Mike Cooper, our Highways Supervisor.  Mick Oakman, Area Manager, Maintenance, South and City should also be there.

The event has proved to be very popular and the number of people attending is likely to be too great to fit them all into the Whittlesford depot, hence the move to Whittlesford Memorial Hall.

 

Congestion Charging

You will have seen discussion in the press about the potential for Congestion Charging in Cambridge.  This forms part of a strategy to unlock up to £500million in government Transport Innovation Fund money.  The council had previously set its face against access control to Cambridge but is now looking seriously at some kind of scheme because the rules of TIF funding make it mandatory.

As yet it is far too early to comment on what might happen and what will be the form of the County's bid.  In fact we are finding it very difficult to discover what sort of options are being suggested, which is particularly frustrating in an initiative of this importance.  Whatever the outcome it is essential that greatly improved public transport should be put in place before any scheme comes into force so that people prefer top take public transport rather than their own cars.

 

There is already manoeuvring around how to spend the income from the congestion charge.  Many County Councillors would love to have spare cash to spend in their Divisions.  But, having given some thought to the issue, I believe that the congestion charge should be set no higher than is necessary to change people's travelling habits. If there is a surplus then that should be spent primarily on improving transport links in and around Cambridge.  There should be no question of congestion charging being seen as a stealth tax.

 

M11 resurfacing

I was surprised and delighted to learn that resurfacing work is to begin on the M11 between junctions 9 and 10 on Monday 24th September with an end date estimated as 19th November.  This was scheduled for next financial year at the very earliest.

The reason for the change of schedule is that a major scheme on the A1 at Eaton Socon has been delayed, so the M11 took its place.

I have spoken to the Highways Agency, who assure me that the surface dressing will, as promised, be a low-noise one.  There is no prospect at present of any resurfacing between Junctions 10 and 11.

While carriageways are closed at night, traffic is to be diverted between the two junctions using the A1301 and A505.