ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 17 October 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present: Robin Driver (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Lewis Duke, Tim Pavelin, Jane Hurst, Mark Stone-Wigg, Liz Goddard, Terry Sadler, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and John Williams (District Councillor)

 

130/07 Apologies for absence: Timothy Stone (County Councillor), Peter Wombwell

 

131/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 September 2007:  The minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

132/07 Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

133/07 Matters Arising:

 

277/05  Village parking – Terry Sadler had nothing to report.                                           Action:  TS

028/06  Village seats – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau                        Action: RD/Clerk

053/06  Land Registry inc.Coploe pit – The Chairman has spoken to Mr Marris who said ‘it would be sorted by next month’.  The Clerk to write a letter confirming the conversation and to state we were disappointed the declaration had not yet been sent to Mr Driver to sign.                  Action:  RD/Clerk

068/06  ‘Brightening up’ village – planting of bulbs – Jane Hurst (with the help of family and friends) had planted some daffodil bulbs in Frogge Street and part of Butchers Hill.

071/06  Cemetery – retaining board -  This work is still outstanding with C Frankau.  Action:  RD/Clerk

154/06  Allotments – Nothing further to report at the moment                                           Action:  RD

190/06 Coploe Pit – grazing – Cambridgeshire Conservation Trust has cleared the pit and the fence is due to be erected on October 24.  Peter Wombwell will liaise with relevant groups regarding the movement of sheep into the pit.                                                                                                      Action:  PW/SB

008/07 Flooding (Carillion-URS) – Nothing to report

028/07  Tennis Courts – Nothing further to report at the moment                                      Action:  RD

073/07  Gypsy Corner – The planting of a hedge is due to take place in the near future.     Action: LD/TS

089/07  Churchyard – The Clerk will ask Ron Coulson to meet with Sheila Birch and herself, as further clearing up is needed.                                                                                             Action: SB/Clerk

123/07  Seat outside Methodist Chapel – The Clerk has spoken to Cecil Vincent who felt there would be no objection.  The Clerk will contact the Minister to confirm this.                                        Action:  Clerk

Medication Deliveries – Sawston Health Centre had changed the collection point, in order for them to comply with national guidelines.  Although the Parish Council had not been involved in any way with the decision and the way it was handled, it was agreed that a gift should be made to the Lilley family in recognition of the service they had provided, for many years, to the village.                     Action:  Clerk

 

134/07 Youth Representation: None

 

135/07 Correspondence received:

 

SCDC                          -           Various e-mails (forwarded to Parish Councillors)

SCDC                          -           Housing futures

CCC (Highways)          -           Copy of letter to Dr S Moss, Old Mill, Abbey Street

CCC                             -           County Plan for Older People

Ickleton Utd Charities    -           Gertrude Homes (November Agenda)

A Lansley CBE MP      -           Copies of letters re. Hexcel Composites Ltd.

Eastern Tree Surgery    -           Quotation – removal of tree Recreation Ground

Carillion-URS                -           Communications team

Victim Support              -           Appeal for donation (November Agenda)

Stop Stansted Exp.        -           Appeal for donation (November Agenda

Stop Stansted Exp.        -           Public Inquiry moves towards a close

Herald Contract                        -           Request to quote for Grass cutting next season

William Garfit Trees      -           Quotation for 3 trees

A Graham-Cameron      -           Quotation for transport and planting

HMRevenue                 -           Employer Bulletin

Hunts Youth Bank         -           Funding Day 26 October 2007

LDF                             -           Cambridge East Area Action Plan

D Edwards                   -           Ickleton Cemetery

Defra                           -           Ways to tackle climate change

PT Pinner & Son           -           Nursery prices for tree, hedging.

Neighbourhood Panel     -           Dates for next meetings

Furniture Int. Ltd.          -           Street Furniture Solutions

SBE                             -           Town and Parish Standard

Highways Agency         -           Leaflet for road journeys Sept – Nov 2007

DCSF                           -           We’re listening brochure

Correspondence sent:

Mr A Marris                 -           Coploe Pit

Chris Burns                   -           Communication with Neighbourhood Police Officers

Sawston Health Centre  -           Delivery/Collection point of medication to Ickleton

Mr P Jeffrey                 -           Royal Mail – Butchers Hill post box

Eastern Tree Surgery    -           Request for quotation

Mr M Hall                    -           Poppy Wreath – Remembrance Sunday 11 November 2007

 

136/07 Planning applications received from SCDC:

S/1781/07/F – Wall (retrospective application) – 10 Butchers Hill – KD & A Worthing – No Recommendation.

S/1852/07/LB – Alterations-refurbishment of cottage and conversion of coach house, stable, tackroom to residential use – 53 Abbey Street – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd. - Refuse

S/1914/07/F – Replacement gate, vehicular access & trellis in garden – 53 Abbey Street – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd. – Refuse.

The Parish Council felt that the plans for conversion of this property to a four bed roomed house, had shown inadequate parking facilities on a street where there is already existing parking problems.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

 

Planning application granted by SCDC:

S/1212/07/F – 18 Abbey Street – Change of Use from Office to Residential – Dalesville Holdings Ltd.

 

Planning application refused by SCDC:

S/1458/07/LB    –          26 Abbey Street – Mr and Mrs Olds

S/1459/07/F       –          26 Abbey Street – Mr and Mrs Olds

S/1562/07/LB    –          Norman Hall, 21 Church Street  - Mr and Mrs J Owen

S/1563/07/F       –          Norman Hall, 21 Church Street –– Mr and Mrs J Owen

 

Tree Preservation Order or situated within a Conservation Area:

C/11/40/54 – Walnut Tree – Heavy crown reduction or fell – 4 Butchers Hill – Mrs M Garrett – No objections.                                                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

 

137/07 Reports from Councillors:

Terry Sadler confirmed that the M11 is being resurfaced between Junctions 9 and 10.  He will e-mail Andrew Lansley CBE MP thanking him for his support                                                           Action:  TS

Sheila Birch reported a pothole (in the middle of the road) in Frogge Street just past the 30 mph sign.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

The trees either side of the alley way which runs between Back Way and Abbey Street were overgrown and blocking the light from the lamps, which are coming on at the wrong time.  The Clerk was asked to write to both owners requesting that the trees are cut back.                                                         Action:  Clerk

The Clerk was asked to write to No. 7 Back Lane requesting that the dead remains of trees, which had been cut down, were removed.                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

Wellcome Trust – another meeting should be arranged for November.  Amongst items to be raised is the relining of the lake, the noise from A11/M11 link/ Gertrude Homes.                        Action:  Clerk/SB/TS

Mark Stone-Wigg reported that the narrow part of Hinxton Road is getting wider which is resulting in cars not giving way to each other.  The Clerk will notify Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) of this.  Action:  Clerk

 

138/07 Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor – see Appendix I

 

County Councillor  - see Appendix II

 

139/07 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

 

Ickleton Village Hall - £36.00                 Ryecroft Data - £85.00              R Coulson - £120.00

Harts - £77.08                                       J A Flitton - £552.52                  HM Revenue - £103.15

 

Bank Balances:

 

Community Account                              £  2,814.46

Business Base Rate Tracker a/c                        £17,956.75

                                               

Bank Mandate -  Still outstanding.                                                                                Action:  RD

 

Clerk’s salary review – The Clerk left the room whilst her salary was discussed.                       Action:  RD

 

The Clerk rejoined the meeting

 

140/07 Recreation Field and Play Area:
 
Existing Tree

Eastern Tree Surgery had submitted a quotation to remove the Horse Chestnut Tree, between Village Hall and Play Area, and grind out bole of root for £315.00 + VAT.  It was agreed by all to accept this quotation.                                                                                                                                  Action:  Clerk

New Trees

William Garfit Trees had submitted a quotation for three new trees at a cost of £150.00 each + VAT.  The Clerk will write and accept this quotation, which had been agreed by all.                          Action:  Clerk

Alex Graham-Cameron had submitted quotation for transport (charge based on time basis £55.00 per hour allowing 3-4 hours approx.) and planting of £340.00 per tree plus VAT or planting assuming tree pits dug and machine on site to lift trees of £180.00 per tree.  The Clerk and Chairman will speak to Peter Wombwell regarding the digging of the pits.                                                         Action: RD/Clerk                  

RoSPA Report – Mark Stone-Wigg had nothing further to report.  The situation regarding the aerial runway was still outstanding.  Mark Stone-Wigg will liaise with Peter Wombwell.           Action:  PW/M S-W

 

Skate park quotation -  Acceptance of this quotation was being delayed until the Chairman had spoken to Mr Frankau.                                                                                                              Action:  RD/Clerk

 

Football Pitch – C Frankau had put fertiliser on the pitch.  Tim Pavelin queried whether any more weed killer had been put on pitch.  The Clerk will check with Mr Frankau.                        Action:  Clerk

 

141/07  Highways Information Evening  (2/10/07)

 

Terry Sadler had attended this meeting.  He reported that the main point appeared to be that there are no resources available.

 

Minor Highway Improvement Schemes 2008/09 Bids

 

This issue of Cemetery corner was raised especially when cars met buses. Terry Sadler will speak to Timothy Stone  prior to our considering putting this in our bid, which must be submitted by Monday 26 November.                                                                                                                    Action:  TS

 

142/07 Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting (8/10/07)

 

Jocelyn Flitton attended this meeting and reported that Speeding was an issue that was raised by all villages in the area.  The next meeting at Sawston is on Monday 7 January 2008.

 

143/07  Remembrance Sunday – November 11

 

Jackie Bennett had agreed to play ‘The Last Post’ at this service.  A letter had been written to Mr M Hall ordering one poppy wreath.  The Clerk had also spoken to Mr R Coulson regarding the clearing of leaves before the service.                                                                                                         

 

144/07 Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

145/07 Date and time of next meeting:  21 November 2007 at 7.30 pm.

 

It was agreed that the date for December meeting should be moved forward.  The date of the December meeting will be on 12 December instead of 19 December.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35 pm.

 

 

Chairman

 

 

 

 

 

Date

 

           


Appendix I

 

For Ickleton Parish Council                                                                           16 October 2007

 

Report from John Williams, District Councillor

 

Recycling – Tetra-paks

The new bank for Tetra-pak and other foil and plastic lined paper cartons is up and running at Sawston.

Recycling – Plastics generally

 

The District Council is shortly to consider house-to-house collection of plastic bottles and cartons in general. There is likely to be quite a debate about it. Whilst it may satisfy certain aspects of a green agenda, it is very expensive, and not carbon neutral:

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appendix II

 

County Councillor’s Report                                                                                       October 2007

 

Local Highways matters

First, many thanks to Terry Sadler who turned out to the Highways evening in Whittlesford on 2nd October.  Six of the ten villages in the Duxford Division attended with Fowlmere, Hinxton, Great Abington and Babraham missing.

I thought it was a good meeting.  The County team was six strong, which I believe shows the importance the County is giving to listening to village concerns.

The next key will be to have an effective follow-up to make sure that village concerns have not only been noted but also acted on. I hope this will be early in the New Year.

 

Vision for Cambridgeshire 2007 - 2021

As from next year much of the County's performance will be judged on how well people think services work in their areas, regardless of who provides them.  The County is therefore very keen to get partnership working more effectively.  This will involve dusting off Village Plans and listening to local residents.

We are just starting the consultation on what are our priorities and are trying not to get bogged down in adjectives: do we want to be strong, growing, prosperous and inclusive for example?  I have suggested we cut the cackle and just say we want to manage growth so all our residents can be proud to live here.

The biggest challenge is growth.  Between 2006 and 2021 the population of South Cambridgeshire is expected to grow by 25% and the population of Cambridge by 31%.  There is some debate as to whether we are all just trying to get housing to catch up with the predicted 89,000 new jobs in the county or whether we actually want to encourage more employment at all.

 

Next is the question of whether we want the whole county to be identikit.  I very much believe that there should be very strong local input so that March, Wisbech and St Ives don't necessarily have to share the same aims as Ickleton.

Then there is a nasty bit about migrants causing problems because they don't understand British law and how public services work.  I believe that migrants are good for us and that most of the pressures are caused by Brits moving into the area, not swan-shooting Romanians.  Mind you there may be particular issues with agricultural workers in the Fens.

The whole thing will go out to public consultation in the New Year after the Cabinet has had a go at it.  I just hope that the result will be a proper recipe for a diverse Cambridgeshire and not just a management-speak document to file away in a drawer.

 

Congestion Charge

We now have a draft of the County's submission to government for unlocking some £500 million for Transport Innovation, which has to include a congestion charge.

It is still something of an alphabet porridge with figures.  It is also causing much grumbling.  The idea is supposedly for transport innovation within the whole county but in practice it concentrates on Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire.  That upsets Huntingdonshire and Fenland.

At the same time the City is cross because it wants a massive reduction in charges for city residents, arguing that people coming into Cambridge can use Park & Ride but city residents leaving the city can't do the same thing in reverse.  We are told that if there were a reduction then Cambridge residents would flock to their cars to fill up the gaps left by the rest of us.

To my mind this is a plan, which shows its origin as a not particularly innovative bid for money rather than for any particular aim. It needs sharpening up with some much clearer objectives, a choice of different scenarios and real innovation.  The trouble is that there seems to be no Plan B.

On a local matter, the ever-present problem of gumming up the A505 between Junction 10 and the Sawston roundabout is mentioned in the text but no solution is offered.  I am trying to get a rather more positive text.

The current procedure is for the County to submit the draft package to government fairly quickly.  If approved in principle there will then be a period of consultation while the proposals are refined.  They need to be.

 

Corporate Assessment of the County Council

While the press spin makes things look much better than they are, the facts behind the latest Audit Commission's assessment of the County shows that we have a council that is "only at minimum requirements - adequate performance."  We score two out of a possible four.

 

Some good points, particularly on value for money services - a legacy of a deliberate policy of low increases in Council Tax - and our services for children and young people.

 

Internal briefings highlight a number of areas where the Audit Commission says we have a need to improve.  Amongst others:

 

·         Delivering consistently high quality adult social care services across the county

·         Performance management framework, illustrated by slamming on expenditure brakes to correct overspends rather than managing variances

·         A shared vision for Cambridgeshire. "Partners and stakeholders are not yet consistently engaged in setting realistic and challenging targets."