ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 12 December 2007 at 7.30 pm in Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present: Robin Driver (Chairman), Lewis Duke, Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Tim Pavelin, Jane Hurst, Peter Wombwell, Mark Stone-Wigg and Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk).  Two members of the public.

 

162/07 Apologies for absence:  Liz Goddard, Timothy Stone (County Councillor) and John Williams (District Councillor) – previous engagements.

 

163/07 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November 2007:  Amendment to first sentence of 148/07.  It should read: “The Chairman invited Roger Shaw to speak on the proposed Linton Wind Farm”.  Following this amendment the minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

164/07 Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  A resident raised a query regarding how the Parish Council had dealt with the planning application from Hexcel.

 

165/07 Matters Arising:

 

277/05  Village parking – Terry Sadler had nothing to report.                               Action:  TS

028/06  Village seats – This work is still outstanding with C Frankau                  Action: Clerk

053/06  Land Registry inc.Coploe pit -  Robin Driver and Sheila Birch had completed the documents that Mr Marris had required.  The Clerk was asked to contact Mr Marris for an update.                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

154/06  Allotments – A few positive responses (one negative) had been received regarding the proposed site behind the cemetery.  Simon Cheney is happy to meet with prospective users and will put an article in Icene.  He will then report the outcome back to the Parish Council.                                                                                                      Action:  Clerk

190/06 Coploe Pit – grazing – it was agreed to take this item off the Agenda for this year as there was too much paperwork involved in moving the sheep this year due to restrictions currently in force.

028/07  Tennis Courts – Nothing further to report at the moment.                         Action:  RD

073/07  Gypsy Corner – Mr Duke reported the planting of the hedge was still outstanding and should have been done by now.                                                                           Action:  LD/TS

089/07  Churchyard  - A quotation of £80 had been received from Ron Coulson to clear the undergrowth behind the church near the wooden shed.  It was agreed to accept this quotation.  The Clerk would inform Simon Casement (Church Warden).                            Action:  Clerk

123/07  Seat outside Chapel – After discussion, when a proposal to move the seat from outside Harlequin House was mentioned, it was unanimously agreed by all that the Parish Council would not to pursue the possibility of a seat outside the Chapel.  The Clerk will inform the Minister.                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

137/07 Overgrowing trees – No response had been received from No. 1 Priory Farmyard.  Mr David Human had rung the Clerk to ask more about the situation following the letter to Mrs S Parker.            Terry Sadler reported that some foliage had been removed but was being left in the pathway.  The Clerk was asked to contact Mike Cooper (CCC-Highways) and ask him to report back to us.                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

153/07 No Smoking signs – Two signs had been purchased and put up in the bus shelters.

 

166/07 Youth Representation:  None

 

167/07 Correspondence received:

SCDC                                                                                                                                -      Parish Council Toolkit

SCDC                                                                                                                                -      Housing Futures

SCDC                                                                                                                                -      Chairman’s Delegation Meeting

SCDC                                                                                                                                -      Information on Smoke complaints

CCC                                                                                                                                  -      Parish Path Partnership (P3) Applications for 2008/9

CCC                                                                                                                                  -      Changes to mobile library routes from 7/1/08

CCC                                                                                                                                  -      New Concessionary Bus Far Scheme Poster

CCC                                                                                                                                  -      Big Lottery Fund

CALC                                                                                                                               -      Assembly Meeting 19 January 2008

Highways Agency                                          -                     Helping with your journey leaflet

G Woolhouse                                                                                                                      -      IVH – watering new trees

Duxford Airfield                                             - Liaison Committee Minutes 9 November 2007

Cambs.Local Access                                     -                                             Forum Meetings

A Lansley CBE MP                                       - Copy correspondence to CCC re foot crossing

A Lansley CBE MP                                       -                                    Copy letter re. Hexcel

SLWF                                                                                                                                -      Poster Stop Linton Wind Farm

Barclays                                                                                                                            -      Terms & Conditions leaflet

Uttlesford                                                                                                                           -      Uttlesford Local Development Framework

HM Revenue                                                                                                                     -      Send your employer annual return online

Glasdon                                                                                                                              -      Catalogues/leaflets

Cambs Acre                                                                                                                       -      Community Action Winter 2007 magazine

Shaws                                                                                                                                -      Stationery

Network Rail                                                                                                                      -      Application to modify Definitive Map

Correspondence sent:

Mrs S Parker                                                                                                                     -      Overhanging trees – lane from Back Lane to Abbey St.

1 Priory Farmyard                                          - Overhanging trees – lane from Back Lane to Abbey St.

Mr R Coulson                                                                                                                     -      Watering New Trees

Mr J Statham                                                                                                                     -      Donation to Gertrude Homes Renovation Project

Wildlife Trust                                                                                                                     -      Coploe Pit

 

168/07 Planning applications received from SCDC:

S/2210/07/LB – Alterations existing utility room & w.c. to create enlarged kitchen – 7 Church Street – Mr & Mrs S Cheney - Approve

S/2211/07/F -  Replacement Garage – 7 Church Street – Mr & Mrs S Cheney – Approve

Mr Tim Pavelin declared an interest in the above applications.

S/2213/07/LB – Alterations to Mill Lane boundary wall to create temporary access & subsequent rebuilding of wall to original height in flint – 21 Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen - Approve

S/2214/07/F – Alteration & rebuilding of boundary wall and erection of tennis court fencing – 21 Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen - Approve

S/1914/07/F – Replacement gate, vehicular access & trellis in garden (Amendment – Parking spaces moved 1 metre deeper into site) – 53 Abbey Street, Ickleton – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd. – Refuse.  The Parish Council would still like to see the extra width of 0.5 metre taken into consideration.  A proposal of removing the gates was also made.

                                                                                                            Action: Clerk (5)

S/2273/07/F – Dwelling – Land R/O 9-17 Grange Road – Rowe Build & Development Ltd. – an extension to reply to this application has been give by SCDC until Friday 11 January 2008.  Mr Duke proposed that the Planning Committee should brief Cllr John Williams once they had looked at the plans (and compared them with the previous application).Action: PC/Clerk

 

Planning application granted by SCDC:

S/1852/07/LB – 53 Abbey Street – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd.

S/1981/07/F – 50 Frogge Street – Mr & Mrs N Malone

 

 

169/07 Reports from Councillors:

Terry Sadler reported that he had attended the Stop Linton Wind Farm Meeting, which he said was interesting.

Sheila Birch asked for any update on the proposed lay-bys for Grange Road.  Mr Duke & Mr Wombwell reported that they were in hand and they were waiting to hear from Highways.  Mrs Birch also enquired what the 2 poles in Grange Road were for.  They are apparently marking the lines of the high-pressure gas pipes.  The Clerk was asked to write and ask why they were put into the verges.                                                                    Action:  Clerk

Some flints were falling out of the wall, which belonged to Caldrees Manor, on to the pathway in Butchers Hill.                                                                         Action:  Clerk

A request had been received to put some village photographs in Icene.  The Parish Council agreed but said permission must be sought from the owners beforehand.

Mark Stone-Wigg reported potholes on the Hinxton level crossing.                  Action:  Clerk

Robin Driver mentioned that residents had reported bumps and cracks in Abbey Street.

                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

 

170/07 Reports from District and County Councillors

 

District Councillor          see Appendix I

 

The Parish Council would like a response from Cllr Williams to the item mentioned in Minute 153/07.                                                                                             Action:  John Williams

 

County Councillor          see Appendix II

Footpath 5

The Parish Council does not accept the preface and would still like to know and make the following points:

a)      the total cost involved in replacing the gates

b)      what has happened to the wooden gates?

c)      the access area around the bridge is still muddy

d)      If these new gates were not put in position for wheel-chair users, why were the wooden gates removed in the first place?   They were satisfactory and the less sprightly including those with artificial hips and knees could still have used the gates.

Action: Timothy Stone

 

171/07 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

 

Ickleton United Charities - £2,500.00                  Demeter Design Ltd - £1,004.62           

William Garfit Trees - £528.75                           Harts - £70.74

C Frankau - £1,139.75

 

Bank Balances:

 

Community Account                              -           £   255.65

Business Base Rate Tracker Account    -           £8,956.75

                                               

Bank Mandate (RD)               -           still outstanding

 

Precept discussions – the Finance Committee will discuss this in January.

 

172/07 Recreation Field and Play Area:
 
New Trees
Watering  - Ickleton Village Hall had agreed the Parish Council could use the water from the hall at a nominal cost.
Fences – Demeter Design were still recommending fencing the new trees.  As it was agreed that we should protect the trees, C Frankau will be asked to quote.              Action:  Clerk
RoSPA Report – Aerial runway – a wood-end stop at the village hall end is still required.

                                                                                                                                                                                                       Action: M Stone-Wigg

Skate park quotation – the acceptance is still being withheld for the time being.

                                                                                                          Action:  RD/Clerk

 

173/07  CCC - Foot Crossing across Cambridge/London railway line:

 

Further to Tim Stone’s report and following a site meeting by some landowners, the Chairman outlined the situation to the Councillors, of the proposal to install a new foot crossing over the Cambridge/London railway line between Duxford and Hinxton level crossings.  Neither Ickleton nor Hinxton Parish Council was consulted on this proposal. Lewis Duke produced from Network Rail, an ‘Application to modify the Definitive Map of Public Rights of Way under s.53 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 in respect of Footpath 8 in the parish of Duxford and Footpath 4 in the parish of Hinxton Cambridgeshire’.  A copy of this document would be circulated to the Councillors and a copy sent to Andrew Lansley CBE MP.  The Parish Council raised concerns for safety, with the crossing due to be installed by January 11 2008.                                                                                   Action:  RD/LD

 

174/07  Speeding – Frogge Street:

 

Karen Geddes, a resident in Frogge Street, had requested this item to be put on the Agenda as she was concerned about speeding of vehicles in Frogge Street.  She mentioned that she had raised this issue before.  A speed assessment had been done in 2005 of which she had received a copy.  The Parish Council would look at this document again. 

Essex Police has launched Community Speed Watch, which is in place in Newport.  At the next  Police Neighbourhood Watch Panel, the question will be asked if this is happening in Cambridgeshire.                                                                                    Action: LD/Clerk

A suggestion was made that individuals could write to local companies pointing out the concern residents have of speeding by cars in Frogge Street.           

                         

175/07 Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

176/07 Date and time of next meeting and date for January meeting:  Wednesday 16 January 2008 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.00 pm.

 

 

Chairman:

 

 

Date:  

 


District Councillor Report                                                     December 2007

 

 

S/1914/07/F – Replacement gate, vehicular access & trellis in garden (Amendment – Parking spaces moved 1 metre deeper into site) – 53 Abbey Street, Ickleton – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd.

 

The extra metre depth is a compromise accepted by Conservation and Planning officers jointly in discussion with me. They argued against widening from a Conservation point of view about the "setting" of the house in relation to the paved parking area (I don't really follow the argument!) - so I went for depth - and this is possibly more productive if it's a case of one or the other. I have been measuring and evaluating the reality of parking by marking out my parking area with the constraints for the wall etc. and driving cars in and out, and the extra length is helpful for the process.  It also allows an extra car to be potentially parked behind the one in front on the right.  Nevertheless as a result of carrying out this trial, I reckon just another 0.5 metre (minimum) of width makes a big difference to having decent room to open the doors on both sides of either car rather than a tight squeeze. This is exactly what you say.

 

The application will be considered by Chairman's delegation on Thursday morning 13th December - the day after IPC meeting.

 

I shall attend the meeting for the item - I will be at Cambourne anyway for another meeting that morning.

 

If Ickleton Parish Council wish to recommend this 0.5 metre (minimum) extra width as well - that's fine by me, as it well help my case if you do, and I can re-propose this to Chairman's Delegation, and take it to committee if it is not agreed.

 

Your response therefore needs to be communicated to Lorraine Casey first thing on Thursday morning. I have alerted her to this.

 

 

 

 


County Councillor’s Report                                   December 2007

 

 

Leaders and Chief Executives

The Conservative leader of the County Council has now resigned after Liberal Democrat and Labour demands that she should do so.  As interim leader until next May the previous leader has been pulled out of retirement.  Only the Conservatives understand why member has resigned from the cabinet for family reasons and another has announced that he will leave the cabinet next February.

 

The Chief Executive's position has now been filled - also temporarily - by one of the Deputy Chief Executives who had been a candidate for the Chief Executive's job.  The job search will be re-started at some time next year.  As the interim Chief Executive already had a full-time job running the demanding Office for Children and Young People, some adjustments are being made.

 

Liberal Democrats are concerned that at a time when there are huge pressures on the Council and many performance indicators are going the wrong way it is very sad to see both the political and administrative leaderships of the council in temporary hands.

 

Government Settlement 

We now know that the government will be giving the County 2% more cash than it did last year.  This is at the lower end of expectations and will inevitably mean yet more cuts.  Already Highways in our part of the county are braced for a reduction of £1million compared with the current year.

 

There are various complications, which could make the picture better or worse than it appears.  This includes money which used to go to the County being siphoned off to Cambridgeshire Together, being a quango of councils, Primary Care Trusts and the like, who are responsible for co-ordinating the county-wide Local Area Agreement.

 

Negotiations continue about the exact nature of next year's budget.

 

Congestion Charge

I reported last month on the County's bid for Transport Innovation Funding for improvements in transport into and around Cambridge, which would have to include a congestion charge.

 

More Conservatives have now come out in public against the whole scheme, though they have yet to explain how they would stop Cambridge gumming up entirely.

 

My own efforts have been in the direction of keeping the A505 on the agenda.  I believe that the County needs to take the requirements of commuters outside Cambridge into account - especially where there is no public transport alternative.  We now have cars queuing on the M11 southbound at Junction 10 in the morning rush hour.  It is quite wrong that this should be ignored while Trumpington Road is a priority.

 

Ickleton/Duxford/Hinxton footpath crossing the railway.

 This forms part of a long-standing battle between the County and Network Rail about blocking footpaths, which cross railways.  Many ramblers and walkers have been expressing disappointment that Network Rail seems to be intent on blocking rights of way.

 

The outcome of a Tribunal pitting the Rail Regulator against Network Rail has insisted that footpaths crossing railways shall be reinstated.  Network Rail could still appeal to the House of Lords.

 

In this case Network Rail has today submitted an application to have the footpath moved to the west side of the railway from the level crossing in Ickleton to the point where the Duxford footpath 8 begins.  Presumably Hinxton footpath 3 would remain in place to the east of the railway.  The footpath crossing of the railway would be suppressed.

 

The County has yet to have any indication as to whether the landowners in Ickleton and Duxford would agree to having a new footpath across their land.  In any event it would take a year before the amendment to the footpath's route could become law.

 

The matter of safety is clearly important.  There is a crossing in Sawston on the Whittlesford bridleway, which is also on a high-speed section of track.  To my knowledge there has not been an accident there in living memory.  If it was considered to be a grave danger then there is no reason why lights should not be installed.

 

Ickleton Footpath 5

 There have been complaints about "insensitive" gates and unnecessary replacement of a bridge on this footpath.

 

Under the Disability Discrimination Act and the Countryside Rights of Way Act the County has come under pressure to improve accessibility to footpaths.  The County is at pains to point out that this is not primarily for wheelchair access but is to help the less sprightly of all sorts, including those with artificial hips and knees.

 

The metal gates installed are of the most effective design for access and should not allow animals to get trapped.  Please let me know if you believe there is a risk to animals.

 

The bridge was replaced because the County judged that it was being undermined by animal traffic.

 

There is no reason why the landowners or the parish council could not paint the gates.  This is not recommended within the first twelve months from installation, though application of vinegar and water could reduce the time lapse.  In any event it is expected that the shine will disappear within a year and the gates will blend in better.

 

To the charge that this is a waste of council taxpayers' money the County responds that the cost is met by Government from a separate "Local Transport Plan" and is therefore not paid for directly by residents of Cambridgeshire.

 

I hope this helps but I shall be glad to take up any further issues you may have.

 

Imperial War Museum

On a matter of detail, the Chairman did object to the noise of Apache helicopters at the Imperial War Museum.

 

I have contacted the IWM, who say that the incident was not conducted under the auspices of the Imperial War Museum, though it was aware of the proposal to stage the exercise and made no objection.  The exercise was conducted as part of final training before the deployment of troops in Afghanistan and the tanks outside the Land Warfare Hall were used as "targets."  There was no radar or other facilitation given by the Museum.

 

Should the Parish Council wish to take the matter further then the IWM suggests that contact be made with RAF Wattisham.