ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 16 January 2008 at 7.30 pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present:  Robin Driver (Chairman), Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Sheila Birch, Tim Pavelin, Terry Sadler, Liz Goddard, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and John Williams (District Councillor) and four members of the public

 

001/08            Apologies for absence:  Mark Stone-Wigg, Peter Wombwell, Timothy Stone (County Councillor) – previous engagements.

 

002/08 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 12 December 2007:  After the following amendment on page 3 169/07 – “A request had been received to put some village photographs in Icene for a Quiz”, the minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

003/08            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:

A resident wish to point out that he had been in correspondence with Cambridgeshire County Council regarding the new gates on footpath 5.  Although he felt they had been installed for a worthy cause, the gates were an eyesore and he had asked CCC to paint them, which they were unable to resource.  He wondered if it was possible for the Parish Council to obtain a grant for this.  The Chairman said the Parish Council had not requested these gates; but they are due to submit a P3 application form in February to CCC and would include this item. 

John Williams mentioned that a light had been demolished in Butcher’s Hill.  The Clerk had been in touch with CCC who had removed the post and would shortly be sending the Parish Council a letter about this.

 

004/08            Matters Arising:

 

277/05  Village parking – This item was still outstanding with Terry Sadler.  The Chairman said he had received complaints about the parking at the bottom of Butcher’s Hill. Action:TS

028/06  Village seats – This item was ongoing with C Frankau who said he estimated £5 + VAT per seat.  We currently had 22 seats, 11 of which he had done.                         Action:Clerk

053/06  Land Registry inc.Coploe pit – Two letters had been received from Mr Marris of Adams Harrision enclosing Statutory Declarations for Robin Driver and Sheila Birch to swear in front of an independent solicitor.  These documents would be returned to the Clerk to send back to Mr.  Marris.  An invoice for £593.44 had been received which would be included on next month’s Agenda for payment.                                                                  Action:  Clerk

154/06  Allotments – Lewis Duke, Tim Pavelin and Liz Goddard declared an interest.

Simon Cheney reported that 26 people had formally said they would like an allotment, 3 would like a partial plot.  Thirteen people had attended a meeting at which the site of the allotments was discussed.  One resident is pursuing the possibility of the site adjacent to the Recreation Ground.  Another meeting is being held on 21 February at 49 Abbey Street, to which Robin Driver and Lewis Duke will attend.                                      Action:  RD/LD

028/07  Tennis Courts – Nothing further to report.                                   Action:  RD

073/07  Gypsy Corner – The planting of the hedge was still outstanding.            Action:  LD/TS

089/07  Churchyard – this work was still in progress by Mr Coulson            Action:  Clerk

137/07 Overgrowing trees – no progress had been made on this item.            Action:  Clerk

174/07 Speeding – Frogge Street – this will be covered under item 013/08

 

005/08 Youth Representation:  None

 

006/08            Correspondence received:

E-Cops             -            Distraction burglaries in South Cambs

IWM                -            Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee 8 Feb 08

SCDC              -            Audit Commission

Andrew Martin            -            SCDC DPD Public Examination Representations

CCC                 -            Winter Maintenance Leaflets

CCC                 -            Life on the Verge

CCC                 -            Tackling Congestion in Cambridgeshire

A Lansley MP            -            Re-surfacing M11

A Lansley MP            -            Railway crossing

Cambs Police            -            Neighbourhood Policing update

J McDonald            -            Refuse collection of Christmas period

CPRE               -            Planning Applications Workshop

CPRE               -            Fieldwork

Planet Aid UK            -            Recycling Bank request

Wildlife Trust            -            Helping landowners to protect their local wildlife

Wildlife Trust            -            Conservation Volunteers Team – increase in charges

CALC              -            AGM lunch 2 Feb 2008

Cope                -            Newsletter

Clerks&Councils            Councils Suppliers Guide & Yearbook 2008/Update

Glasdon            -            Catalogue

LCR                 -            Leaflet Jan 2008

Harts                -            Catalogue

Correspondence sent:

CCC                 -            Village grass cutting

C Frankau            -            Quotation – fencing for new trees

R Coulson            -            Acceptance of quotation for Churchyard

T Stone             -            Footpath

Rev Sands            -            Seat outside Methodist Chapel

 

006/08            Planning applications received from SCDC:

S/2273/07/F – Dwelling – Land R/O 9-17 Grange Road – Rowe Build & Development Ltd. – Refuse.  The Parish Council responded on 9 January 2008, and gave the following reasons:

·         be out of character with the pattern of development in the vicinity, since it is incompatible by reason of its mass in relation to existing properties;

·         have an unacceptable adverse impact on the amenity of existing properties; and in particular,

·         be out of keeping as our village has a strong linear character and this development would have an unacceptable adverse impact upon this local linear village character.

·         the access is too narrow for construction and Emergency Service vehicles e.g. Fire Engine.

·         the design does not seem to minimise energy use; there are no proposals to use renewable energy sources (e.g. solar power). 

Planning application granted by SCDC:

S/1914/07/F – 53 Abbey Street – Keith Mitchell Building Consultancy Ltd.

S/2214/07/F – Norman Hall, 21 Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen

S/2213/07/LB – Norman Hall, 21 Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen

S/2210/07/F – 7 Church Street – Mr & Mrs S Cheney

 

Planning application refused by SCDC:

 

S/2273/07/F – Land R/O 9-17 Grange Road – Rowe Build & Development Ltd.

 

John Williams reported that the planning application by Hexcel, Duxford had been approved by SCDC Planning Committee (see his report)

 

Tree Preservation Order or situated within a Conservation Area:

C/11/40/054 – Weeping Willow – Spur prune to previous reduction points.  Remove dead wood – 14 Frogge Street - Prof. D E Newland – Approve                                   Action:  Clerk

 

007/08            Reports from Councillors:

Terry Sadler reported that a lot of tipping was taking place at Gypsy Corner within the thicket.                                                                                                        Action:  RD/Clerk

Grange Road had potholes.  He also reported that the Slade was looking full today and seemed to contain rubbish and vegetation.                                                  Action:  Clerk

Sheila Birch reported that Frogge Street had a bad surface over quite a wide area and there were also potholes.                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

Liz Goddard reported that a resident was concerned regarding the overhanging trees in Butchers Hill.            The Chairman agreed he would look at these again.            Action: RD/Clerk

Jane Hurst reported dumping in a gateway in Frogge Street near the second motorway bridge when leaving the village.

There were potholes outside 36 Abbey Street and pub car park.                 Action:  Clerk

The demolition of the lamppost in Butchers Hill had made a mess of the grass verge.

The availability of sandbags was again raised.  Lewis Duke has a supply of sandbags to protect the village, with 2 loads of sand and bags available in reserve. 

Lewis Duke had received complaints about the collection of refuse by SCDC over the Christmas period.  Tim Pavelin felt that this discouraged people from re-cycling.  John Williams had covered this in his report.

Jocelyn Flitton informed the Parish Council that Gordon Woolhouse had retired as Chairman of  Ickleton Village Hall.  It was agreed that a letter would be written to Mr Woolhouse thanking him for his hard work and dedication over the years.              Action:  RD

Mike Cooper (CCC) had informed the Clerk that he was looking into flooding in Abbey Street and it appeared that the storm ditch which runs under the extension of the Chapel into the field behind, may have been filled in.  Mr Cooper is contacting Rev. Sands to discuss this.  Lewis Duke said the ditch could be improved once the drain has been cleared and would provide access if necessary.                                                                 Action:  Clerk

 

008/08            Reports from District (+ 153/07) and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor            -            see Appendix I

 

John Williams said he would be putting an article in Icene regarding the Christmas refuse collections by SCDC, so that residents could put their views forward to SCDC.

There is a possibility that houses will be transferred to Registered Social Landlords.  Allocation for the houses would remain with SCDC.  Currently 50% of the rent income goes to the government, under the new system it would mean government would not take 50%.  Applicants are automatically included in the Housing Association lists when they have been added to the Council list and show up on the villages that they have selected.

There is currently Anti Social Behaviour taking place in Duxford.

 

A resident left the meeting.

 

County Councillor             -            see Appendix II

 

 

009/08            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

           

Wildlife Trust - £50.00                          Ickleton Village Hall - £36.00             

Cambridgeshire Acre - £25.00              J A Flitton – £565.78

HM Customs & Revenue - £100.20            Harts - £49.06

 

Bank Balances:

Community Account                                    -            £129.61           

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £8,389.79

 

A VAT claim has been remitted for £1,025.94

                                               

Bank Mandate (RD) – still outstanding

 

Precept:

 

The finance committee had met to discuss the precept, which James Mcdonald had prepared.  They discussed the expenditure of this year. Their proposal to the other Councillors was that the precept be raised for the coming year from £13,000 to £15,000.  The Chairman said the finances need to be monitored closely this year and spending kept to a minimum.  The Chairman put this proposal to the vote and it was agreed by all to increase the precept to £15,000.  Tim Pavelin requested that figures were produced quarterly to show how we were doing against the budget set.                                                                    Action:  Clerk

 

010/08            Recreation Field and Play Area:

 

New Trees - Fences quotation.  C Frankau had submitted a quotation of £298 + VAT.  The Parish Council felt this was not acceptable and the Clerk would ask Mr Frankau to quote to supply a ‘drainpipe’ protection for the trees as an alternative he had suggested.                                                                                                                          Action:  Clerk
Eastern Landscape (SCDC) – 2 new trees – these trees are due to be planted in the hedge running along side the field on Tuesday 29 January.                                    Action:  Clerk
RoSPA Report – Aerial runway – The Clerk read out an e-mail received from Mark Stone-Wigg.  The Chairman said that he and the Clerk would look at this situation.
              Action:  RD/Clerk
Skate park quotation – still on hold                                                  Action:  RD

 

011/08  CCC - Foot Crossing across Cambridge/London railway line:  This crossing was now in place, crossing over the railway line at the end of Water Lane, then joining up with Gypsy Lane in Duxford.  This situation is still ongoing and will take time to resolve.  Sheila Birch pointed out that a stile in the area is rather dangerous.                    Action:  RD/LD

 

013/08 Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting – 7 January 2008:  Lewis Duke and Jocelyn Flitton attended this meeting on behalf of the Parish Council.  The police’s major concern was the current spate of distraction burglaries in the area and asked everyone to be vigilant.  The other topics discussed were Anti Social Behaviour and Speeding.  The County Council were considering funding for the introduction of a type of ‘Community Speedwatch’ scheme.  This could involve members of the community monitoring the speed of vehicles and passing on registration numbers to the County Council.  A pilot scheme was being run in East Cambridgeshire, but it had caused ill feeling and conflict.  Lewis Duke suggested that the Parish Council should approach this with some caution.

 

 

014/08            Adjournment for questions by members of the public:

Mill Lane Railway Crossing – the sleepers were loose and considered dangerous.  The Clerk was asked to write to Network Rail.                                                     Action:  Clerk

 

015/08  Date of next meeting: Wednesday 20 February 2008 at 7.30 pm

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10pm

 

 

Chairman:

 

 

Date:


Appendix I

 

Report from John Williams, District Councillor                               for January 2008

 

Planning application – 53 Abbey Street

Increasing the width of the parking space by 0.5 metres:

 

I attended Chairman’s delegation and this amendment was agreed, and the application passed.

 

Housing List:  Council list and Housing Association lists

I apologise for not replying to this earlier question from Sheila. I have now got the correct facts and will inform verbally at the meeting.

 

Land behind Grange Road

Officers took on board Ickleton PC’s refusal recommendation, and the application has just been refused by officers.

See attachment for the reasoning – which is a repeat of the reasons for refusal of the first application by the committee.

 

The applicant had already lodged an appeal against the first refusal. This remains on the table and will come up in mid-February.  I expect to be able to participate in this.

 

Hexcel

As you may already be aware, the two Hexcel applications – the plant itself, and the storage facility for acrylonitrile, were approved last week by the Planning Committee (13 members) by majorities of 1 and 2 respectively, after a strong debate. I spoke and voted in favour.

I finished off by proposing that Duxford PC’s proposals regarding Hunts Road improvements be included as package to be negotiated with Hexcel for contributions under a Section 106 agreement, along with a cycle path between Duxford and Ickleton - which was put by Councillor Kindersley. I would welcome the Parish Council’s views on the best route for such a path. These matters will form part of the delegated approval, and now enter the negotiation phase. 

 

I was, frankly, surprised at the result of the vote, because the question of the sincerity of the HSE “approval” became a hot issue. Following the Hinxton campaign’s insistence, Andrew Lansley routed a request to HSE for more detailed information on their response, but this was refused for security reasons. This generated suspicion that there must be something to hide and that the Government must be leaning on the HSE because they want the plant to be in England. I think at least 2 committee members were influenced by this, who might otherwise have accepted the HSE approval at face value, and voted in favour.

 

Refuse collection over Christmas period

Re James McDonald’s complaint

The Lib Dem Group is pushing for improvement in this. The Portfolio Holder (Daphne Spink) has been prompted to issue the following press release.

Anybody who wants to comment – I suggest they do so directly to add to the volume of comments.

Wednesday 9 January 2008 - SCDC is asking residents to feed through comments about the waste and recycling collection arrangements over Christmas and New Year.

A number of residents have contacted the council to comment on the arrangements - both positive and negative views - and others have contacted their local councillors.  The council is now urging all residents to make their views known so that they can be taken into account as the council reviews the arrangements and looks at how they can be improved for the future.

“We’re aware that some people experienced difficulty with the waste and recycling collections over the Christmas and New Year period and we’d like to improve for the future,” said Cllr Spink, portfolio holder for housing and environmental services.

“The system used this year was the same as the previous year, having prompted the fewest number of complaints we’ve had about the holiday collection arrangements.  The alternatives used in previous years - collecting early or rolling collections after bank holidays - have also posed problems for some residents, and we’ve received some positive comments about the current system, so we’re keen to look at how we can improve.  I would urge anyone with a view - both positive and negative - to get in contact.

“We also want to make sure that everyone knows about the arrangements in advance, so we will make sure that households receive a separate notification about the Christmas and New Year arrangements for 2008/9, in addition to the usual calendar in South Cambs magazine.”

Residents wanting to give SCDC their views on the Christmas and New Year waste and recycling collection arrangements should email envhealth@scambs.gov.uk mailto:envhealth@scambs.gov.uk>        or write to Health and Environmental Services, South Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne CB23 6EA .

 

 


Appendix II                County Councillor’s Report                                   January 2008 

 

Chief Executive

In another surprise twist the County has announced that Mark Lloyd is to take over as the new Chief Executive of Cambridgeshire County Council.  This is subject to full Council approval at a meeting scheduled for 10th January and will take effect in April. 

 

Mark Lloyd is currently Chief Executive of Durham County Council, recently judged by the Audit Commission as a top performing ‘Four Star Council’ that is ‘Improving Well’.

 

Durham was the only County Council named in 2007 as a Beacon Council for School Improvement and the Council has a strong reputation for managerial leadership and vision.

 

The odd thing is that it was Mr Lloyd who was chosen last year to take over as Chief Executive and was then reported as having withdrawn his application after intervention by the then Leader of the Council.  Exactly what is behind all this no doubt the press will eventually uncover.  But for the moment we can all be happy that the right person got the job.

 

Budget 

If County matters seem to have gone a bit quiet recently it could be because of the amount of time and effort being spent on trying to make next year’s budget balance.

 

Congestion Charge

The Transport Innovation Fund series or roadshows rumbles on. Liberal Democrats have been highly critical of the Administration’s lack of a clear political lead.  But it is reported that Cambridgeshire County Council transport chiefs want to make sure everyone has their say by logging onto www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/congestion or visiting one of the road shows, which will be touring the county in January and February.  The most local one to us - apart from those in Cambridge - is to be held at Sawston Village College on Wednesday 23rd January between 3 and 9 p.m.  If you are invited to a “briefing” that could be more interesting.

 

If anyone does attend, then they might like to make a plea for something to be done about the A505 between Junction 10 and the Sawston roundabout.  I should be interested to hear the response.

 

Another interesting thing is that the County has now added reduction in pollution to its aims.  This was after Lib Dem criticism of it not being prominently featured.  So you can get things done in opposition!

 

Railway Crossing

I think you have the answer to the footpath crossing over the railway line. The reason the parish council was not consulted is that this is clearing an already existing crossing and forms part of an on-going battle between Network Rail and a Rail Tribunal. The work is being done by Network Rail, not the County. As I have reported, the alternate footpath has been proposed by Network Rail and I should be most grateful if you will let me know if the landowners have been consulted. Apparently Network Rail say they have proof that the alternative always was a footpath, though the County's Definitive Map shows nothing.

 

Footpath 5

At the time of writing I still have no answers to the Parish Council’s questions concerning the work done on the gates and the bridge on this footpath.  I know that the County is preparing a response and I shall follow up on my return.