ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 14 May 2008 at 7.45 pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present: Robin Driver (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Jane Hurst, Lewis Duke, Tim Pavelin, Terry Sadler, Liz Goddard, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk).  Timothy Stone (County Councillor) and 1 member of the public.

 

066/08 Apologies for absence:  Mark Stone-Wigg.  Peter Wombwell and John Williams (District Councillor) would be arriving during the meeting.

 

067/08 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2008:  Minute 57/08 – fourth sentence should read ‘after the end of February’ not after 31 March.  The minutes were then approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

068/08 Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

069/08 Matters Arising:

028/06   Village seats – a quotation from C Frankau to move the seats from Duxford Road to the Recreation Ground was still awaited.                                                                                           Action:  Clerk

053/06  Land Registry (various land) – nothing further had been heard since sending a cheque on 23 April 2008, relating to the Village Hall, to Adams Harrison.                                                      Action:  Clerk

028/07  Tennis Courts – nothing further to report.                                                            Action:  Clerk

073/07  Gypsy Corner – hedgerow – this was still outstanding.                                         Action: LD/TS

137/07  Overgrowing trees (Footpath) – this was still outstanding with the landlords.          Action:  Clerk

023/08  Top Soil – field Grassy Lane – An e-mail had been received from the Environment Agency, who had inspected the site and could see that spoil had been introduced into the flood plain.  They were currently awaiting a land registry check for details of the landowners.  Once they had the information, they would be getting the owners to remove the spoil heap outside the flood plain.                   Action:  Clerk

Parish Plan – item to be kept on Agenda as a reminder.                                                   Action:  Clerk

No Smoking signs – two self-adhesive signs had been purchased, which were to be put up in the bus shelters.  A quotation for metal ones has yet to be obtained.                                         Action:  Clerk

039/08  Trees in Cemetery – An e-mail fro Roz Richardson (SCDC Trees & Landscape Officer) said that following her visit to the cemetery, she confirmed that the trees along the frontage are a mix of Yew and Scots Pine.  Some of the Pines are of poor specimens and leaning.  While they do not appear to have caused any damage to the wall there is the potential as the Pines are shallow rooted and leaning.  She has no objection to the removal of the Pines, however the Yew is significant and a native tree so would like to see it retained.  The Chairman agreed to speak to Ron Coulson if necessary after Jane Hurst had been to look at the trees and reported back.                                                                                          Action: RD/Clerk

Pothole – this had been reported.

IWM – nothing to report from the liaison meeting following our letter to G Igglesden.        Action:  Clerk.

Dog Fouling – Nothing further to add at the moment.

050/08 Allotments – Liz Goddard reported that interested parties met on Monday 12 May.  Three relevant officers had been appointed and two committee members.  The Chairman is John Taylor.  Action:  LG

057/08 Butcher’s Hill Light & Trees – An e-mail had been sent to Paul Quigley (SCDC) asking when the light was going to be reinstated.  A letter had been delivered to Mr T Bristowe regarding the Horse Chestnut Trees, but no reply had been received.  A copy of the letter had been sent to SCDC.

Action:  Clerk

Parking Abbey Street – Nothing further to report at the moment.                                     Action:  Clerk

Mill Lane Crossing – A reply had been received from Network Rail, Community Relations Adviser, London & South East.  It stated they confirmed that the level crossing mentioned does meet Network Rail’s health and safety standards.  The Parish Council would like to know the date of the inspection and a copy of their notes.  Some photographs were passed round taken of the crossing by the Chairman.  One resident had had to carry a buggy over the crossing, as it could not be wheeled over the uneven sleepers.   The Parish Council agreed that they were not satisfied with the state of this crossing, which they felt was still dangerous.  The Clerk was asked to convey this and ask for a site meeting.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

 

070/08 Youth Representation:  None

 

071/08 Correspondence received:

SCDC                          -           South Cambridgeshire Housing Futures

SCDC                          -           Local Code of Conduct Complaints Process

SCDC                          -           Standards Committee Newsletter

SCDC                          -           Planning Policy May Update

SCDC                          -           Homelessness Strategy Consultation

CCC (J Cooper)                        -           Footpaths

CCC                             -           Recruiting ‘Looked after Children Services’

A Lansley CBE MP      -           Copy of letter re. Hexcel

RosPA                         -           Annual Inspection Report

J McDonald                  -           Copy of query re. Insurance

S London                      -           Copy of letter to Cllr J Williams – Ickleton Riverside Barns

L Morrisey                    -           Allotments

NALC                          -           Conference 20-22 May ‘08

Wellcome Trust             -           Fireworks – 7 May ‘08

CPALC                                    -           Newsletter 1 + Agenda Meeting 5 June 08

CALC                          -           EGM – 31 May 08

Network Rail                -           Mill Lane Level Crossing

Stop Stansted Exp.        -           Leaflet + Flightpath changes

COPE                          -           Newsletter No. 44

Energy Saving Trust      -           Energy Efficient leaflet

CPRE                           -           AGM 19 May 2008

Sawston V C                -           Mini Academy Information.

LCR                             -           Journal

Clerks & Council           -           Magazine

Correspondence sent:

SCDC                          -           Dog Disposal Bins (Wellcome Trust)

Ickleton Football Club    -           2008/09 Season

Crocus Football Club     -           2008/09 Season

Ins. Paul Ormerod         -           Thank you letter

A Lansley CBE MP      -           Ickleton Post Office

A Lansley CBE MP      -           Hexcel Composites, Duxford

Mr T A Bristowe          -           Butcher Hill (Horse Chestnut Trees)

Mr & Mrs D Odedra     -           Ickleton Village Shop & Post Office

Adams Harrison            -           Land Registry – Village Hall

Mr C Frankau               -           Football pitch/seats/skate park

 

072/08 Planning application(s) received from SCDC:                      

 

Declarations of Interest to be declared.  Sheila Birch declared an interest in Planning Application S/0722/08/CAC and did not take part in the discussion.    

S/0679/08/LB – Alterations-glazed porch extension – 53 Abbey Street – Keith Mitchell – Approve

S/0722/08/CAC – Total demolition of former office, garage and workshop buildings – Howeys Yard, adj 33 Abbey Street – R Pullin.  The Parish Council were minded to approve, however we note that there is a total lack of floor and elevation plan drawings.  Until these are received we cannot confirm our present view.  The Clerk was asked to contact SCDC for these and to obtain a deadline date to which we must respond.                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk                                                                                                

S/0729/08/F – Erection of timber framed shelter & wall – Ickleton Lion – Greene King – Approve

 

John Williams joined the meeting

 

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC:

S/0357/08/F – Extension – 21 Mill Lane – Mr & Mrs Hutchinson

S/0417/08/CAC – Total demolition of Existing Single Storey Dwelling – 29 Church Street – Executor of Mrs M K Harrison dec’d

S/0563/08/F – Extension – 3 Southfield – Mr & Mrs Toombs

 

The Planning Inspectorate:  S/1562/07/LB & S/1563/07/F – Norman Hall, Church Street – Mr & Mrs J Owen.  Representations to be made by 4 June 2008.  The Parish Council refused these applications in September and the Clerk read out the reasons.  It was agreed that a letter would be sent stating our reasons for refusal.                                                                                                                 Action:  Clerk

 

Application to carry out Tree works subject to a tree preservation order or situated within a Conservation Area:

C/11/40/54 – Fell Sycamore Tree next to Flint Wall near covered Gateway – Butchers Hill – Mr & Mrs A MacGregor - Approve

 

073/08 Hanley Grange Proposal inc. Joint Action Group:

 

No objection was raised to the Hanley Grange project team holding a public exhibition in the village hall.  The Clerk was asked to find out the date this would take place.                                          Action:  Clerk

The next meeting of the Joint Action Group is taking place on Thursday 15 May at Hinxton.  It was agreed that Terry Sadler would represent the Parish Council.  Parish Councils were being asked to contribute funds to this cause and a suggestion of £500 from the Parish Council would be discussed under finance.  The Chairman reiterated that funds were limited this year but this item would be open for review later. 

The next meeting being held by Andrew Lansley CBE MP is on Friday 16 May at Whittlesford.  Robin Driver and Terry Sadler will attend on behalf of the Parish Council.

Our village consultation day in the Village Hall on Saturday 17 May was discussed.  Ickleton Society would also be helping.    Documents and maps will be on display and a petition for people to sign.  A sheet of paper will be produced for everyone to take away giving the relevant websites and address to write to.  A timetable of when Councillors would be present on the day was drawn up.  It was also agreed to put a ‘bucket’ out asking for donations.                                                                                  Action:  Clerk/All

 

074/08 Reports from Councillors:

 

Tim Pavelin reported that he would be attending a meeting being held in Duxford re. Hexcel Composites.

Terry Sadler reported that he had noticed some surveying being done on the motorway bridge in Grange Road.  Peter Wombwell reported that they had also been on the motorway bridge in Coploe Road.

Jocelyn Flitton said Nick Malone of 50 Frogge Street had called and asked if he could paint the pump black that was outside his house.  The Parish Council has no objections to this.             Action:  Clerk

 

075/08 Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor          -           see Appendix I

County Councillor          -           see Appendix II

 

076/08 Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

 

23/04/08 – HM Land Registry - £40.00  

Harts  -  £76.53      Art Inspired - £20.00   Local Council Review - £13.50    RoSPA - £144.53

Ickleton United Charities - £2,500.00                  AON Insurance            - £1,493.13

 

Finance received:  SCDC precept       -           £7,500.00

 

Year-end Financial Statement:  These were presented to the Parish Council, following an internal audit by Ken Worthing.  It was unanimously agreed that the accounts be adopted.  The form will be completed and sent to Moore Stephens (External Auditors).                                                             Action:  Clerk                        

Bank Balances:

Community Account      -                                   £870.70

Business Base Rate Tracker Account    -           £9,158.89

 

It was unanimously agreed that Terry Sadler, could on the behalf of the Parish Council, offer £500 to the Hanley Grange Joint Action Group.                                                                                  Action:  TS

                                                                       

Bank Mandate (RD) – still outstanding

 

077/08 Recreation Field and Play Area:

 

New Trees – ‘Drainpipe’Fence quotation – this was still awaited from C Frankau.                        Action:  Clerk
RoSPA Report – 9/4/08 – a copy of this report was given to Recreation Ground Working Party to read and report back to the next meeting.                                                                                           Action:  TP/LG/PW
Football Clubs – Start/End dates of Seasons + Match Fees – this is still outstanding.          Action:  Clerk

 

078/08  Emergency Flooding Plan:  It was agreed to remove this item from the Agenda.

 

079/08   Footpaths:  Sheila Birch and Jocelyn Flitton had met with Andrew Stimson (CCC Parish Paths Partnership Liaison Officer South Cambs.) and shown him the galvanised gates and various footpaths.  He has e-mailed to say he will be answering our questions on footpaths 3 and 5 in due course.  Action:  SB

 

080/08 South Cambs. Crime & Disorder Reduction Partnership Conference 22 July 5 – 8.30 pm:  Lewis Duke will endeavour to attend this meeting on behalf of the Parish Council.         Action:  LD

 

081/08   Annual Parish Meeting – 21 May 2008 – Speaker Peter Sanders – Stop Stansted Expansion:

Leaflets have been delivered around the village and a notice put on the notice board.  The Chairman and Clerk will discuss the arrangements for the refreshments.                                                  Action: RD/Clerk

 

082/08 Adjournment for questions by members of the public: None

           

083/08 Date and time of next meeting:  18 June 2008 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.25 pm.

 

 

Chairman

 

 

Date

 


                    

 

Appendix I                  For Ickleton Parish Council                           for May 2008

 

Report from John Williams, District Councillor

 

 

53 Abbey Street

 

I have talked at length with Keith Mitchell about parking on Abbey Street, and can report verbally.

 

Ickleton Riverside Barns

 

This was passed unanimously by SCDC Planning Committee given that:

The scheme had been reduced to what is actually present (i.e. excluding the extra 4 units previously proposed); Highways had specified improved access measures, discussed with and accepted by the applicant, and approval is conditional on these. Employment and what the site offers to the area were seen positively by the committee. Retail use in the countryside was considered already pre-empted by the existing lawful development certificate for the original 8 units.

 

Hanley Grange

 

Motions (Kindersley/Williams and Orgee) were put and unanimously passed at SCDC Full Council last week to stop Hanley Grange, and to switch the focus to make Northstowe a full Eco-town and displace Hanley Grange accordingly.

 

Meanwhile the Action Group formed by Tim Stone to involve Parish Councils is still in formation, and Ickleton Parish Council’s participation will be welcomed.

 

I have written a screed to go in the next ICENE emphasising the need for the public to respond to the Government and how to go about this. See as additional attachment.

           


Appendix II                County Councillor’s Report                                   May 2008 

 

Hanley Grange

 

We are moving much too slowly on the joint action group of Parish Councils to stop Hanley Grange.

 

Last week’s meeting in Whittlesford Memorial Hall achieved very little and a further effort is to be made tomorrow. The more dynamic villages are going ahead creating and distributing their own leaflets.

 

A committee has now been identified which has as its Chairman Julie Redfern, who is District Councillor for Great Chesterford.

 

The Joint Action Group urgently needs to get cracking on its priorities and we are already half way through the consultation period, which ends on 30th June.

 

Main priorities are:

 

Creation and delivery of a Joint Action Committee action pack asking for people to write to the government and sign two petitions: one on the www.stophanleygrange.org.uk website and the other at the 10 Downing Street website http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/stophanleygrange/

 

Updating and improving the stophanleygrange website

 

Creating posters and publicity materials.

 

I hope there will be more about all this at tomorrow’s meeting in Whittlesford Memorial Hall.

 

The joint leaflet from the County, District, City and Cambridgeshire Horizons will be delivered to all houses within a radius of eight miles of Hanley Grange from the end of this week.

 

A motion I proposed at the County Council meeting yesterday, which asked the Leader to write to the government to protest was passed unanimously.  A separate motion was also passed unanimously at the District Council.

 

There have been many radio appearances and newspaper articles in the local and national press.  On Sunday the Politics Programme will do a piece at the Red Lion in Hinxton.  I have been asked to participate and if anyone would like to go along in support we meet at noon and the programme goes out live at 12.30.

 

Could you please place petition forms in you shop to collect signatures?  The wording is the same as the wording of the Stophanleygrange petition.