ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 16 July 2008 at 7.30 pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present:  Robin Driver (Chairman), Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Jane Hurst, Lewis Duke, Liz Goddard, Peter Wombwell, Tim Pavelin, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and John Williams (District Councillor)

 

105/08            Apologies for absence:  Timothy Stone (County Councillor), Mark Stone-Wigg

 

106/08 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2008:  Minute 100/08 c) should read “the possibility of a gas turbine to generate electricity”.  Following this amendment the minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

107/08            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

108/08            Matters Arising:

028/06   Village seats – Robin Driver had checked this seat, which he found to be safe.  It was decided to leave the seat where it is for the time being.

053/06  Land Registry – Recreation Ground Play Area (27, 29 & 31 Abbey Street) – The Clerk had spoken to Mr Marris to clarify the situation of the land behind the play area fencing, which belongs to Ickleton Parish Council.  The Chairman and Clerk had visited the site and noticed that the tenants in No. 27 were encroaching onto this land.                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

028/07  Tennis Courts – nothing further to report at the moment.                                               Action:  Clerk

Tim Pavelin joined the meeting.

073/07  Gypsy Corner – hedgerow – the planting of a new hedgerow is still outstanding.            Action:  LD/TS

023/08  Top Soil – field Grassy Lane  - the Parish Council had nothing further to add having the seen the planning application that had been submitted to Uttlesford DC.                

Parish Plan – this item to be kept on the Agenda as a reminder.                                              Action:  Clerk

039/08  Trees in Cemetery – The Clerk had spoken to Ron Coulson who had declined the work due to the closeness of the trees to the wall and being a one-man band.  It was agreed to discuss this item again next month.                                                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

050/08             Allotments – Lewis Duke reported that an Allotment Group had been formed, insurance had been obtained and an agreement had been signed between the Allotment Group and himself.  It is hoped the allotments would be operational by the weekend.  The Chairman thanked Mr Duke for his help and assistance is getting this project up and running.                                                                        Action:  LD

057/08  Butcher’s Hill Light & Trees – The streetlight had still not been replaced.  The Clerk will chase Paul Quigley at SCDC for an update, copying in the District & County Councillors.            Action:  Clerk

The landowner had been in touch with the Clerk regarding the horse chestnut trees and reported that he will be getting the trees trimmed.  He has also been in touch with CCC and SCDC. 

Parking Abbey Street – the police said there was little they could do regarding the parking of the camper van, but the owner should take care to park it facing the right way at nighttime.

Mill Lane Crossing – Network Rail had replaced some of the sleepers but have yet to complete the job.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk

091/09 Rubbish Back Lane adj. No. 12 Birds Close – the Clerk had spoke to Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) who said they would complete the tidying up of the fallen tree.

Dog Fouling notice – SCDC did not supply such notices.  The Clerk had been in touch with Algar Signcraft who said they could make an aluminium sign (wording of our choice) for £12 + VAT.  It was agreed we would order two signs, which could be fixed to wooden posts.                                        Action:  Clerk

Coploe Pit gate – the repair of the post was still outstanding with C Frankau.                        Action:  Clerk

Litter Picking (Cllr J Williams) – SCDC operated a standard litter picking every six months.

096/08 Footpaths (Letter to CCC) – A letter had been sent to Andrew Simson (CCC) also to Cllr Timothy Stone, pointing out that cost of maintenance for the galvanised gates was greater than the wooden ones, which had previously been there and maintenance would be an ongoing item.

109/08 Youth Representation  None

 

110/08            Correspondence received:

SCDC                          -            Supplementary Planning Documents Public Participation

SCDC                          -            Re-Organisation of Development Control Teams

SCDC                          -            Planning Policy July update

CCC                             -            Post Office Closures in Cambridgeshire

CCC                             -            Your Cambridgeshire magazine

CCC                             -            Cambridgeshire Childcare Sufficiency Assessment 2007-8

SCC&DRP                   -            Neighbourhood Profile Update – Sawston Neighbourhood

RAGT                          -            Proposed Grange Road temporary closure

BT                               -            BT Public Payphone Kiosk 01799 530221 (Frogge Street)

D Dunnett                     -            Proposed development in Frogge Street

Monica Lilley                -            Church Fete + date for next year 4 July 2009

Camb. Cycling Cam.    -            Cycling 2020 – our vision for cycling in Cambridge

Imp. War Museum            -            Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Committee Minutes

Hanley Grange              -            Various

AON                            -            Insurance cover

LCC                             -            Local Council Clerks National Conference 2008

Glasdon                        -            Catalogues

Cope                            -            Newsletter No. 46

Harts                            -            Catalogues

LCR                             -            Newsletter July 2008

Crocus FC                    -            Match Fees 2007-8

Correspondence sent:

E-Cops                         -            Parking at junction Butchers Hill/Church St/Brookhampton Street

Ms C Willmott               -            Reserved Prepaid plots in Cemetery

A Simson (CCC)  -            Footpath 5 – Painting gates

Mr Marris                     -            Land on the South West side of Frogge Street

 

111/08            Planning application(s) received from SCDC:            

Declarations of Interest to be declared - None

S/0933/08/F – Extension – 35 Church Street – D Odedra – Amendment – Deletion of dormer window to side elevation of rear extension & replacement with roof lights – Information only

Planning application withdrawn:  S/0871/08/F – Extension – 6 Frogge Street – Mr N Mckibbin

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC:

S/0729/08/F – Erection of Timber Framed Shelter & Wall – Ickleton Lion, 9 Abbey Street – Greene King Pub Partners

S/0826/08/F – Dwelling following demolition of Existing Buildings – Howeys Yard, Abbey Street – Cheffins (Mr R Pullin)

Application to carry out Tree works subject to a tree preservation order or situated within a Conservation Area:

C/11/40/054 – Remove a branch damaging neighbour’s car port –  66 Abbey Street – Mr R Cooper – Approve.

John Williams joined the meeting.

 

112/08 Hanley Grange Proposal inc. Joint Action Group:

Terry Sadler reported that Wellcome Trust had put out a press release today saying that they had withdrawn from the Hanley Grange proposal.  The Parish Council welcomed this news and would write a letter to Wellcome Trust – Terry Sadler will draft the letter to be sent.                                               Action:  TS/Clerk

Terry Sadler gave an updated on recent meetings and correspondence to the Councillors.  It was also noted that Jarrow Investments altered their submission on 30 June, which did not allow anyone to respond, as this was the last day of the consultation.

The Chairman wished to thank everyone who had worked very hard on this consultation, especially Terry Sadler and Rachel Radford who worked so hard on behalf of Ickleton.

 

113/08            Reports from Councillors:

Robin Driver reported that we had been informed of a proposed Grange Road closure during August for 5 days.  As this was in the middle of harvest, the Chairman spoke to the Project Manager David Ross to see if the date could be changed to end of September/October.  Mr Ross has verbally agreed to the change of date but confirmation has not yet been received.  A letter from RAGT had been received stating the disruption it would cause if the road were closed in August.  CCC Streetworks Coordinator had not notified us of the proposed works, nor the alternative route proposed using Coploe Road.  The Parish Council will write a letter pointing out the safety issues of using a single-track road and that this is also a preferred cycle route.                                                                                                                          Action: RD/Clerk

Cemetery Chapel – The Chairman had had a good look around the chapel and found the eastern side in very poor condition.  Overall the chapel needs a lot of money spent on it.  It was agreed that the Chairman would contact Mr Warren of George Collin & Son and obtain an overall estimate.  The Council wondered if any grants were available.  Item to be put on next month’s Agenda.                                         Action:  RD/Clerk

Sheila Birch reported that Coploe Pit was looking very pretty at the moment and requested permission to arrange for maintenance to be done in the autumn.  This was agreed.  Peter Wombwell will arrange to put some sheep in the pit, but will need to put an electric fence around whilst the sheep are in the pit.                                                                                                                                                 Action:  SB/PW

Jane Hurst – reported that there were numerous rabbits in the cemetery.                          Action:  RD/Clerk

A headstone (next to Elizabeth Law) had fallen face down in the old part of the cemetery.  Peter Wombwell said he would arrange for the headstone to be turned over.                                               Action: PW

Liz Goddard reported that a catch on one of the Play Area gates had broken and agreed to get it replaced.                                                                                                                                               Action:  LG

Peter Wombwell reported that helicopters had been flying very low (40 feet) over his farm today as part of an exercise organised by Imperial War Museum.  During this exercise, a horse had been frightened and had injured a leg.  He had rung Duxford airfield to complain.  As this is not the first time that this has happened, with no notification beforehand being received of the intended exercise, he asked if a letter could be written to Imperial War Museum with a copy to Timothy Stone and Graham Igglesden.               Action:  RD/Clerk

 

114/08            Reports from District and County Councillor:

District Councillor

John Williams reported that the Parish Council should receive notice any day now from SCDC relating to the Planning Permission given to Ickleton Riverside Barns.  He would reply to an e-mail Terry Sadler sent on 3 July relating to the Review of Street Trading Consent SCDC.

                                                                                                                                    Action:  JW

County Councillor

See Appendix I

 

115/08            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

Ickleton Village Hall - £84.00            Harts - £72.38            J A Flitton - £711.73            HM Customs - £146.05              

Receipts:  Crocus FC - £360.00           

 

Budget update – The Clerk had circulated a spreadsheet that showed receipts/expenditure for the first three months of the financial year against the budget figures.  Tim Pavelin found this very helpful and the councillors felt we were on target.

Bank Balances:

Community Account                                    -            £155.34

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £9,213.34

(A VAT reclaim has been sent for £196.95 and a cheque is due for £110 prepaid plots in Cemetery)

Bank Mandate (RD) – still outstanding

 

116/08            Recreation Field and Play Area:
RoSPA Report – 9/4/08 – update on items needing attention – Bearers have been ordered to repair the Aerial runway.                                                                                                                        Action:  PW

 

117/08  Post Office Closures in South Cambridgeshire:

Ickleton Post Office has a further consultation period of six weeks taking place before a decision is made about our Post Office.  They are asking for more views to be sent (see notice in the village shop).  It was agreed to put an article in Icene encouraging people to write again.  Correspondence had also been received from CCC.                                                                                                                Action:  Clerk

 

118/08            Wellcome Trust - Dog Disposal Bins:

The Clerk was still chasing SCDC to try and resolve this situation.  In principle SCDC have agreed to install two bins but they must be near a highway for easy collection.  One could be placed inside gateway in Hinxton Road, the other one would need to be installed in Mill Lane as SCDC will not cross the railway line.                                                                                                                              Action:  Clerk

 

119/08 Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting (07/07/08):

Lewis Duke and Jocelyn Flitton attended this meeting.  The new sector Inspector Chris Savage took the meeting; discussions took place about where the different parishes have problems and how the police will address them.  They also had the opportunity to speak to PC Iain Perry.  The next meeting is on 6 October 2008 at Sawston Village College at 7 pm for 7.30 pm and members of the public are welcome to attend.

 

120/08            Adjournment for questions by members of the public  None

           

121/08 Date and time of next meeting - 20 August 2008 at 7.30 pm.   

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10 pm.

 

 

 

Chairman

 

 

 

Date                                               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Appendix I

 

County Councillor’s Report                                                                                                              July 2008

 

Community Engagement Arrangements

Two bees in my bonnet at the County have been the lack of proper arrangements for Councillor training and development and adequate engagement with parishes.  Both have taken me three years to get going but finally seems to be moving.  I have been part of a member-led review on Councillor development, which has now reported.  Up until now we had no proper job descriptions.  While training in council activities is good, we have virtually none in improving the ways individual councillors work. 

 

Now I believe that we have also managed to get the County to move on improving the way it engages with communities.

 

Taking examples from a number of other local authorities a proposal was taken to cabinet last week.  It includes beefing up Neighbourhood Panels to get better consultation with parishes, better on-line consultation and community “fun events” which have been shown in other places to get more people to attend than would normally turn up to a consultation meeting.

 

Parish Plans remain a cornerstone of the effort to consult and there is a possibility of getting a number of neighbouring parishes to combine to give a neighbourhood overview of how people would like their wider area to develop.  The experience of Hanley Grange demonstrates the advantages of parishes working together on issues, which cover more than one village.

 

A side issue here is that the County seems to have gone overboard in its consultation on the Transport Innovation Fund bid.  The Leader of the Council announced that the process would be delegated to an outside commission, including private sector companies such as Stagecoach and Marshalls. This would potentially get the County of the hook of making an unpopular decision.  Not only was this announcement made without proper council approval it also dodged the council’s responsibility to take decisions and in addition by-passed the Joint Traffic Forum, a partnership set up by the County, the City and South Cambs.

 

There seems to have been a certain amount of backtracking after severe criticism from the opposition.

 

Highways Village Wardens

The Village Wardens scheme is progressing.  The idea is for nominated parish councillors to get a much better idea of how County Highways works and what it can and can’t do. The intention is also to give Village Wardens better insight into planning matters so it is easier for them to follow the process of County input into planning applications.

 

In the event councillors from six parishes, including Terry Sadler from Ickleton, were present and the trial is now beginning with Richard Preston setting up an induction session.

 

Hanley Grange

 

Thanks to all those in Ickleton who have made a huge effort to get Hanley Grange removed from the list of potential eco-towns.  The Campaign continued with a meeting last week in Pampisford with representatives of the Joint Action Group, the Department for Communities and Local Government, the Government Office East and the promoters. The Joint Action Group met Cambridgeshire Horizons, the County and District Councils on Tuesday, at which both Terry Sadler and Rachel Radford were present.  Terry will no doubt report.

 

It is excellent news that Wellcome Trust has decided not to contribute its 270 acres.  While that does not of itself stop Tesco in its tracks, it does make the financial viability of a scheme much more questionable.  Until the scheme is withdrawn or rejected the fight will go on.