ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 10 December 2008 at 7.30 pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall

 

Present: Lewis Duke (Acting Chairman), Sheila Birch, Peter Wombwell, Terry Sadler, Jane Hurst, Tim Pavelin, Liz Goddard, Mark Stone- Wigg, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk)

 

193/08            Apologies for absence:  Robin Driver, John Williams (District Councillor) and Timothy Stone (County Councillor) – previous engagements.

 

194/08 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2008:  Minute 183/08 should read:  “Peter Wombwell reported that one verge conservation post….”   Following this amendment, the minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

195/08            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

196/08            Matters Arising:

 

053/06  Land Registry – Recreation Ground/Village Hall – signatures required – Nothing further had been heard from Mr Marris at Adams Harrison.                                                                      Action:  Clerk

028/07  Tennis Courts – Nothing further to report at this moment.                                   Action:  Clerk   023/08   Parish Plan – this item to be kept on the Agenda as a reminder.                                  Action:  Clerk

039/08   Trees in Cemetery quotation – No quotation had been received from Mr Lilley.  The Clerk was asked to write requesting this by the January meeting.                                                            Action:  Clerk

057/08   Butcher’s Hill Street Light – this light was still not working and had been reported as such again this week, together with the light near the Ickleton Lion car park in Abbey Street.                Action:  Clerk

             Mill Lane Crossing – The Clerk had sent a letter to Mr A Lansley CBE MP and would chase for a reply in the New Year if one had not been received.  In the absence of Mr Driver, it was unknown if he had contacted the press.  The Clerk was asked to contact Wellcome Trust and ask if they would write to Network Rail (with a copy to Mr Lansley).                                                                Action:  Clerk/RD

091/08   Coploe Pit gate – C Frankau had repaired the post this morning.

096/08   Footpaths – galvanised gates (TStone) – Nothing to add in the absence of Cllr Stone. 

               Action: TStone

165/08   Churchyard (low branches) – this item was still outstanding with Mr Driver & Mr Coulson.  The Clerk had spoken to both parties.                                                                         Action:  RD

183/08   Conservation plaques – The Clerk had obtained two plaques and passed them onto Sheila Birch.  Sheila Birch had spoken to the Protected Roadside Verges section at CCC and was told that they have money to spend before March and a contractor in hand to do the work.

Pothole in Frogge Street  - this had been reported to Highways and should be filled shortly. 

Byway Signs – the Clerk had sent an e-mail to A Stimson (CCC) asking if he could explain why they had been installed.  Mr Stimson had read the e-mail but no reply had been received.

                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

Frogge Street 30 mph Speed Limits – A letter had been sent to D Lines (CCC) but no reply had been received.                                                                                                         Action:  Clerk

188/08  Street Lighting Maintenance & Energy Charges – A letter had been sent to Mr C Sproston requesting a reduction in our maintenance costs, but no reply had been received.            Action:  Clerk

 

As there were several items outstanding with CCC, it was agreed that the Clerk would write to Cllr Stone requesting that replies/answers from CCC should be sent to the Parish Council.                        Action:  Clerk

 

197/08 Youth Representation:  None

           

198/08  Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

District Councillor – Cllr Williams had nothing significant to report but wished to remind everyone that Carol Singing around the village was taking place on Thursday 18 December.

 

County Councillor – see Appendix I

 

199/08            Correspondence received:

CCC                             -            Annual Report for 2007-08

CCC (M Cooper)            -            Frogge Street closure on 9/12/08

CCC                             -            Winter Gritting & Snow Clearing leaflet

CCC                             -            Parish Path Partnership (P3) Applications for 2009/10

CCC                             -            Your Cambridgeshire magazine

SCDC                          -            Council Housing in South Cambs. Leaflet

SCDC                          -            20 Church Street – Tree works

SCDC                          -            Christmas waste and recycling  collections 2008

CPALC                                    -            News Sheet

ICO                              -            Information Commissioner’s Office – Freedom of Information

SSE                              -            Request for Financial Support + High Court Challenge

IWM                            -            Invitation to Briefing re. Renault Formula One Test Days

IWM                            -            Duxford Airfield Management Liaison Comm. Minutes

P Riding                        -            Freecycle information

Cambs. Police               -            Cambs. Neighbourhood Watch Annual Conference 31/1/09

CPRE                           -            Cambridgeshire Voice + Minutes of AGM 16/07/08

CPRE                           -            Fieldwork

Canalbs Ltd.                 -            Independent Internal Audit & Training Services

Adams Harrison            -            Newsletter (Come to Sawston 14/11/08)

Uttlesford DC               -            Essex Works magazine

Glasdon                        -            Winter catalogue

Correspondence sent:

CCC (C Sproston)            -            Street Lighting Maintenance and Energy 2008/2009

CCC (M Cooper)            -            Potholes and Frogge Street closure on 9/12/08

CCC (D Lines)             -            30mph Speed Limit

CCC (A Stimson)            -            Byway Signs

A Lansley CBE MP       -            Heavy traffic through Ickleton

A Lansley CBE MP       -            Network Rail – Mill Lane Level Crossing

G Igglesden                   -            Letter of appreciation

E-Cops                         -            Speed Watch

PlayQuest                     -            Maintenance Contract

 

The Clerk was asked to write to Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) and thank him for the information regarding the closure of Frogge Street on 9/12/08, but point out that the Parish Council are however surprised that there are no emergency arrangements in place for buses and emergency vehicles.          

                                                                                                                                    Action:  Clerk  

 

200/08            Planning application(s) received from SCDC:             Declarations of Interest to be declared.

 

S/1551/08/F – extensions, alterations & conversion of existing Agric. Buildings to Offices – Abbey Farm, Duxford Road – Mr L Duke – Site meeting held – Approve  (SCDC already notified of decision)

S/1552/08/LB – Alterations, extension & conversion of two outbuildings to office use, with attached wall and gates – Abbey Farm, Duxford Road – Mr L Duke – Site meeting held – Approve (SCDC already notified of decision)

S/1846/08/LB – Install replacement vehicular and pedestrian gates and fences – Harlequin House, 43 Abbey Street – Mr & Mrs J Macdonald – Approve  (SCDC already notified of decision)

S/1839/08/F Extension (Amendment to Approved Application Ref S/0357/08/F) – New drawings showing a new window on ground floor of extension in utility room – 21 Mill Lane – Mr & Mrs A J Hutchinson.  Jane Hurst declared an interest and did not take place in the discussions.  Approve.

S/1626/08/F – Additional Dwelling – 13 Birds Close – Mr S James – Amendment – Revised site plans showing on-site parking and turning areas – Information only

 

201/08            Reports from Councillors:

 

Liz Goddard reported that Streetlight No. 19 in Birds Close was flashing.                        Action:  Clerk

The Allotment Association asked if they needed the permission of the landowner to cut back the bush on the corner of the field.  Peter Wombwell agreed to speak to Sarah Robinson.                      Action:  PW

The Allotment Association would also like to take advantage of the free wood chippings and are happy to have them on their site.  They will arrange this with SCDC.  Users of the allotments are currently parking on the motorway bridge due to the waterlogged field.

Sheila Birch reported that the Streetlight outside No. 33 Abbey Street is not working.            Action:  Clerk

Cambridgeshire Volunteers are coming next Sunday to work in Coploe Pit and anyone who would like to help is welcome from 10.00am onwards.

Dilip Odedra is still asking for help in how he can put up a sign for the shop for traffic coming down Abbey Street towards Gt Chesterford.  The Parish Council are happy to assist Mr Odedra in any way they can, and will ask Cllr Williams if he can ask the planners at SCDC, if a sign for a local facility on the side of the bus shelter (which the Parish Council own) could be put up.                                                 Action:  Clerk  

Lewis Duke reported that a ‘night of the road’ had been camping in the Frogge Street bus shelter overnight.  He had asked the Clerk to inform the police.                                                                    

Peter Wombwell reported petty thieving had been taking place from his electric fences.                                                 

 

202/08            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

 

Royal British Legion – the wreath cost £            16.50 and it was agreed make the cheque up to £50.  Cambridgeshire Acre     -            £25.00 

Bank Balances                                

Community Account                                    -            £613.60

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £11,075.18

 

Bank Mandate (RD)  - still outstanding

 

Precept and Parish Clerk’s salary review discussions for January Agenda – this item is a reminder.

Precept –The Clerk will arrange a suitable date for the Finance Committee to meet and discuss.                                                                                                             Action:  Clerk

Parish Clerk’s Salary Review.  Clerks’ interm pay scales for 2008/09 are now available.  The rates are effective from 1 April 2008.                                                                                             Action: Clerk/All

 

203/08            Recreation Field and Play Area:

 

Aerial runway and spring dog handle – Peter Wombwell reported that both these items had been repaired today.

Quotation for Tree work rear of 34 Frogge Street  - this was still outstanding with Mr Lilley.  The Clerk was asked to chase the quotation.                                                                            Action:  Clerk              

 

 

 

 

204/08            Cemetery:

  

Chapel - Grant application to SCDC and response.  A letter from SCDC had been received which stated that grants are given before the work is completed.  Unfortunately in this case the work had been completed before the grant was obtained.  The Clerk has spoken to Shona Smith at SCDC and they will send someone out to look at the work and then make a decision as to whether or not a grant can be given.

Peter Wombwell will meet with A Hoare to discuss further work required.               Action:  PW

Future use of Cemetery Chapel - A general discussion was had and it was agreed to leave it on the Agenda for further discussion.  Enquiries to be made with Redundant Ecclesiastical Buildings.             Action:  Clerk   

Rabbits – this situation is ongoing.

 

205/07            Interaction with Businesses within the village:

Lewis Duke had asked for this item to be put on the Agenda as he said we now have several businesses in the village but the Parish Council do not have much contact with them.  There are probably in excess of 85 jobs within the village plus those that work from home. 

Mr Duke and the Clerk will compile a list of local business within the village and this item will be discussed again at the next meeting.                                                                                  Action:  LD/Clerk

 

206/08            Adjournment for questions by members of the public            :  None

 

207/08 Date and time of next meeting - 21 January 2009.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45 pm.

 

 

 

Chairman

 

 

 

Date 


Appendix I

 

County Councillor’s Report (Received after Parish Council Meeting)                                   December 2008

 

Hanley Grange

I have discovered that the first meeting of the South Cambridgeshire Regional Spatial Review Panel (CReSSP) already took place on 18th November.  The minutes can be found at:

 

http://www2.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/db/council2.nsf/selectagenda?OpenForm

 

drop down menu under full title Joint Cambridgeshire Regional Spatial Strategy Review Panel

 

I am rather upset about this because there was no publicity about the creation of this panel nor the meeting.

 

The next meeting of the Panel, which is open to the public, will be at midday on 9th January 2009 at Shire Hall.  By then the County Council should have collated all the initial information relating to a Spatial Strategy for Cambridgeshire to take us to 2031.  Initial policy advice is to be submitted to the East of England Regional Assembly by 6th February.

 

I have kept the Hanley Grange Joint Action Group committee informed.


Formula One at Duxford

The Imperial War Museum invites all residents to attend a briefing in Airspace on:  Monday 15th December at 6.30 pm. The briefing will last approximately one hour and is to cover activities at Duxford including the proposed Renault Formula One Test Days.

 

If anyone is interested in attending please call Pauline Trigg on 01223 499303.

 

I have sent a message to all Parish Clerks but I think details of the meeting have not been widely circulated and very few people have signified a wish to attend.

 

Transport Innovation Fund

The County has appointed Sir Simon Briscoe to chair the Transport Innovation Fund Transport Commission. 

 

There is severe disagreement in the ruling party about the Transport Innovation Fund so it might be worth mentioning that in general where you hear Congestion Charge it is an anti speaking and when Transport Innovation Fund it is a pro.

 

The essential background is that there are still 50,000 houses to be built in the Cambridge sub-region by 2021 with a 20 to 25% increase in the size of the city of Cambridge.  If nothing significant is done this will bring about:

 

 

Sir Brian’s Transport Commission is to report its findings in July 2009, the County’s Cabinet then considers them at its September meeting and in October the whole matter will go to full council.  If it is decided to go ahead then in early 2010 the Department for Transport will decide whether the plans are good enough to merit official Programme Entry status.  Even at that stage there is no guarantee that Cambridgeshire will go ahead.

 

The County has given an assurance that the £500 million in transport improvements such as improved roads, improved cycle access, better and more frequent buses and trains will be in place before the congestion charge is imposed.  That means that the earliest date on which the charge will become payable will be 2015.  The congestion charge or demand management is a pre-requisite of a Transport Innovation Fund bid.

 

Galvanized Gates

I have now had a comprehensive answer about the upkeep of furniture on footpaths.

 

Footpaths are a public right of way. The County is responsible for maintaining them.  But landowners have the duty to prevent animals from straying.  So where barriers such as stiles and gates are installed on public footpaths to prevent animals straying the landowner is responsible for maintenance of those barriers, which must conform to British Standards. In practice the County grants up to 25% of the maintenance cost of these barriers. These impediments to the highway should be recorded on relevant maps.

 

In Ickleton’s case the landowners were consulted and made aware of what was happening.  The bridge is entirely the responsibility of the County because it does not impede or aid the movement of livestock. In general terms a bridge over a culvert on a public footpath used for farm animals would be maintained by the landowner.  Maintenance of the remainder of the furniture is also the responsibility of the landowner.  There is no objection to the galvanized furniture being painted but the County would not contribute to that because it is not essential.  The County also believes that the shine on the galvanized furniture will become less apparent after weathering.

 

I hope that gives you the information you need.

 

End of Year

I wish you all the best for Christmas and thank you for all your kindness during the year. I apologise in advance for not being able to attend January’s meeting.  I shall try to send you a report before I leave the country.