ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 19 August 2009 at 7.30pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall. 

 

Present:  Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Terry Sadler, Sheila Birch, Tim Pavelin, Mark Stone-Wigg, Liz Goddard, Cllr John Williams (District Councillor)

 

127/09            Apologies for absence:  Robin Driver, Peter Wombwell, Cllr Timothy Stone (County)

 

In the absence of the Chairman Robin Driver, Lewis Duke took the Chair.

 

128/09 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 15 July 2009: 116/09 – This should read “Liz Goddard reported that it was felt the owner/occupier of No 1 Priory Farmyard was unlikely to reduce the trees in height in the footpath between Abbey Street and Back Lane.  The Chairman asked Cllr Stone to make enquires regarding the situation if others cut down the trees & who would pay”.     Following this amendment the minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

129/09            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None

 

130/09            Matters Arising:

053/06  Land Registry – Signing of the Trust Deed & Village Hall Lease – It was proposed and agreed by all that the Trust Deed should be signed.  In the absence of Robin Driver, it was agreed that it be signed by Terry Sadler and Tim Pavelin, (who are both bank signatories).  The copies will now be returned to Pam Fearn who will obtain signatories from the Village Hall Committee.  Once this has been done, copies will be sent to Adams Harrison, Hewitsons, Charity Commission and one put on file.  This should enable Adams Harrison to complete the Village Hall lease.                                                        Action:  Clerk

Cllr John Williams joined the meeting.

028/07  Tennis Courts – Proposal – The Clerk had received a phone call from David Human.  He had spoken with Stella Parker and they had agreed that they would like to receive a proposal from the Parish Council as to what we would like to do and their part in this proposal.  Mark Stone-Wigg will work with the Chairman (Robin Driver) and the tennis court committee in presenting a draft to the meeting next month.  The Clerk will write to David Human thanking him for the possibility of entertaining this project.              

                                                                                                                        Action:  MS-W/RD/JAF

026/09   Gritting of roads by farmers (Cllr Stone) – the Parish Council felt that as autumn was approaching they would like a response for the next meeting.                                                              Action:  Cllr Tim Stone

034/09   Freedom of Information Act – Terry Sadler and the Clerk will arrange a meeting in the near future to discuss this.            (See correspondence from CPALC – South Cambs Parish Forum).         Action:  TS/Clerk

099/09   Footpath between Abbey St & Back Lane – this has been cleared but Liz Goddard reported that more weeds had grown and there was still some overhanging from trees.  She will address this problem.                                                                                                                                                               Action:  LG

110/09   Gypsy Corner – Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) had reported that he has put in to resurface the part of the road where there are continuing potholes.

Water Lane – this has now been cut.

116/09   Street Light (Birds Close) – this had now been repaired.

Cutting down of trees (Cllr Stone) – no response had been received.            Action:  Cllr Tim Stone

120/09   Village Sign – A letter had been sent to Mr & Mrs Hoare thanking them for volunteering to paint the sign.  The Parish Council will reimburse them for the cost of the paint.                           Action:  Clerk

121/09   Police Surgery 27 July 2009 – For some unknown reason the police did not respond to our request.  This will be mentioned at the next Police Neighbourhood Panel Meeting on October 5.    Action: LD/Clerk

122/09   Coploe Road – Speeding & 30mph sign (Cllr Stone) – The Parish Council would like Cllr Stone to pursue the alteration of the 30mph speed limit sign.  Liz Goddard asked if the trees along the road towards the allotments could be cut back.  The Clerk will contact Peter Wombwell and ask if he could speak to Sarah Robinson.                                                                                               Action: Cllr Stone/Clerk

 

131/09 Youth Representation:  None

 

132/09            Reports from District and County Councillors:

There were no written reports received this month.

Cllr Williams discussed the situation regarding the Enertrag Linton Wind Turbine planning application.

Cllr Williams mentioned the Chairman’s Delegation Procedure.  A meeting is being held at SCDC on 1st

September at 9.30 am.  The Chairman asked if Terry Sadler and Sheila Birch (Planning Committee) could liaise with Robin Driver about attending this meeting.                                                       Action:  TS/SB

 

Cllr Williams also responded to Sheila Birch’s query about adapting homes for disabilities.

 

133/09            Correspondence received:

SCDC (Holly Adams)                        -            Registration of Members’ Interests

SCDC/CCC                              -            Swine Flu information

Cllr J Williams                           -            Enertrag Linton Wind Turbine Application

CCC (Highways)                   -            Flooding – Grange Road

CCC (Env. Services)                      -            Cambridgeshire Minibus Brokerage Scheme

Cllr T Stone                              -            Litter Picks

Cambs. Police                           -            The Bobby Scheme                                     

Valuation Officer (St Albans) -            Cemetery – Proposal to alter the 2005 Non Domestic Rating

Comberton Parish Council            -            Chairman’s Delegation Procedure (Planning)

Caxton Parish Council             -            Chairman’s Delegation Procedure (Planning)

Village Hall Man. Com.                   -            Trust Deed/Mrs Woodley’s Bench

Gt Chesterford Parish Council            -            Land adjacent to Stump’s Cross (copy sent to Env. Agency)

Network Rail (Toby Meadows)            -            Ditch near Mill Lane Level Crossing

Canalbs Ltd                              -            Training Courses

HMRevenue & Customs            -            Information recovering VAT for Village halls etc.

S Casement (Churchwarden)           -            Churchyard grass

Duxford Primary School            -            Letters of thanks for children

Cambs. Acre                            -            Cambs. Together Rural Strategy Dev/Stakeholder Consultation.

Cambs. Acre                            -            Cambridgeshire Together e-magazine/AGM 29 Sept.

Cambs. Acre                            -            Rural Cambs. – Ensuring a Vibrant Future

Roland Amey                            -            Heating & Plumbing services

IOG Saltex                                -            Exhibition 8-10 September, Windsor Racecourse

NALC                                      -            DIS – fortnightly news service.

NHS                                         -            AGM – 22 September 2009 – Ely

Barclays                                   -            Information about Community Account

CPALC                                                -            September Training & Information Seminar

CPALC                                                -            South Cambs Parish Forum – 8 Oct 2009 – Sawston

CPALC                                                -            Future Jobs Fund

Society of LCC                         -            Forms & Record keeping/Conference 24 September

COPE                                      -            Newsletter No. 58

East of England Reg. Ass            -            East of England Plan–10 September–Robinsons College

                                                            @ 6.45 pm (LD hoping to attend)

East of England Dev. Agency            -            Seminar to look at surviving & thriving in the current climate.

P Whitmell/R Hammond            -            Application to erect marquee/marching Band – 01/05/2010

JW & M Bristow             -            Planning Applications regarding Trees (Copy: Cllr J Williams)

LexisNexis                                -            Arnold-Baker: Local Council Administration 8th Edition

Stop Stansted Expansion            -            Stansted Airport Noise Action Plan

Correspondence sent:

SCDC (Revenue Services)            -            Cemetery – Non-Domestic Rates

Camb. Housing Society             -            Trees adj. No. 25 Coploe Road

R Pemberton                             -            Quotation Village Sign

Mr & Mrs A Hoare               -            Village Sign

C Frankau                                 -            Footpath 3 – Water Lane

Planning Inspectorate                  -            Land rear of 9-17 Grange Road

Mr R Beech                              -            Freedom of Information Act – Copy of Accounts

Duxford PC (Mike Parker)            -            Possible Planning Application by Bidwells for Duxford

 

134/09            Planning application(s) received from SCDC:             Declarations of Interest to be declared.

S/0975/09/F – Extensions & Alterations – 30 Church Street – Mr & Mrs Peter Cocks

(+ Amendment: further information to show height of proposed roof lights – Information only.)

Mr Lewis Duke declared an interest in this application and did not take part in the discussions.

Approve

S/0078/09/LB – Proposed Roof light – Church Barn, Butcher’s Hill – Dr Jane Roberts -   Approve.

S/0766/09/F – Garage/Workshop/Store with Annexe (Amended design to include 2 Velux Escape Roof lights)– section drawing showing balustrade arrangement – 33 Frogge Street – Ms P Fearn – Information only                                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC:

S/0803/09/F – Extensions – 14 Birds Close – Miss Elizabeth Gibson

Applications (to SCDC) to carry out tree works subject to a tree preservation order or situated within a conservation area:

C/11/40/54 – Fell Ash Trees (2) also fell Leylandi x 38.  Replace with privet hedge/Thorn/Yew – 1-3 Frogge Street – Mr O Thain -   Approve                                                                                       Action:  Clerk

 

135/09            Reports from Councillors:

Tim Pavelin reported that Crocus Football Club only have one team playing this year.  This will affect the income that we receive from the club.

Mrs Woodley’s Bench – the Village Hall Management Committee had received a report, following the recent vandalism, from the Architectural Liaison Officer of Cambridgeshire Constabulary.  One of the items mentioned was that this bench should be moved together with the litterbin.  The Parish Council felt at this stage that the bench had not added to the problem.  They will revisit this at the request of the Village Hall Committee or if anything develops.                                                                                      Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler reported that relating to Enertrag Linton Wind Turbine Application, he was disappointed that the County Council Highways had been remiss in responding to SCDC with regard to road safety on the A1307.  The Clerk will ask Cllr Stone to look into this.                                                            Action:  Clerk

Sheila Birch reported a pothole in Abbey Street.  She will let the Clerk know the exact location.

                                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

Lewis Duke felt that the E-Cops e-mails were giving too much detail/blog.  He would prefer them to return to more punchy and informative news and not create humour out of serious issues.

 

136/09            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

SCDC Cemetery Rates - £50.00.  The Clerk will check to see if we need to send this cheque as we have put in an appeal/deferral.                                                                                                     Action:  Clerk

Harts - £71.40 (July Icene)            Moore Stephens - £155.25

The Annual Return for the year ended 31 March 2009 has now closed following the external audit (without query) by Moore Stephens.

Receipts:  HM Revenue & Customs (VAT Refund) - £625.81                       

Bank Balances        

Community Account                                    -            £1,036.10

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £10,834.48

                                                                       

137/09            Recreation Field and Play Area:
RoSPA report – Mark Stone-Wigg reported that there were items, which needed to be monitored but that the aerial runway did need attention.  It was agreed that Mark would speak to Robin Driver & Peter Wombwell with a view to resolving these problems in the near future.  Mark would report back to the next meeting as to what was the best course of action.                                                                Action:  M S-W

 

138/09            Cemetery: 

·                 Chapel – Condition to be kept under Review

·                 Rabbits – Peter Wombwell was looking at ways to try and cull the rabbits

·                 Trees in Cemetery – the Clerk had spoken to BT who said we would have to pay to have the telephone wires moved.  This item to be left for the time being but kept on the Agenda.      Action:  Clerk

·                 Burial plot – Old Cemetery – Malcolm Evans – nothing further had been heard from Mr. Evans. 

    Action:  Clerk

·                 SCDC re Non-Domestic Rates for Cemetery – A letter had been sent to SCDC responding to their letter dated 7 July 2009.  A Business Rates Deferral Scheme application form has been completed and submitted, as has a Proposal to alter the 2005 rating list.  The latter has been acknowledged by the Valuation Officer (Mark Catley) at St Albans and we await his reply.                                  Action:  TS                             

Churchyard – Strimming in September (before Harvest Festival) – The Clerk will liaise with the Churchwardens/Ron Coulson regarding the date so that the grass is cut.  Liz Goddard volunteered to strim the Churchyard after the grass had been cut.                                                                         Action:  Clerk/LG

 

139/09            Flooding:

·                     Land adj. Stumps Cross – Robin Driver had sent an e-mail to Cllr Stone (a copy has not yet been circulated).  Lewis Duke has been liaising with Peter Fentem (Chairman of Gt Chesterford Parish Council).  Mr Fentem had sent a draft of a letter he is sending to Mike Bodell at the Environment Agency.  The letter was read out and the Councillors were happy for this letter to be sent.  Lewis Duke would thank Mr Fentem for writing the letter.    It was agreed that a dossier on flooding would be compiled by Lewis Duke and Robin Driver, which they would communicate to Mr Bodell to help him with his study.      Action:  LD 

·                     Drain top of Mill Lane -  Robin Driver, Lewis Duke and the Clerk met with Mike Cooper (CCC Highways) to discuss this problem.  Mr Cooper pointed out that he flushed/cleared all the drains down Mill Lane until the drain crossed the road near the level crossing into a ditch, which was on Network Rail ground.  The Clerk had contacted Network Rail and it is hoped that they will clear the ditch. Action:  Clerk

·                     Abbey Street opp. Methodist Chapel – The above party then inspected the problem here.  The drain that was supposed to assist taking the rainwater had been blocked up when the kitchen extension to the Chapel had been built.  Lewis Duke agreed with Mike Cooper that a soak away could be dug in the field just past No. 72 Abbey Street.

·                     Grange Road – A resident had complained that flooding was occurring at the bungalows near the motorway bridge.  The party checked the road and found that the ditch adjacent to the New House, needed digging out and that the headway needed to be unblocked.   Mr Cope was reluctant to spend money in digging the ditch out as he said it was not in his deeds.  The Councillors felt that ditches adjoining properties were normally the responsibility of the landowner.  Mr Duke will contact Mr Cope and discuss further.                                                                                                                                            Action:  LD

·                     Wellcome Trust – Sheila Birch would like to arrange a meeting for early October.  This item will be put on next month’s Agenda so that suggestions for the Wellcome Trust Agenda could be made.

            Action: Clerk/All

 

140/09            Register of Members’ Interests:

SCDC has written asking if we could confirm the name of the current members of the Parish Council and also to confirm their Registration of Members’ Interest forms.  The Councillors present agreed there were no changes to the forms they re-signed in May 2009.  The Clerk will contact Robin Driver and Peter Wombwell to see if they had any changes to be made.  Once this had been done, the Clerk will respond to SCDC.                                                                                                                             Action:  Clerk

 

141/09 CCC - Swine Flu:

Correspondence had been received from SCDC, forwarding from CCC details of a Emergency Planning Awareness Seminar on 1st October at 6pm in their offices should anyone wish to attend.  CCC was also making plans for the mass vaccination of the population of Cambridgeshire and was asking for details of village halls.   This information will be passed to the Village Hall to complete and return.

Cambridgeshire County Council had also written asking for volunteers to support the communities.  They propose to open up to 16 centres, each operating for 12 hours a day and 7 days a week.  They are looking for people who are able to deal with the public, comfortable in a community setting and who have good organising skills.  This will be put in the Icene, asking residents to give this request their urgent consideration and if they feel they can help, to contact the Parish Clerk.                                        Action:  Clerk

 

142/09            Adjournment for questions by members of the public:  None

 

143/09 Date and time of next meeting :  16 September 2009 at 7.30 pm      

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.27 pm.

 

 

 

Chairman

 

 

 

Date