ICKLETON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 16 June 2010 at 7.30 pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall.

 

Present: Terry Sadler (Chairman), Lewis Duke, Sheila Birch, Tim Pavelin, Jane Hurst, Peter Wombwell, Liz Goddard, Mark Stone-Wigg, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk) and Liz Gibson

 

097/10            Apologies for absence: Cllr John Williams (District)

 

098/10 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 May 2010:  The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

099/10            Adjournment for questions from members of the public: None

 

Liz Gibson left the meeting.

 

100/10 Co-option of new Councillor.  There were three candidates wishing to be considered for co-option onto the Parish Council.  Each candidate was proposed and seconded.  It was proposed and agreed that the vote should take place by ballot and in private to facilitate orderly conduct of the ballot.  The vote then took place. Liz Gibson obtained a majority and was duly co-opted to the Parish Council and invited back into the room.  A Declaration of Acceptance and Register of Members’ Interests was given to her to complete and return to the Clerk.  Liz Gibson could remain at the meeting but would not be allowed to take part in any voting until next month.                                                                                        Action:  LGibson/Clerk

 

101/10            Matters Arising:

 

028/07  Tennis Courts – Report from Tennis Court Committee – Mark Stone-Wigg reported that the sub-committee had met and discussed the report from Snow Walker.  Their main issues of concern were:

Clare Driver joined the meeting.

 

Lewis Duke asked if there was still wider support for the provision of tennis facilities within the village.  It would be good to see some momentum.   It was agreed to include this in the Clerk’s monthly report for Icene.                                                                                                                            Action:  M S-W/Clerk

116/09  Trimming back of trees by Owner Mr A Fleet  - The Chairman had still been unable to make contact with the owner but would continue to try.                                                           Action:  TS

211/09  Mill Lane road sign  - The Clerk had had no further response from SCDC, but Cllr Williams reported that the contractor should put up the new sign this week (Thursday).                       Action:  Clerk

027/10   Potholes  - All the potholes that had been reported had now been filled.

064/10   Heydon Grange Wind Farm  - nothing to report at the moment.                                   Action:  TS

067/10  Riverside Barns  - Cllr Williams had discussed this with the Enforcement Officer at SCDC, who said he would look into it but he had received no reply to date.                                                        Action:  JW

 073/10   Gritting of roads  - The Chairman had raised this issue at the Highways meeting he had attended this week.  The winter maintenance review is not yet completed but he suspects that it is unlikely that the farmers will be allowed to grit the road.  The question was asked ‘If farmers purchased the grit and salted the road, at no cost to the Highway – could they do it?’  The Clerk was asked to contact Cllr Stone to ask him to speak to Highways and report back.                                                                   Action: Cllr TS

074/10   Adoption of Model Standing Orders for Local Councils  - The Chairman had been unable to further this item.                                                                                                              Action:  TS

088/10   Signage on roadside outside Ickleton Riverside Barns  - This had been reported to CCC Highways but no comment had been received back.

094/10   Grass cutting protected grass verges  - Following our letter to CCC Countryside Services Team; an e-mail had been received from the Ecology Officer regarding the management of the verges.  It was agreed that Peter Wombwell and the Clerk would compile a response.                                            Action:  PW/Clerk

 

102/10 Youth Representation:  None

 

103/10            Reports from District and County Councillors:

 

Appendix I            -            District Councillor

Appendix II            -            County Councillor (Received after the meeting)

 

104/10            Correspondence received:

CCC (S McFee)                        -            Abbey Farm Culvert/Road closure 12 July – 15 August 2010

An objection will be lodged concerning the lack of notice and highly inconvenient timing (Harvest Time).

CCC (M Cooper)            -            Hole in pavement – BT – Frogge Street

CCC (J Stephens)            -            Network Management Highways

SCDC (H Adams)            -            Election of Parish Council member to Standards Committee (2)

SCDC (G Barron) -            South Cambs. Community Pride & Village Hero Awards

SCDC (K Miles)   -            South Cambs. & Cambridge City Council Strategic Flood Risk Ass.

CPALC                                    -            Newsletter 9 June 2010

CPRE                           -            AGM notice 6/7/10

Various e-mails             -            Circulated to Councillors as they are received

Wicksteed Playscapes            -            Customer Satisfaction Survey

Cambs. Acre                -            New Products & Services Guide/Newsletter/News Digest/Magazine

Sutcliffe Play                -            Literature

Glasdon                        -            Invitation Product Exhibition

Stop Stansted Exp.     -            Second runway application withdrawn

Gt Chesterford PC       -            Citi 7 Bus Service

COPE                          -            Newsletter No. 67

Cambs. Police               -            E-Cops updates

Correspondence sent:

CCC                             -            Protected grass verges

 

105/10            Planning application(s) received from SCDC:            

S/0869/10/F – Creation of vehicular access & first floor side extension & alteration – 111 Frogge Street – Mr Roy Harris.  The Councillors were very concerned about:

·         It was on a dangerous bend (not indicated on the map) cars travel at speed along the road at that point.  It was mentioned that cars go into the ditch every winter on that bend. 

·         The new access showed no splays

·         The access would also involve a breach of Planning Condition 4 in the permission granted 01/09/2008 under Ref. S/0330/08/F.  After discussion, the Councillors voted to Refuse the application.                                                                                                     Action:  Clerk

Declarations of Interest to be declared – Jane Hurst declared an interest in S/0542/10/F and did not take part in the discussions.

Amendment – S/0542/10/F – Amendments to proposed side porch alterations and to omit front porch alterations – Mrs Hurst & Mrs Godfrey – Approve                                                              Action:  Clerk

 

 

Planning application(s) granted by SCDC: 

S/0477/10/F – Roof light – 9 Brookhampton Street – Mr Stephen Davidson

S/0595/10/F – Dwelling – Land to the North-West of 27 Frogge Street – Mark Winter Property Developments Ltd. and Mrs S Parker

           

106/10            Reports from Councillors:

Liz Goddard – reported Dog Fouling along the footpath between Back Lane and Abbey Street and asked if this could be mentioned in Icene.                                                                                Action:  Clerk

Liz agreed/volunteered to do the strimming in the Churchyard before the following dates:  June 26 (Fete), July 24 (Wedding) and September 25 (Wedding and Harvest Festival).            The Clerk will speak to Ron Coulson and notify Simon Casement.                                                                              Action:  LG/Clerk

Lewis Duke and Peter Wombwell felt that a suitable gift should be given to Robin Driver to mark his service to the village – everyone agreed.  Suggestions for a gift were mentioned together with tree planting.  This item will be put on the next Agenda to finalise the choice of gift.               Action:  Clerk/TS/LW/PW

Lewis Duke reported that CCC/Network Rail had been in touch after a long silence, and would be meeting, with relevant landowners regarding the line of the footpath from Hinxton railway crossing to Duxford.  Lewis Duke will ask why the Parish Council was not informed about this.                                 Action:  LD

Peter Wombwell reported that several cars were parking on the pavement in Abbey Street and that a car was parked on the road with a sheet over it, which made it hard to see in the dark as no reflectors are showing.                                                                                                                          Action:  Clerk

Terry Sadler gave feedback on meetings he had attended:

(a)     Internal Auditor/Clerk who were completing the External Auditors form.  Our internal auditor commented on the excellent accounts kept and the good Risk Assessment.  The Bank Mandate was discussed and no alterations need to be made.  It was agreed that we should carry out a review of the
Council’s Insurance arrangements in depth every 3 years.

(b)                Together with Sheila Birch, he attended the Parish Planning Forum at SCDC on 14 June.  It was pointed out that the Planning IT system would be out of action for July.  The discussion about Community Orchards was very interesting.  Liz Goddard will speak to the Allotment Association when the documents from the meeting have been circulated.  As costs involved with a Community Orchard appear to be modest, the Parish Council should be able to provide assistance.

(c)                Following a letter received from SCDC regarding the adoption of the Telephone Kiosk, he took the opportunity to clarify a few points.  The Parish Council continues to wish to adopt the kiosk.

(d)                He had attended a Highways Warden Meeting this week.  The scheme is now 18 months old and a decision has to be made about its future; the perception was positive.

Jocelyn Flitton reported that a resident had asked if a dog bin could be installed near Tin Alley as dog-fouling bags were being thrown in the alleyway.  As an article was already going into Icene, it was agreed to mention this as well.

The Clerk and Sandra Burton had planted daffodil bulbs in Butchers Hill and Frogge Street.  Mr and Mrs T Burton had kindly donated the bulbs.

           

107/10            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

STEP pest control Ltd (gassing rabbits in Cemetery)  -  £287.87

D Odedra ( Annual Parish Meeting)  -  £26.14                   Playsafety Ltd (RoSPA report)  -  £155.10

 

Bank Balances:

Community Account                                    -            £333.34

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £17,839.84       

                                   

108/10            Recreation Field and Play Area

Aerial Runway – meeting with Trevor Silk – Peter Wombwell and the Clerk had met with Mr Silk and had gone through the various items that needed attention.  A quotation had been received to carry out the work at a cost of £119.00 + VAT.  It was proposed and seconded that this was quotation was accepted.                                                                                                                                                             Action:  Clerk

RoSPA report – The report had been circulated via e-mail and the Councillors felt that the new style report does not give enough detail this year and is not so informative.  The comments about the Skate Park were particularly unhelpful.  It was agreed that a letter would be written to Playsafety Limited pointing this out.

                                                                                                                                       Action:  Clerk

 

109/10            Cemetery  - Chapel – Condition to be kept under Review            

 

110/10            Churchyard Wall – Sheila Birch reported that she thought the Quinnenial Review had taken place and would check to see if this was the case.                                                                                Action:  SB

 

111/10            Flooding

 

Land adj. Stumps Cross

Lewis Duke reported and updated the Councillors on the current situation. 

 

Lewis Duke has been in touch with Cambridge University Aerial photography unit, which has photos prior to motorway being built.

It was felt that we should get CCC involved via Cllr Tim Stone and probably Cambridge City Council.  This Chairman will take this on.  Sheila Birch asked if the hardcore issue would be addressed.  EA appeared to be satisfied with the situation, a standpoint that was hard to understand.         Action:  LD/TS

Drain top of Mill Lane – The Clerk had been in touch with Network Rail for an update but as yet had no further news.                                                                                                                   Action:  Clerk

Abbey Street opp. Methodist Chapel – this project is currently on hold by CCC.

Abbey Street/Butcher’s Hill – Mr Gildersleeve has given permission for the drains to be flushed – date to be confirmed by CCC.                                                                                                               Action:  Clerk

 

112/10 Annual Parish Meeting – Review of points raised:

Residents of Frogge Street mentioned the speeding of vehicles

Speedwatch – residents would like to be reminded of what is required to carry out this task.

Houses left unoccupied.

Allotment Association – Warning Sign

These items will be carried forward and put on next month’s Agenda.                                       Action:  Clerk

 

113/10            Adjournment for questions by members of the public:

Clare Driver expressed interest in the Community Orchards.  Regarding the land adj. to Stumps Cross, she asked if a clause could be included that responsibility should be taken if there is flooding in the future.  She supported the idea of going to the press.

 

114/10 Date and time of next meeting - 21 July 2010 at 7.30 pm.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.15pm

 

Chairman                                                                                Date
Appendix I            -            District Councillor’s Report

Responses to items contained in the minutes.

 

Appendix II            -            County Councillor’s Report            (Received after the meeting)

 

Roads

The situation on maintaining our roads is dire.  The sainted Mike Cooper’s budget is already under enormous pressure and we are only two months into the financial year.

 

“First”, which is a weekly magazine published by the Local Government Association ran an article in a recent issue which congratulated councils in fixing a record number of potholes – in some cases 10 times the “normal number.”  The article was saved by the statement that “After years of under funding, there are more roads now that need resurfacing than councils’ road maintenance budgets can cope with.”  It goes on to say, “We need to make sure councils can carry out proper maintenance and not store up problems for the future and that will involve thinking differently about the way we fund road infrastructure.”

 

In this period of impending budget cuts there should be a prize available for anyone who can propose what this “different thinking” will involve.

 

Finance

Which brings us on to money.  The council has to have its annual accounts approved by the end of June.  The year ended on 31st March.  The first draft should be available very shortly and will be studied with care.  There have been fairly sharp gyrations during the year in respect of Community and Adult Services, partly brought about by adjusting to a budget shared with the Primary Care Trust.  No surprises are expected as taxpayers money is usually very well looked after.

 

Cereals

The Cereals display at Chrishall Grange has caused unwelcome congestion, particularly at the morning and evening rush hours.  The congestion was most apparent on the A505 and a number of smaller feeder roads, especially Hunts Road, Duxford. That was despite a great deal of effort put into planning off site parking and transport to and from the site.

 

There is to be a post event de-brief to find out what went wrong.  Meanwhile next year’s Cereals exhibition is to take place in Lincolnshire.

 

Another Survey

The County is conducting a survey of 5,500 people to establish how they view our roads compared with roads managed by other authorities across the country. Apparently there was a similar done last year and I have asked for the findings.