Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 17 June 2009 at 7.30pm in the Meeting Room, Ickleton Village Hall.


Present: Robin Driver (Chairman), Lewis Duke, Jane Hurst, Sheila Birch, Terry Sadler, Mark Stone-Wigg, Liz Goddard, Tim Pavelin, Peter Wombwell, Jocelyn Flitton (Parish Clerk), Cllr John Williams (District Councillor) and 3 members of the public.


091/09            Apologies for absence: Cllr Timothy Stone (County Councillor)


092/09 To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 20 May 2009: The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.


093/09            Adjournment for questions from members of the public:  None


094/09            Matters Arising:

053/06  Land Registry – Village Hall Lease – Mr Marris (Adams Harrison) had forwarded some e-mails received from Hewitsons (acting for Ickleton Village Hall).  Pam Fearn reported that the matter was in hand and would shortly be presented to the Village Hall Management Committee for approval.               Action:  Clerk

028/07  Tennis Courts – the Clerk has spoken again with David Human who needs speak to Stella Parker regarding the land in question.                                                                                         Action:  Clerk

201/08   Shop Sign – the Clerk had contacted Mike Cooper (CCC) regarding a sign fixed to the bus shelter.  He reported that it is dependant on a number of factors and would likely require planning permission.  He suggested Dilip Odedra send him details and a plan of the proposed sign.  Cllr Williams reported (in his written report) no progress at the moment, as a meeting with the County Highways had not yet been arranged.  The Clerk was asked to contact CCC (Highways) and remind them of unauthorised signs in the village.   They were disappointed that this item is taking so long to resolve.                  Action:  Clerk

026/09  Gritting of roads by farmers (Cllr Stone) – to be left on the Agenda.                  Action:  Cllr T Stone

034/09  Freedom of Information Act – Terry Sadler still had this in hand.                                      Action: TS

050/09  Churchyard – date for working party – Saturday 20 June 2009 – this date had been circulated to the Parish Council.  A note had been received from the Parochial Church Council requesting that areas around the gravestones, hedges/edges plus the Garden of Remembrance be tidied up.  It was agreed to leave this until after the working party had finished on Saturday.                                                              Action:  Clerk

082/09  Formula 1 at Imperial War Museum – IWM have notified us of further testing dates on Tuesday 23 June, Wednesday 29 July and a further date to be confirmed.  The noise emitted by the cars has caused much concern locally and still needs to be monitored.                                                             Action:  Clerk


095/09 Youth Representation:  None


Cllr John Williams joined the meeting.


096/09            Reports from District and County Councillors:


Appendix I            -            District Councillor

Cllr John Williams left the meeting

Appendix II            -            County Councillor


097/09            Correspondence received:

Rt Hon Sir A Haselhurst MP            -            Land adj. to Stumps Cross, Gt Chesterford

Andrew Lansley CBE MP       -            Land adj. to Stumps Cross, Gt Chesterford

Environment Agency             -            Land adj. to Stumps Cross, Gt Chesterford

SCDC                                      -            Housing Transfer Ballot

SCDC                                      -            Tree Procedure (A Bevan)/Cypresses Hedge (P Owen)

SCDC                                      -            Stds Board for England Review / Parish Council Monthly Update

SCDC                                      -            Riding the Recession

CCC                                         -            Parish Path Partnership (P3) 2008/2009 + Notes

CCC                                         -            Life on the Verge

CCC                                         -            Cycling in Cambridge

E-cops                                      -            Damage to Ickleton Village Hall

Sawston Village College -            Sawston Heritage Project Celebration

Cambs Acre                             -            News Digest/User Survey

Cambridge Univ. Press                   -            A Midsummer Night’s Dream – 24,25 & 27 June

CPALC                                                -            South Cambs Parish Corum Meetings  + various e-mails

Barclays Bank                          -            Crocus Football Club

CCC (M Cooper)                        -            Potholes/Frogge Street

Adams Harrison (A Marris) -            Village Hall Lease

S Casement                              -            Churchyard Clearance Working Party

Ickleton Village Hall                  -            Dates relating to breaking of windows

IWM                                        -            Dates of Renault F1 test days at Duxford/Flying Legends

LDF                                         -            Gypsy & Traveller DPD Issues

CPRE                                       -            Annual Report 2008/09/ Fieldwork

Rural Services Community            -            Latest weekly Rural News Focus – 9 June 09

C Driver                                   -            Potholes Frogge Street

Enertrag                                   -            British Wind Energy Assoc. – opening North Pickenham

Carillion WSP                           -            Change of Address

DW Lighting                             -            Offering Street light repairs

Strutt & Parker                         -            Apologies for Annual Parish Meeting

COPE                                      -            Newsletter No. 56

Glasdon                                    -            Catalogues

Stop Stansted Expansion            -            Practical Guide to reporting aircraft noise nuisance

J Taylor                                    -             Marquee on Recreation Ground

J Taylor                                    -            Road Closure/Diverted Buses

Wellcome Trust                         -            Fireworks 11 July at 10.30 pm (lasting approx. 15 mins)

J Casement                               -            Request to strim Water Lane. (Quotation)       Action:  Clerk

Correspondence sent:

Environment Agency             -            Land adj. to Stumps Cross, Gt Chesterford

E-cops                                      -            Various items

Malcolm Evans                         -            Burial plot in Ickleton Cemetery

CCC (M Cooper)                        -            Potholes/Frogge Street

Cambs. Police                           -            Sgt Mark Kathro - Letter of thanks

Suffolk Acre                             -            Letter acknowledging Insurance quotation

Mr P Came                               -            Letter acknowledging Insurance quotation


Frogge Street:  The road was closed today for resurfacing to take place.  This had caused problems as no notice about the closure was received but especially to the bus service, despite the fact that Highways did notify Stagecoach this did not get passed onto the drivers.  It was agreed to write to Cllr T Stone (Copy: Stagecoach/D Lilley).                                                                                                      Action:  Clerk


098/09            Planning application(s) received from SCDC:             Declarations of Interest to be declared.

S/0437/09/F – Replacement Shed – AMENDMENT – Revised Fenestration to front and rear elevation including omission of port hole window – 44 Frogge Street – Miss LC Driver & Mr D Price – Information only.

S/0766/09/F – Garage/Workshop/Store with Annexe Over (AMENDED design to include 2 Velux Escape Rooflights) – 33 Frogge Street – Ms Pamela Fearn  -  Approve with a note to move the application as soon as possible.                                                                                                                                Action:  Clerk

The Parish Council expressed concerns that the Conservation Department appear to be causing unnecessary delays with applications and we should continue to monitor


Planning application(s) granted by SCDC:

S/0313/09/LB - Alterations-remove partition between kitchen & dining room; remove partition between cloakroom & boiler/store & block external door; form new opening in bedroom wall & convert adjacent bedroom to an en suite bathroom – 20 Church Street – Mr S & Mrs L Parsons.

S/1703/06/HSC – Storage of Acrylonitrile – Land off Ickleton Road, Duxford – Hexcel Composites.

S/1749/06/O – Construction of a Carbon Fibre Precursor Plant – Land off Ickleton Road, Duxford – Hexcel Composites.


099/09            Reports from Councillors:

Terry Sadler reported a pothole in the middle of the road at the junction of Church Street/Frogge Street.

                                                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

The Conifers in the lane between Abbey Street and Back Lane are overhanging the footpath at the Back Lane end.  The Clerk to contact the owner and ask for the trees to be cut back.                      Action:  Clerk

He enquired if a reply had been received from SCDC to the letter sent 5 May 2009 relating to the Cemetery Rates.  No reply had been received and the Clerk had chased SCDC earlier today reminding them that they state in their magazine that letters will be replied to within 10 working days.                    Action:  Clerk

There had been a minor accident recently at the junction of Brookhampton/Church Street.


100/09            Finance (Bank Balances) including payments to:

Allianz (Insurance Renewal)  - £1449.47 – cheque already sent

SCDC Cemetery Rates - £50.00                                Harts (May Icene) - £70.98  

D Odedra (Annual Parish Mtg)  -  £59.06       Ryecroft Data (Annual Parish Mtg Leaflets)  - £12.00

Playsafety Ltd (RoSPA)  -  £248.40                    Receipts -  Crocus FC (Season 2008/09) - £400                        

Printer cost – the Parish Council agreed to pay for the cost a new printer (+ink/site visit) for the Parish Clerk –   THoughton Computing - £212.77

Bank Balances

Community Account                                    -            £  1,994.95

Business Base Rate Tracker Account            -            £10,233.37


101/09            Recreation Field and Play Area

RoSPA report – Mark Stone-Wigg reported that there were a few minor issues.  One of the swing seats was damaged and will eventually need replacing.  Mark will monitor this.                              Action:  M S-W

Tim Pavelin reported the spread of plantains all over the Recreation Ground.  The Clerk to obtain a quotation from C Frankau to treat the weeds.                                                                            Action:  Clerk


102/09            Cemetery

·         Chapel – Condition to be kept under Review

·         Rabbits – this was a continuing problem.  Ferreting can only be carried out in the autumn.  Peter Wombwell will make enquiries about shooting them.                     Action:  PW

·         Trees in Cemetery – still outstanding.                                    Action:  PW

·         Burial plot – Old Cemetery – Malcolm Evans – a letter had been written to Mr Evans and we await response/action.                                          Action:  Clerk       

103/09   Village Sign

The Chairman had approached Vila Mila who had verbally agreed to carry out the work.  The Clerk will make contact to confirm and enquire about the cost.                                                                Action:  Clerk


104/09 Police Surgery – Monday 27 July 2009 – this will be advertised and hopefully as many as possible will visit the police for a chat.                                                                                     Action:  Clerk

Neighbourhood Panel Meeting 6 July 2009 – neither Lewis Duke or Jocelyn Flitton will be able to attend the meeting and will send their apologies. It is hoped that some members of the Parish Council will be able to attend.

Lewis Duke reported that there was a Rural Crime Squad.  The Clerk was asked to find out if there was any local contact with them.                                                                                                        Action:  Clerk

105/09 Coploe Road – Speeding and 30mph Sign

Following the Annual Parish Meeting, the Clerk had contacted CCC Highways.  A reply had been received from David Lines as follows:


“I have looked into moving the 30mph speed limit further along Coploe Road and unfortunately it would not comply with the County Councils speed limit policy. In addition, moving the 30mph speed limit further away from the start of the village development towards the M11 bridge can also have the detrimental effect of increasing vehicle speeds within the village environs as motorists tend to simply ignore the speed limit as it starts in, what is effectively, open countryside.

Pedestrian warning signs would have a limited effect, but with no discretionary budget funding available from the County Council, the parish would have to fund this.

The ideal solution would be the provision of a footway, and in hindsight is something that probably should have been considered when the location of the new allotments was chosen. I would guess the costs of providing a footway is something that the Parish Council could simply not afford. I am sorry I could not be more positive with regards to this matter.”


The Clerk was asked to write to Cllr Tim Stone requesting warning signs as have been installed in Fowlmere near the caravan site.                                                                                              Action:  Clerk


105/09            Flooding

Land adjacent to Stumps Cross, Gt Chesterford

Various correspondences had been received and circulated.  Margaret Bristow reported that the planning application should be submitted by the end of the week – Margaret will notify the Clerk of any information received.  Margaret had been in contact with Tony Sullivan and Paul Calder.  Margaret also reported that ‘dumping’ was still continuing on the site but that a large mound had now been built so that they could not see the field from the property.  Following a letter received from the Environment Officer dated 2 June and replied to on 8 June requesting a meeting, the Parish Council expressed their grave concerns and Lewis Duke felt that the Environment Agency was missing the point.  He suggested that if they do not come to Ickleton (as requested), then we should visit them in Ipswich.  We should also get in touch with Wellcome Trust (Duncan Parsley) reminding them that they should see the planning application.           Action:  Clerk


The thunderstorm on Monday night meant several drains were unable to take the water i.e. Abbey Street and Mill Lane.  The Clerk was asked to report the drain situation in Mill Lane to Highways. Action:  Clerk


106/09            Adjournment for questions by members of the public

Another incident of vandalism had happened at the Village Hall.  The insurance company are saying they will not insure the hall for malicious damage unless electric shutters are fitted.  These would be very expensive and are not the preferred option.  Installation of CCTV is also being investigated.  The current insurance policy expires in July.  Pam Fearn will keep the Parish Council updated.


107/09 Date and time of next meeting - 15 July 2009 at 7.30 pm


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.00 pm.








Appendix I – John Williams - District Councillor                                           June 2009


For Ickleton Parish Council


Signage for Village shop

No progress at the moment as we have not yet arranged a meeting with the County Highways.


Housing Futures

This major policy matter has been resolved. The ballot took place 2 weeks ago and tenants voted approximately 3 to 1 against the proposal to transfer Council housing to a housing association.

This is a major upset for the cabinet of South Cambs, and the opposition will not be ignoring this!


Duxford airfield – Formula 1 car testing

The District Council has received about 16 letters of complaint, and the IWM a similar number. Based on random conservations and hearsay in Duxford and other villages, opinion seems to be divided. Tim Stone will presumably report on IWM discussions.

IWM has publicised the timing of the next 3 planned sessions – Tuesday 23rd June, a date in late July and a third in September.



Appendix II – Timothy Stone – County Councillor


Report to Ickleton Parish Council                                                       17th June 2009



Thank you to all those who voted for me at the recent county council election.  The majority of 540 was 500 up on last time.


The overall county result was pretty well a stalemate.  The Conservatives remain in control, having won three seats from the Liberal Democrats.  The Liberal Democrats won three from the Conservatives and one from Labour while a Green candidate won one from Labour.  The final result is therefore:


Conservatives 42, Lib Dems 23, Labour 2 and Greens 1.  One seat in Ramsey is yet to be decided because the death of a candidate caused the election to be postponed in that Division.


The outgoing leader, Jill Tuck, has been reappointed.


Stumps Cross soil dumping

You have been in correspondence with a number of people about the potential for flooding as a result of soil dumping at Stumps Cross.  The County has been in contact with Essex County Council because the matter is one for Minerals and Waste, which is a County Council activity.  The dumpers have been required to submit a planning application but dumping is apparently continuing.  Cambridgeshire County Council and the Environment Agency will be following the affair.


Frogge Street

With any luck, resurfacing has taken place today. You will note a great deal of resurfacing activity in and around many local villages.


Formula 1 at Duxford

The Imperial War Museum has been very reluctant to comment on the Formula 1 trial. A further trial is expected on 23rd June and possibly a further two before the end of the year.  The Liaison Committee meets on 26th June and issues will be addressed there